Options

Corrie's Unhappy Father Todd To Be Snared Part 5 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote:
    Stop trying to stir it, it won't work. I never used the word 'disgusted'. He annoys and irritates me cos he can't act, but he's never 'disgusted' me and I've never said he does.

And I have no opinion on 'camp men' I don't know any, I only see one - Sean.

I apologise if i misinterpreted your posts but they do come across in that manner. phrases like 'limp wristed lettuce' do come across like that.

Again i apologise if I misinterpreted you.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    carl:) wrote:
    That's not a very nice thing to say ... :(

Actually I think that Sean and Jamie do fit quite well together :eek: :D Though in the current context, it wouldn't work if they went out together :p

You don't think Sean's camp? How is it 'not a very nice thing to say'? :confused: He's the only camp bloke in programmes I watch, so he's the only one I ever see - how is stating a fact an insult? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jill1812 wrote:
    I apologise if i misinterpreted your posts but they do come across in that manner. phrases like 'limp wristed lettuce' do come across like that.

Again i apologise if I misinterpreted you.

I've never called him a 'limp wristed lettuce', I've called him a limp lettuce, as others have done, cos he's OTT camp, and it describes him well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote:
    You don't think Sean's camp? How is it 'not a very nice thing to say'? :confused: He's the only camp bloke in programmes I watch, so he's the only one I ever see - how is stating a fact an insult? :confused:

:o It's just the way you phrased it :o Got the wrong end of the stick I think .... :(
  • Options
    Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,470
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote:
    It's obvious Sean also thinks it's him Jamie's in love with and it did make me laugh at the end with him trying to be 'tragic' in his manner, (when Vi said it was probably him Jamie wanted). Y'know .... 'Oh, God, I have to carry this emotional burden - my best mate's in love with me - part of me SO wants it to be true but the other half ....I have to let him down gently, Vi's my mate too ... Oh, God, it's so tragic!" lol! :D That was all over his face when Vi said what she did. It was the best laugh of the episode! You have to laugh at this storyline, it's too stupid to take seriously. And to think it goes from this rubbish to the rather ikky business of Jamie apparently sleeping with his 'mum'. Crikey! :D

But Jamie and Sean .... Totally ridiculous! I would imagine if a manly man like Jamie WAS gay, Todd or Karl would be more his type - equally menly men :D - and not an obvious limp lettuce like Sean! :D

Yes. Sean totally thinks that Jamie's "secret love" is him & that he's having problems coming to terms with being gay (or bisexual) & that's why he doesn't want to talk about things. Sean also thinks Jamie feels guilty for being with Violet & fancying him. It would be quite amusing if it just wasn't so bad & completely ridiculous. And to cap it all they choose to end the episode with the big "revelation" that Violet thinks Jamie is gay. Please!

I'd have to disagree with your comment about Jamie however. If he were gay he could well be attracted to someone like Todd or Karl. Likewise I do know several couples were one partner is camp like Sean & the other is more "butch" (a la Jamie or Karl).
    Flukie wrote:
    And thanks for answering something for me, RK. I don't watch Corrie 100% so I miss a lot and I was curious to wonder if I'd just missed all the 'wrapped in each others arms to give people ideas' scenes, cos when I watch they just acted like mates without the constant touching and Jamie gazing at Sean in adoring ways like he did tonight. I wondered if it was a slow build up, in other words, or suddenly happening when the storyline started. You gave me the answer, thanks for that! :D

Yes. Before this storyline. Jamie & Sean were like Sean & Adam. They were matey, they had some occasional banter & it was obvious that Jamie (& Adam) had no problem with the fact that Sean is gay (& camp). However there was never (at least until this storyline started) any touchy-feely stuff, & definitely not any of this hugging that we seem to be getting quite a bit of at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote:
    I've never called him a 'limp wristed lettuce', I've called him a limp lettuce, as others have done, cos he's OTT camp, and it describes him well.

It does, and I'm in two minds about him. On one hand he could be seen as a throwback to Mr. Humphries & probably reinforces the impression amongst certain sections of the population that all gay men are limped wristed, mincing queens who go over the top with their reactions to everything.

On the other hand having any sort of gay character in a prime time programme that just happens to be the number one TV show can only open some sort of discussion amongst people. Of course, what would be better would be if they introduced a 'butch' gay character oppoiste Sean who is capable of handling more weighty storylines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does, and I'm in two minds about him. On one hand he could be seen as a throwback to Mr. Humphries & probably reinforces the impression amongst certain sections of the population that all gay men are limped wristed, mincing queens who go over the top with their reactions to everything.

On the other hand having any sort of gay character in a prime time programme that just happens to be the number one TV show can only open some sort of discussion amongst people. Of course, what would be better would be if they introduced a 'butch' gay character oppoiste Sean who is capable of handling more weighty storylines.

