Options

Video and Audio dropout

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
Apologies if this has come up before, but I have been experience some problems with jerky playback.. Dropping audio and appearing to skip for a second throughout a program. This has happened a couple of times but other stored recordings have been o.k.

Has anyone had similar experiences, and if so is there a solution?
I was wondering if it could be due to bad sectors on the hard disk.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are other threads on this (maybe try the search facility).

It may be a number of things, from heat related problems to Hard Drive problems to IDE cable problems, etc.

A few questions that will help establish the cause;
    1. If you watch a section of material that jumps over and over again, do the dropouts and jumps happen at exactly the same time in exacyly the same manner?
    - Yes, then there is a chance there were signal problems during the recording.
    - No, errors in different places point towards hard drive, IDE cable or heat issue.

2. Is your box warm or hot to touch? from top and bottom of the box? How much ventillation is there around the box? Does the fan come on often?

3. If you don't have any recordings left to view, try a full system reset (services, 4, 0, 1, select, option 7.). You will lose all recordings and all planned recordings from the planner. I would recommend recording what you have planned to record. I use a digital camera to do this.

4.What are the signal strength / quality readings? Is LNB1 readings the same or different to LNB2. If different, try swapping the LNB cables over and re-check signals then redo some recordings.

5.Does it happen on one channel, a few channels or all channels?

6. Is your viewing card inserted correctly? Worth taking it out and cleaning the contacts. If connection is lost during recording of an encrypted channel, drop-outs occur).

7. What version of box do you have? What are the system details (services, 4, 5)?

8 Is this an original HD or have you upgraded the box?

Phil
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow, thanks Phil this is great. I have an original HD, and the dropouts occur in exactly the same place. I rewound it a few times to check. This really has only happened on a couple of recordings, so I assume that if all the others are ok. then it won't be a heat problem - or is that just female logic!

I will check the signal strength when I get home and the system details and let you know.

I really appreciate you help,

Cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlikely to be heat, unless the box was hot during the recording of the affected programmes.

If it has only affected a couple of recordings, it may have been bad weather during the recording affecting the signal strength at this time.

My final question is to check what channels the affected recordings were from.

Phil
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They were both from Channel 4. And on different nights! I was concerned about the heat because the Skybox is stacked with an amp and DVD player etc. although there is a reasonable gap between them all. When I phoned Sky after having early problems, they told me that the Sky+ box had to be on its own and not stacked with anything else.
    My old Sky box was stacked for 7 years without any problems.