Options

The A2 S/Ware Thread

james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Good afternoon to you all.

Firstly i apologise for what seems like yet another thread about this new s/ware. However, i have been reading through all other threads, and the Sat forum, and it appears that some are still unsure about the new download that introduced the A2.

I'm sure others will correct me if i'm wrong, however can we agree that the A2 addition has indeed made the heating of the Sky+ box a non issue. I have a new V2 upstairs in the bedroom and the original V1 in the lounge,and both have A2, and apart from the fan coming on slightly more often, i have to say that i'm very pleased indeed. Both of my boxes use to get hot to touch, however since the update they are always now very cool.

Can others confirm, that if their boxes now have the A2 s/ware they are all cool to touch whatever time of the day, or temp of the room, and overall they seem to be performing much better.

Regards James

Comments

• Options
    Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James,

I can confirm my Sky+ box Model has been changed to 2.057A2 it feels cool to touch. No other functions have changed. The fan seems to run faster and more often since this Model # update.

Dan
  • Options
    HowieCHowieC Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Plus the soft focus problem is fixed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I havent got it, have tried to do a force d/l but still didnt get it, i want it, i dont want to be different
  • Options
    noikznoikz Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasonpc wrote:
    I havent got it, have tried to do a force d/l but still didnt get it, i want it, i dont want to be different

Don't worry you're not on your own. No A2 here either, you don't expect SKY to roll it out smoothly do you? ;)
  • Options
    james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that you havn't got it. Apart from the fan running more and slightly faster, there is no real recognisable difference.

Unless you are constantly having problems due to a overheating issue, i'd just be patient. Maybe all models of Sky+ will receive A2 when they roll out the new EPG s/ware for Sky+

Just a thought, but can we try and keep this thread on the subject of whether those that have got the A2 update are noticing an improvement with their boxes. There are plenty of other threads that discuss the matter of....I have/have not, and forced download etc.

Regards James
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting if people with the A2 upgrade put their Serial numbers (or at least the 1st 8 digits) in their response.

My V2 is 00702977** and doesn't have the A2. I don't have any issues with picture quality just loads of other problems.

Phil
  • Options
    gagdegagde Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i spoke to sky on the phone last night as i was concerned about overheating the chap said all sky+ would get the upgrade in the next download but he didnt know when (and this guy was supposed to be in tech)doh
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've got an unmodded V2, i have to the a2 upgrade, the onyl difference i've noticed is that the fan comes on now whereas before it had never come on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The picture quality has improved a lot! The soft focus problem has definately been fixed aswell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I've got A2 and noticed yesterday, when I was fiddling about behind my TV connecting up optical out, that the fan was on (could hear it). I'm sure I've been meddling about when the box has been on in the past and I've not heard anything. I suppose this confirms what other people have said. I've not noticed the box overheating before, but will check tonight whether it is cool.
  • Options
    planetf1planetf1 Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried to email technicalservicesfeedbacklivingston@bskyb.com with this question - the email bounced. Do they have a new email address? I find the general CS email is fine (but slow) for simple queries but anything technical it's a waste of time.

I am still at sw 1.057 - no A2.

Manufacturer: Pace
    Model Number: 2.057
    Version: 9F2103
    Serial Number: 007041****
    Viewing Card Number: 179 09* ***
    Operating System Version: 1.3.0BF
    EPG Software Version: sky+ 1.26.v2

This is a replacement for a fried box, so I'm actually quite interested in the cooler running (apparent) A2 software and whether I can get sky to push it down to me...

Anyone know a better email address?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i rung sky about twenty minutes ago about the new software and she run me through take out card unplug from mains hold backup plug back in ive just tried it box stuck in updating screen for about 15 minutes still there i will give it another 10 minutes if nothing will try again about 3 o clock ill let u know how i got on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too have just had my sky+ replaced and I am now on Model 2.057 Version 9F2102.

I think you are wasting your time with a software load here as this is appears to be lower level of software as the Model # is the only change, may be a bit like BIOS on a PC.

Dan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok called them - they said to expect another sw update in the next 7-14 days ??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Got 8.1.0 on my V1 box - fan is running most times when I can be bothered to switch everything else off to listen for it; box itself seems nice and cool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Called sky+ support again. This time was told it was "impossible" for the model number to be changed by an update.

Right...

so 5-6 crashes/hangs on a new box in approx 48 hours. This is *not* good at all
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've just got Sky+ because my old Pace 2200 was crashing and rebooting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Called sky+ support again. This time was told it was "impossible" for the model number to be changed by an update

The person you spoke to is wrong, I and many more sky+ owners have to the model number change from 2.057 to 2.057A2.

Dan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I have the PQ problem and have been told by Sky CS that hey will call me when the A2 update is about to be released. They definately said that the update is an A2 update. So mixed signals from Sky as usual i think someone from Sky needs to join the forum and set us straight.

Wolfy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone any updates on when A2 will be genrally released, latest i got was it will be soon but no date on it. I have also been told it will definately be released to fix PQ problem.

Wolfy!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im still waiting i cant see it being released now till after the easter period with the bank holidays unless anyone knows anything different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Hi,

When the A2 software was first mooted on this forum I checked my V1 details and found that I had an A2 suffix after the model number.

I have been suffering a number of lockups lately and checked again. Now I have an 8.1.0 model and no mention of A2 anywhere!

So where has A2 gone? Did one of the reboots after the lockups cause different (earlier?) software to be downloaded?

Regards Richard
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone any more news on the widespread release of the A2 update?

Wolfy!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think sky have forgot us its been a long 7 to 14 days.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think Sky download the software in batches