Options

tech input on ITVdigital box pls!

tintin Posts: 1,759
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

I would appreciate some input on this odd behaviour

I have an Ondigital nokia box, and an ITVdigital nokia box (which I assume are the same thing pretty much), both of which I have been given.

The Ondigital one works fine.

The ITVdigital one doesn't. When doing an add or store channels, the ondigital searching page comes up, sits for about 30 secs without the progress meter moving at all, then it just seems to bottle it and say "no channels found". It doesn't appear to actually do the search because the Ondigi box takes about 5 mins and the progress bar moves (although erratically).

Also all the channels in the previously stored list (which includes all the ondigital ones, but also stuff like the hits) show a red square. However I am not sure what area the box comes from so that could be just because the frequencies are wrong in the stored list.

So after all that, easy one eh? The tuner's bust, no?

So how does it pick up the time? - the clock is exactly right and the box boots up with the standard --:--.... I was under the impression they pick up the time from the digital signal? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm... The progress bar appears to more irratically because it jumps every time it finds an entire multiplex.

This is a tricky one - I would have said the tuner was bust too, but with it picking up the time - that is strange - since it gets it from the digital signal, and the red square means 'no signal'.

Have you tried switching off and leaving it for a few hours?

Also, is the ventillation OK?

My Nokia occasionally lost SDN, producing the red dot if the box got hot (or if someone put something on top of it :rolleyes:)

As far as I know, the Hits hasn't moved frequencies since it was first put on air, but you could be right about the old OnDigital Frequencies being wrong, perhaps they are on from the time when it used 64QAM, and it is looking for a 64QAM signal.

Of course rescanning is the answer - thing is it doesn't happen.

Are you sure the antenna/cable is not at fault? Have you tried the working box in the non working boxes' place to see if that works?

If you are willing to try anything to get the box working - and it sounds useless in it's current state anyway (please note I cannot be held responsible if the box is made worse as a result of this!) you could try the following:

Take the aerial cable out of the back. Only do this after you know for a fact that the box has loads of ventillation, and you have given it an hour or two to cool down prior to this.

Then do a 'store channels'. It shouldn't find anything.

Put the aerial cable back in and do a 'store channels'.

Hopefully the problem is solved and channels are found.

If not, press 'reset' on the front of the box when it displays the time is standby.

but be aware that it *may* (I don't know) delete all newer software updates, such as for digital text, so it is strictly a last resort option!

Gdb :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like your style, I will give anything a go! Broken box-ville here I come!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the suggestions GDB - heres the report!!

Switch off an leave - no difference,
    Ventilation - fine
    Frequencies - the place where the box came from could easily have had the mux's on different freuqencies is what I am thinking.
    Antenna - seems to be OK if not fantastic - Ondigital box works acceptibly in the same place
    Store channels without aerial - exactly the same result - no channels found message within 30s, and because it didn't find any channels it doesn't wipe the channel list!!!
    I pressed reset and it still behaved the same!

I am going to try the box at a different location in case the antenna is too marginal for that particular box. Still confused about the time thing though!! :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate saying too much on here in case anyone ever does break their box... hence the disclaimer, I would c**p myslef if it did happen!

I never thought about the box being used in a different place would mean different freqencies, but the clock thing certainly is strange. Must mean it is getting a digital signal from somewhere...

The fact that the clock works to me is pushing me towards to blaming the software rather than a dead tuner.

There is a possibility it is too marginal for the box, I would expect the hardware to be pretty much the same. If anything the ITV box should be better than the OnDigital one in theory, with specifications improving over time.

If after trying on a different antenna it still doesn't work, then you could try a factory reset, please note that this may put an ancient version of software on the box, whih could mean no MHEG digital text afterwards, however if the old software fixes the box, then you have a basic but working box, which was better than it was before! (Digital text was never very good on the Nokia anyway.)

Factory reset:

ALL OPERATIONS ARE ON NOKIA FRONT PANEL

(1) Turn Box On (Using Red POWER Button)
    (2) Turn Box Off (Using RED POWER Button)
    (3) JUST AS GREEN CHANNEL LEDS DIM TO - - -
    PRESS LEFT & RIGHT NAVIGATION BUTTONS TOGETHER
    (They are on the outside of SELECT Button)
    (4) YOU SHOULD SEE "RE" ON CHANNEL LEDS
    (5) Now PRESS THE RESET BUTTON TO FINALISE FACTORY
    RESET
    (6) STB is now in the off state
    (7) POWER STB ON BY PRESSING RED POWER BUTTON
    (8) YELLOW MENU SHOULD NOW COME UP
    (9) SELECT GETTING STARTED TO ADD CHANNELS

(Sorry about the caps, it was copied and pasted from another thread)

At the very least this should clear the (maybe corrupt) channel list, allowing you to tune in your own. I'm not even sure if it clears the updates to the software that the box has received, it is just what I had heard.

Hopefully this will help

• Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    If not, press 'reset' on the front of the box when it displays the time is standby.

but be aware that it *may* (I don't know) delete all newer software updates, such as for digital text, so it is strictly a last resort option!

For the record, that type of reset doesn't affect your channel list, software updates etc. etc., so it is a risk free operation.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tin wrote:
    I am going to try the box at a different location in case the antenna is too marginal for that particular box. Still confused about the time thing though!! :confused:
    Agree with the GDB2freeview.

I would try that before a factory reset, which is definitely a last resort option, if all else fails.

• Options
    Forum Member
    tin wrote:
    Also all the channels in the previously stored list (which includes all the ondigital ones, but also stuff like the hits) show a red square. However I am not sure what area the box comes from so that could be just because the frequencies are wrong in the stored list.
    A red square means no signal at all e.g. as if the aerial were disconnected.

A red circle means a weak signal.

So, it does sound like the channel list is incorrect.