I just think the nick name lettuce implies when its used either for the character or the actor that by being camp he is therefore not a real man. Maybe thats not what is meant but its how i read it.

I totally agree though that corrie should introduced another gay character who is 'butch' (gorgeous would be nice too!) :D to give some sort of balance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jill1812 wrote:
    I just think the nick name lettuce implies when its used either for the character or the actor that by being camp he is therefore not a real man. Maybe thats not what is meant but its how i read it.

I just read lettuce for being 'limp' or camp. Nothing more.

As Robert Preston says in "Victor/Victoria":- "there are all sorts of men & they act in all sorts of ways", so what exactly is a "real man"?

I don't think Flukie ever meant to introduce the term "real man" into the discussion ~ all she meant to suggest is that Sean is 'limp' (which he is). Of course if I'm wrong I'm sure she'll correct me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read lettuce for being 'limp' or camp. Nothing more.

As Robert Preston says in "Victor/Victoria":- "there are all sorts of men & they act in all sorts of ways", so what exactly is a "real man"?

I don't think Flukie ever meant to introduce the term "real man" into the discussion ~ all she meant to suggest is that Sean is 'limp' (which he is). Of course if I'm wrong I'm sure she'll correct me.

'Limp' sounds like Sean has some sort of disability.

I don't like they way corrie seem to always play Sean for laughs. But of the younger characters on Corrie he's the most realistic.
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member

This is exactly how I see Sean. You have captured the contradictions here well. In some ways he is positive, but perhaps he is back to Mr. Humphreys if he is the only gay in Corrie.

I have to say that I have always found Flukie's reference to Sean as "lettuce" to be funny, and to be spot on. Corrie play him for laughs but then so does Anthony Cotton. Cotton however has to be good: campery is a great gay tradition and it is in his hands to keep it going on Corrie. Is he up to it?

Kev
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,986
    Forum Member
    Yep, I'm back, having returned from a trip that was, in turns, surreal, rewarding, revealing, 'interesting', a bit *phew* in places...but most of all, wonderful. :)

Here is an overview of my trip and.........

.... Bruno's part in the film......

Okay, straight to the point...When does Bruno make his appearance? He doesn't appear on screen until right near the end. And how long is he in it for? Well, I personally wouldn't class his appearance as a cameo as he is, sadly, in it for such an incredibly short amount of space - during which time you only get a few glimpses of his face! :(

I'll put the rest of this bit in spoiler tags so those who don't want to be plot spoilered, won't be.......
    As the build-up to the film's finale, Harry, after some encouragement from Rebecca (runs the local pub), decides to do whatever he can to stop the arranged marriage between his true-love Aisha and the devout yet highly dislikeable and misguided Naseem. He races towards where it is being held, and, in the process, ends up taking a taxi to try and get him there a bit quicker.

I can't remember the precise details, but, once in the taxi, Sid (a heavily-accented Bruno) makes some brief remark about wishing Pakistanis would just go back to where they come from (I 'think' he may have said 'Paki-land'). He comes across as a racist character.

Then we get a short sequence, interspersed with shots of the wedding's imminent approach, of Harry in the taxi, with Sid giving ultra-short soundbites on proceedings - Sid's face glimpsed through the rear-view mirror.

Then, as Harry reaches his destination, he gets out of the taxi, then...."Oi, you ain't paid me".....THE END....for Sid/Bruno's part in the film, anyway!

He really is in it for such a short time, and there are no full-length shots of him...just quick bits and pieces!

And no, no Bruno at the premiere - though I've still got a few tiny Bruno snippets I can share on a public forum!

Before the screening....after returning from my meal before I went to get ready for the screening, I went into the reception area of my hotel....and who should I find there? Why, it was Russell Razzaque, Sanjay Maraj (HH's producer) and the film's publicist, Carol Walters!

So, there were the 'usual' sorts of introductions, and there were a few congrats on my site, then, as Russell and Sanjay leave us, I'm sat with Carol and she tells me the intrigung bit of info that she thought Bruno was currently filming in Portugal. More on the Portugal myth later!

She tells me I can do some bits of helping out for them on the night, so off I went to get ready for my very much earlier than anticipated arrival for the screening.

Getting ready done (barring sandals that refused to do up until I was at the venue!), me, Russell and Carol headed off to the screening.

Moving forward in time a bit, I was helping direct people towards the 'Halal Harry holding area', along with being asked by Carol to wait for the cast to arrive and then to let her know as soon I spot them.....cue red carpet entrance and lots of snap-happy photographers!

On the way into see the film, I did introduce myself to a few of the cast and got some pics...and mention of my site in too!

In the cinema, I ended up seating myself (it was pretty full!) right amongst the main cast! Andy McNair and Yasmin Ijaz, for instance, were sat behind me, and I sat next to Andy Ajiz, who played Khan in the film.

