Options

Freeview PVR (Fusion FVRT100) (merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    I can't be bothered with the mucking about with packing etc. if I have to send it back, and getting it delivered to somewhere I can collect from easily can be a right pain!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That makes sense I guess, although you wouldn't have to worry about the packing.

As far as I know they are sending it out just in it's outer box as it's strong enough, I assume you'd just need to put it back in it's main box and they'd collect it from you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the concern, but I have enough patience to wait for it retail. I might even stick it out for the Panasonic yet! I do know I wouldn't get the Thomson, that really looks like they've just put a test rig out on the market.
    Jay23Sx wrote:
    That makes sense I guess, although you wouldn't have to worry about the packing.

As far as I know they are sending it out just in it's outer box as it's strong enough, I assume you'd just need to put it back in it's main box and they'd collect it from you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    OK, I am fairly happy with things as they are now but am a sad geeky person and would love to know what the serial port is for.
    I also would be delighted if someone else would give a bigger hard disk a try! I really do not want to be the first to totally screw up their new box!
    Go on, you know it makes sense .... maybe a good project for after the pub on a Friday night?? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of noise, I agree with the others - it is barely noticeable. The Thomson thread had a lot of information about the noise of that machine, which is why I think the question was asked here originally. Otherwise, I don't think anyone would have noticed it or pointed it out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Can anybody who has had a watchable recording in EP tell me what their tunner strength is please.

I converted a recording to EP mode and it was totally unwatchable, although this was before the upgrade. My tunner strength is about 68%
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    julieng wrote:
    Can anybody who has had a watchable recording in EP tell me what their tunner strength is please.

I converted a recording to EP mode and it was totally unwatchable, although this was before the upgrade. My tunner strength is about 68%

There is most likely nothing wrong with your signal strength, the LP and EP compression system isn't very good. I have personally never seen such a badly compressed digital tv picture than this box gives in EP mode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Can someone comment on the tuner sensitivity in the fusion please? how does it compare to other boxes.

Does the fusion picture and sound "stutter" like the thomson dhd4000 when the signal degrades or does it "pixellate" (My preference)

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kingstew,

My Fusion is gentler than my Daewoo Setpal when the picture degrades. It pixellates first, then half may freeze. It is not accompanied by the loud noises the Setpal tends to maker. I prefer the Fusion - and my subjective impression is that it does not do this quite as often as the Daewoo did.

I intend to plug the Daewoo in as a "subtitle recorder" using my DVDR, and I will try to make an objective study of this aspect.

I just cannot watch US sourced material without subtitles, but I can manage most English programmes if people speak with clarity. As one becomes more deaf, it is interesting to note which regional accents are easiest on the ear. "Received pronunciation" is best for me - probably because that is how we speak at home.

Londoners and southerners, with their sloppy vowells, horrid glottal stops where there should be a "t", and the ankle-deep layer of dropped "h's" they must walk around in - they are harder for me than even Kirsty Wark, and that is saying something!!! ;) Northerners, on the whole, speak admirably. I read somewhere that "pure" English - the oldest pronunciation - is that of the Yorkshireman.

But they watch too much of Eastenders up here these days, and are becoming influenced.... :(

Roll on the subtitle upgrade!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it must be very good, and it was one of the things I was worried about. I had a Daewoo Setpal which was excellent, but prior to that had a Pace On-Digital box which was a nightmare. I have very bad analogue signal but getting perfect digital with the Fusion, as I had with the Daewoo. I don't know the difference between "stutter" and "pixellate" - if you can describe them, maybe I will be able to answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bestbear wrote:
    I have had absolutely no problems at all so far. Everything has been faultlessly recorded - only with the first minute missing because the clock is a minute or so fast. Anyone else's clock doing this?

Yes, the clock on mine seems consistently starting programs a little too late also. Not a major problem normally, but if you record two programs from the same channel back to back, you wouldn't be padding the end or beginning at the time between the two, so you can end up with the beginning of the second program at the end of the first. Kind of a pain if you want to be able to clear out your recordings, you've watched the first program, but not the second.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Got my fusion box yesterday - in time for Glastonbury!

On the subject of the noise, it is a constant low hum, it's . it really isn't very loud at all to be honest. I was taken aback that the noise (is it from the fan?) keeps going even when it is in standby. (It only has two modes - standby and on, there is no 'off'?). I guess that for the quieter moments I have the ultimate sanction of turning it off at the mains, so it's no big deal. I certaily couldn't hear the unit when I was watching tv from a few feet away.

I do have a question though - the pictures of it show round plastic feet...mine doesnt have any, the case just rests straight on the shelf. Does anyone else have feet on theirs? I would have thought they would be sensible to help air flow.

The transormer/plug seems to get very hot also.

Anyway - thats all minor grumbling...this is a great little unit. I'd recommend it based on one nights playing.

cheers all

mikef
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I got mine yesterday as well. Yes, mine has little plastics feet that keep it just off the surface. Mine’s on top of my metal video, which seems to act as a good heat sink.

The EPG loaded on the first night.

The software version didn’t update. I’m not sure how often it is broadcast. I think I need the update as I did manage to lock the thing up twice yesterday, with my 5 year olds help.

Anyway, really pleased with it so far.

