Options

Sky + noise, when not being used?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
Forum Member
Hi,
I was thinking of getting Sky + to use with the Pioneer DVR 5100, but I don't intend to pay for the extra features.

I just want the S-VHS output. I was wondering does the Sky + box make any noise when not being used?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sky+ box has a cooling fan and a hard disk within. You may here the fan from time to time. it makes a noise but not that loud.

Dan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    I've heard about the hard drive and fan. However, the fan only switches on when the Sky + box becomes too hot.

Most of the heat is generated by the use of the hard drive, so if the hard drive is not used the Sky + box should remain quiet. Am I correct?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    However, the Sky+ box seems to keep the hard drive spinning all the time, so the fan can come on any time if it gets hot.

I notice a slight hum from the hard drive when the TV, radio, etc. is off in the living room and no-one is talking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How difficult would it be to disconnect the power to the hard drive so there would be no noise?
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,695
    Forum Member
    You got a pair of pliers?

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pliers? So it's not as easy as disconnecting the power supply on a PC hard drive?
  • Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    Yes it is as simple.

However, the box might not work without a drive connected. I don't know.
  • Options
    Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you wait until you see how noisey the box is before you decide you are going to invalidate the warrenty by disconnecting the disk drive.

Trust me, sky+ boxes are not noisey. Unless you have super senstive ears.

Dan
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mine isn't noisey i have a V2 box and its hum is quiet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got sharp hearing, and combined with the hum of the Pioneer DVR 5100 it might get distracting. The Sky + box and Pioneer DVR 5100 are going in my bedroom.

At night I can switch the Pioneer off and still enjoy watching TV, but if I switch off the Sky + box I'll lose the satellite channels. Does anyone know if disconnecting the power to the hard drive will cause problems?

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Version 2 is quiet enough but anyone fed up with the noise from the
    Version 1 Hard Drive might like to know you can get the version 2 drive directly from Pace. (01274 537132)
    V1 is ball-bearing driven and gets noiser over time.
    Version 2 doesn't suffer the same problem so if your buying a new
    V2 box, noise shouldn't be an issue.

I've got a drive on order and don't expect any compatibilty problems
    @ £150 each but will keep you posted. At least it will be cheaper than a new box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    £150!

Geez, you can buy a Maxtor fluid bearing 40Gb drive for about fifty quid that is 100% compatible with Sky+. May even be the same drive.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know storage is cheap at the moment so tell me which drive is 100% compatible
    and I'll turn the other one around. As long as it is 100%.
    I see elsewhere people using Maxtors but not succesfully.
    I'll take your advice on this so long as your sure I'll get the right result.

Regards

Jules
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All I can tell you is my own experience.

The original drive, the drive fitted to all Pace boxes, are 5400 rpm Maxtor drives. Before the dual record problems I initially fitted a 7200rpm 80Gb DiamondMax Plus 8 Maxtor drive and that behaved flawlessly.

As it happened I'd recorded something on it that I simply couldn't afford to lose for any reason, so I took the 80Gb drive back out and fitted a 7200rpm 40Gb Maxtor drive. It too has behaved flawlessly ever since I fitted it.

The 80Gb drive still behaved perfectly recently when I temporarily re-fitted it to transfer the programmes on it to DVD. I debated leaving it in as I'd now got the programmes I wanted to keep securely on DVD, but in the end I put the 40Gb drive back, what with all the 17min bug problems with oversized drives.

It would appear that any fluid bearing Maxtor will work in a Sky+ box, and they certainly don't cost £150 to buy.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Juice_of_2_limeJuice_of_2_lime Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Indeed I am running an 80gig Maxtor fluid bearing drive and its works great. Quite too. I paid £50. Mine runs in one of the new Amstrad boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The new drive arrived today from Pace. Would you believe it's a b/bearing Fireball 3? (£39 from Dabs). Not even gold plated.
    Anyway I rang Pace and told them how disgruntled I was at their (special) drive and
    they've given me a returns number, so my biggest loss there is for the postage each way.

It does pose one question for me. How does the Fireball's 27 decibels compare with
    a 40g fluid drive from Maxtor? There's only £1.00 difference in the price from Dabs.
    Will the fireball eventually sound like the old drive because it's running all the time?
    Sorry! Thats's 2 questions isn't it?
    Oops! that's 3.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    A couple of points to add to what's already been said:

The fan in my V1 box comes on quite a bit even in standby - and I have removed the disk from the box and replaced it with an externally-mounted 120GB drive, so I don't believe the fan is influenced by the presence of the disk. In fact, I am convinced the heat from the HDD doesn't spread throughout the box at all - it just sits in that corner toasting the disk. The fan seems to be influenced mostly by the power supply inside the box.

A Sky+ box will work perfectly well with no HDD - it will simply function as a normal Sky box. It will however give an error message if you press record, something like "System fault - contact Sky blah blah blah".