Russell stood at a podium and introduced the film (his 'baby'), then it began...

It was very interesting being sat amongst the cast, who were watching themselves in HH, up on the big screen, for the first time. Some of them seemed to be laughing at some bits purely from a sort of 'shared memories/experience', which was lovely. I did also hear some of what was being said around me but I won't relate that here as I don't think it would be fair.

What did I make of the film?....Well, I enjoyed it, though, tbh, I'm actually finding it difficult to get one overriding opinion of it in my mind. Maybe it is my not particularly objective standpoint on the film which is colouring things a little, but I've got conflicting thoughts running through my head on it; it's all a bit strange!

There was great acting from all involved, the religious/moral issues raised were looked at sensitively yet head-on, there were some nice 'moments' throughout the film, the soundtrack was lovely, Andy McNair's 'dance routine' (including the faces he pulled!) was sooo funny (and the cast around me loved it too!)....etc....but I felt, and maybe subsequent viewings will change my thinking, that it was just lacking a certain 'something'. Hmmmm.....

Maybe it was to do with its linear structure, where there was a kind of sequence of inevitability and predictability to many of the aspects to the film, so you sort of could guess how things would pan out.

It was like the film was full of soundbite-type scenes that were just very neatly trying to sum up for you what was wanted for that particular part of the film. This created, for me, an empty feeling in places, where I just wanted some more depth to flesh things out. It just all felt very precise and to the point, in a way that didn't allow for more substance to be present.

But, to oppose that, as I've said, there was much to like here, and there were some lovely touches - like Harry confidently strolling down the road in a burka and winking at passers-by, Rentu (Barber Ali) and his 'chocolate fingers', etc., so my feelings are a bit of a mixed bag.

It was a good film, well-made and impressively acted, but where less can indeed be more, here it would have benefited with less 'less' and a bit more 'more'.

The post-screening party....Celebs were mingled with, lots of snaps and autographs were given, the welcoming nature and kindness of the lovely cast members that I met was wonderful, my site got a good look-in...and.....the Portugal mystery deepens - or perhaps not!

Russell told me, and I presume I'm okay to say this because of what it amounts to, that no Portugal was mentioned to him in terms of Bruno working. So I don't know where this Portugal thing comes from....maybe he really is in Portugal - or not! He said that Bruno was available a few weeks back, as well as being in this country, but that now he wasn't available. He said he didn't know what he was working on/doing, though.

Anyway, photographers were still snapping away in this party and occasionally a cast member would be ushered to a small table where they'd conduct an interview for a member of the press (this was one particular lady, though there were probably other interviews).

It was a great experience and not one to forget in a hurry.

More skipping forward in time.....A lot of the cast/crew, after the post-screening party, congregated in the hotel that both myself and most of those related to the film were staying at....and I was at this 'congregation' too!

So....there was more celeb mingling....chats with celebs.....generally hanging out with celebs :D....Obviously can't really go into what everyone was saying/doing, as that wouldn't be right on a public forum. On a few little things I heard about Bruno, I think all I can really say on here is that Ryan Davenport said Bruno was having trouble with his London accent for the film and so was getting help from Barber Ali on it. Also, when Bruno was pictured in London with the HH cast/crew, he wasn't filming anything as he was just there to have his picture taken. Ryan has bumped into Bruno at various awards and he said that he is due to appear at the Inside Soap Awards on Monday, and he had no idea if Bruno would go to it. I imagine that he doesn't go to those things anymore!

So *cough* amount of time later :yawn: and it was Ryan, his girlfriend (I think, so apologies if I've got this wrong), Russell, Carol, Kulvinder, HH's casting director, and myself who were sat in a group as the last men/women 'standing'! Then Ryan and his girlfriend (?) left....then Kulvinder.....then me......

And next morning, not long at all before I had to head off for the first of my trains home, I went down to reception for a hurried breakfast....and ended up eating mine with Andy Ajiz (Khan), Charles Verrall (Father John in the film and also the HH dialogue coach), and Kathyrn O'Reilly (Nurse Coombs)! I was too early to catch Russell and Carol sadly but Andy, Charles and Kathryn ain't half bad, is it?!