Cheers,
    jrc2
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Ang wrote:
    I think it must be very good, and it was one of the things I was worried about. I had a Daewoo Setpal which was excellent, but prior to that had a Pace On-Digital box which was a nightmare. I have very bad analogue signal but getting perfect digital with the Fusion, as I had with the Daewoo. I don't know the difference between "stutter" and "pixellate" - if you can describe them, maybe I will be able to answer.
    Pixellate would be a momentary break-up of picture (or part of picture)into rectangular blocks (small or larger -- also "macroblocking"). Stutter suggests a succession of breaks or freezes in picture, possibly with accompanying disturbance of sound.

You chose well the PVRT100 -- it contains 2 SetPal tuners!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    BRILLIANT BRILLIANT BRILLIANT!

After close to a month sitting on the fence I ordered the Fusion on Tuesday lunchtime by Wednesday 8am it was sitting under my TV ..... how's that for service!

The unit appears to do pretty much everything it says on the tin although admittedly I have not used it extensively. Owning a PS2 I was conscious of the noise debate but now that I have it I don't know what all the fuss was about ..... sure there is noise so if you want to recreate that library feeling I guess you steer clear of any electronics with discs and fans but to me its very quiet.

The only real bugbear I have so far is one highlighted by Ang a acouple of pages back on the remote. It would be so much better to have an exit button once you have been in the menu or guide.

Overall ........ BRILLIANT :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'cancel' button generally brings you back one screen at a time from where you came from (which is similar to the backup button on the Sky+ system). It would be nice to have a single button brining you back to live tv from anywhere. I think that Fusion are aware of this. They are very very good to deal with by e-mail - so responsive, the best support service I have ever dealt with!
  • Options
    whatpasswordwhatpassword Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Oh well I've now returned my Fusion.

As an ex Pace Twin owner I ordered the Fusion for four main reasons:

A) The ability to dual record with twin tuners.
    B) Increased hard disk recording capacity.
    C) Full EPG.
    D) Also when I originally ordered the Fusion, the online store in question stated that you could 'simply view a programme from the start whilst it was still recording the end'.
    Having followed the Thomson thread and exhaustedly searched the net I was led to believe otherwise. Anyway I mailed unnamed site and they mailed me back confirming the unit did as their web page stated. The site has since deleted the statement from their pages.

As we all know the last point is not currently available and may never be as there appear to be hardware limitations plus Fusion have other products in the pipeline. Same goes for recording subtitles. As for home automation there is another blunder in that the box has no UHF out. Excuse me for being blunt but I think I'd have been sticking my head in the sand if I'd said I was not concerned by the heat produced from the underside of this box. Had Fusion gone for a box a little larger with better ventilation
    rather than style then this would not have been such an issue for me. Also the sound does bother me. Should it really have to make a sound when in standby as well as on. What with the heat and humming it was doing my head in with worry.

This product could have been so good but has been let down. If you have never dabbled into the world of DVR/PVR then you may well love the Fusion but if you have then I'd suggest you stick with what you have for now and wait.

Finally another moan. Questions are already starting to be repeated. Please can new folk read from start of the thread before posting? Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally another moan. Questions are already starting to be repeated. Please can new folk read from start of the thread before posting? Thanks.

This thread is now quite long, so rather than expect everyone new to read from the beginning, I'd rather welcome new input even if a question has been asked before. If something has been covered, a simple polite reply to that effect should be all that is needed, and we have a possible new contributor to the discussion.
  • Options
    whatpasswordwhatpassword Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Ang wrote:
    This thread is now quite long,

Would possibly not be so long had some folk not repeated questions and read from start. This is purely a personal view but I was interested in both the Fusion and the Thomson yet rather than posting questions I first went back and read the entire Thomson thread before purchasing the Fusion and contributing to this thread. Doing this answered most of my questions anyway. Maybe I'm just too regimented for my own good but I think it makes the thread and forum more constructive. Again just my own personal view on things. Cant beleive I'm not alone on this. Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Ordered my box Friday. Picked it up from Citilink Tuesday. Fired it up yesterday and am really quite impressed.

Have failed to lock it up yet. EPG downloaded OK last night. Navigation through channels, EPG, in/out of interactive and BBCi is all good and much faster than the NTL box that is going back tomorrow.

The noise and heat things have been made out to be bigger deals than they are. I tried the 2 metres in a silent room that somebody suggested yesterday and really had to concentrate to hear the hum. The heat is no different to my NTL box or a Nokia a tried a couple of weeks ago.

And the bonus in all this, my Cambridge Audio m1+ happily learnt all the remote commands (another thing the NTL Pace box failed at).

Wahoooo !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    gpweston does the forward x2 x4 etc work ok with the remote and also do you still need to point the remote directly at the box for it to work
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    gpweston wrote:
    The noise and heat things have been made out to be bigger deals than they are. I tried the 2 metres in a silent room that somebody suggested yesterday and really had to concentrate to hear the hum.

Fantasic! :)

The more I read about the Fusion I more hooked I'm getting. :D But I would really like to hear one in person before buying - guess I've got to wait until some stores start stocking them. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    RS232 for direct software upload from PC
    Software supports any Maxtor drive up to 160Gb - but mounting height/cooling/EMC is an issue - be warned!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have contacted one-for-all to try to get the FVRT100 remote on my Kameleon 6. They needed a photo of the remote, which I have sent, and they said they should get back to me in a few days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    DTT Oracle wrote:
    RS232 for direct software upload from PC
    Software supports any Maxtor drive up to 160Gb - but mounting height/cooling/EMC is an issue - be warned!

Cool :D - but how do you know? (Do you work for Fusion? :) )

Why only Maxtor? What specific Maxtor features does it use?