So, breakfast scoffed down, train caught with 30 seconds to spare and it was goodbye Bradford, goodbye Bite the Mango, goodbye HH cast and crew, but hello lovely memories and some lovely piccies to hopefully (getting them developed tomorrow!) go with them too. Lovely. :)

xx Joanna xx
  • Options
    LovelyLauraLovelyLaura Posts: 50,041
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the wonderful report Joanna- it was a great read! I'm glad that you had a nice time and it certainly sounds like it was a memory to cherish :)

It's a shame about Bruno's part being so miniscule ;) but I think we expected it. It'll be great seeing Bruno in the film anyway! I was surprised to read that Bruno wasn't filming anything when that cast pic was taken because I would have thought that he would have had to have spent an extra day filming on set to transform into a cabby as he was a milkman back in January 2005!! :confused:

It's especially interesting to hear about Bruno being in Portugal....or not, as the case may be!! Whether he's in Portugal or not, it definitely sounds like he's filming something :D I suspect a movie may be on the horizon cos I'm sure they are usually pretty quick at updating CV's with TV and theatre roles on PFD...I'm sure Halal Harry wasn't mentioned on Bruno's CV until after he'd filmed it? :confused: I'm probably talking rubbish though! Whatever, it certainly sounds like he's got something up his sleeve! :D

Thanks so much for sharing your report with us Joanna, I'm so pleased that you had a good time :D

Laura xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is wonderful Joanna. Thanks to you for making the effort here. As expected not much of a role, but he has made some connections. Bruno filming in Portugal?? Well, speculation begins here.

Kev
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just think we can all go to the premiere of Bruno's next film. Wow.

Kev
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tonight's Update is now available:-

Monday 07:30 Episode
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote:
    It's obvious Sean also thinks it's him Jamie's in love with and it did make me laugh at the end with him trying to be 'tragic' in his manner, (when Vi said it was probably him Jamie wanted). Y'know .... 'Oh, God, I have to carry this emotional burden - my best mate's in love with me - part of me SO wants it to be true but the other half ....I have to let him down gently, Vi's my mate too ... Oh, God, it's so tragic!" lol! :D That was all over his face when Vi said what she did.

Wow! Antony conveyed all that with one expression! :) Are you saying you think Antony can act after all then, Flukie?! :confused::D;)

Angie
    x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joanna - thanks for your report. I've only skim-read so far but will read "in depth" later. :)

I'll also PM you re my non-appearance! ;)

Angie
    x
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for updates... Sorry, I just had too. Doesn't Sophie look like David in a wig in this photo? :eek:

http://www.itv.com/uploads/images/1159126073793_0.4334902454403757.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member

You're absolutely right, of course - I didn't. I was going by his manner, which, as you say, is definitely 'limp', not whether he's got all the physical attributes that make him a man, which he obviously does.

So I never said he wasn't a 'real man' anymore than I said he 'disgusts' me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    corriander wrote:
    This is wonderful Joanna. Thanks to you for making the effort here. As expected not much of a role, but he has made some connections. Bruno filming in Portugal?? Well, speculation begins here.

Kev

Maybe he's just there on holiday? His agency page usually is very good at updating his activities, isn't it? It usually says 'currently filming' if he is, and hasn't it said 'will' be appearing in ..... whatever, in the near future? :confused: So both options have been covered, haven't they?

Having said that, with Joanna's 'revelation' something might now appear on his page, explaining all about what he's doing next! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Angie 06 wrote:
    Wow! Antony conveyed all that with one expression! :) Are you saying you think Antony can act after all then, Flukie?! :confused::D;)

Angie
    x

Lol! :D No, just overdoing it, as usual. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The soap review on Corrie on teletext raises a strong feeling of Deja-vu over the subject of Demon! lol! :D

'Demon David is a troubled child. We all doubted his tales of being bullied at school. But Gail believed her son.

He confesses on Monday October 2 that he made it all up. And Gail decides it's time to get tough.

She vows that she's not going to let her son run rings round her anymore. When he refuses to go to school again, she confiscates his TV and Playstation as punishment.
    '

The deja-vu is, of course, the fact that when the truth about the cards came out it was said she was gonna be a tougher character after that and tougher with Demon, when of course, all she did was practically reward him for it by pandering him to him and buying him presents!

It's rather comical in a way when you consider she's the one that suffers yet again when she's thrown in jail cos he won't go to school. Can't wait to see how she gets 'tough' with her pampered baby after that! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote:
    Maybe he's just there on holiday? His agency page usually is very good at updating his activities, isn't it? It usually says 'currently filming' if he is, and hasn't it said 'will' be appearing in ..... whatever, in the near future? :confused: So both options have been covered, haven't they?

Having said that, with Joanna's 'revelation' something might now appear on his page, explaining all about what he's doing next! :)
    I have no idea what as said. I do not think we need to go by the agents, who have been good about this sort of thing, but could be slow. :confused:

We shall see. The starved of news may yet get some. Ha! Ha! :)

Kev
  • Options
    LovelyLauraLovelyLaura Posts: 50,041
    Forum Member
    I think I've just found a never before seen Bruno piccy from the gay pride festival in Manchester in 2004? It's from splashnews.com and is just of him walking along the road....don't think we've seen it before?!

Click here

Sorry if we have though :o

Laura xx
This discussion has been closed.