Fusion software update 1.7.3

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,937
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Thought I'd start a new thread about this rather than add to the original thread. 1.7.3 has arrived!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Features:
    1. Software Upgrades to fix hangs etc
    2. Subtitle Record
    3. Watch whilst recording (chase play)
    4. Retrospective recording ie if you decide to record the current program it will include up to the 30 min buffer.
    5. 14 day EPG
  • JBlinkJBlink Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand some of the Thomson 1.7.7 features are still missing. Judging by the posts on that thread, there are still bugs in 1.7.7

Can we hope that the 0.0.4 difference is that they have left out the buggy bits, but responded to customer demands to get the bulk of the update out sooner rather than later? If so then well done Fusion!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Has anyone noticed whether the hard drive spins down? It sounds like this may have been causing a lot of the problems in the Thompson upgrade. I hope they've left it out of the Fusion upgrade.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    For the first time in a while I didn't check this morning if the upgrade had arrived, and why?? Because when I got up I noticed the unit was as noisy as ever, so I presume the hard drive does not spin down yet!

Have the changes to the rubbish backgrounds been made as promised? I find it so hard to read the guide text sometimes :(

Dweeb
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I turned the box on first thing this morning and saw the "(6)" next to messages in the setup page. I opened this and saw that I had received messages about the 1.7.3 update that I had also got. I can tell you I was pretty excited. Oh dear, I must be a geek.

In addition to the update, I finally had my aerial changed from a cheap argos wide band to a professionally fitted outdoor type. I no longer get mains interference (i.e., see the frequent blobs or hear sound repeated occasionally) when some electrical items are switched on/off.

Who knows, if this update proves to be robust (e.g., no more lost recordings) I may even convince my wife that the box is more useful that a VCR afterall! Hears hoping...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is good news! All is forgiven! Now I must go and play!

John :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    In the context of having upgraded my hard drive (Samsung SP1604N), I notice that the update appears to have mangled a small minority of my recordings that were okay previously. Now, they begin playback okay but then freeze at the same point and it appears that the rest of the material is not available. Attempting playback from scenes at a later point simply result in the recording playing back from the beginning.

I'm not too concerned as this is one of the risks that I accepted when I did the upgrade. I have deleted the affected recordings and will see how the box performs as it goes forward. It could be that something about them is invalid to the new software and the possibility of new recordings having the same problem has been eliminated.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing, hard disk upgrade or not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Mine didn't update last night, although it's still on 1.6.3 since well before Xmas, I think I'd better stick the original hard disk back in and see if that helps with getting the update.

Not that I can get too excited about it, am I really to believe that the most basic feature (being able to set repeated recordings, e.g. 8-9pm every Monday) is still not implemented, despite every VCR since they were invented having it?

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but really, how can the Fusion people be so shortsighted? :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    As far as I can see Fusion have left out the bits that are causing problems on the Thompson:

1) Hard drive spin down.
    2) Repeated recordings - this is very primitive on the Thompson and interfers with people trying to make other recordings.

I'd have liked to see the automatic padding on recordings, but I can live without it. Apart from the recording subtitles, no of the other stuff was advertised features of the machine. Fusion did not have to provide any of these extra features (especially as they are bringing out new boxes). I say well done Fusion!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know whether the Fusion update allows you to watch a recording from the point where you stopped watching it (resume)?
    I believe that on the Thomson you press OK to start from the beginning of the recording and you press "play" to resume. This would slightly make up for the continued existence of the dreaded scenes!
    Forum Member
    immcinto wrote:
    Does anyone know whether the Fusion update allows you to watch a recording from the point where you stopped watching it (resume)?
    I believe that on the Thomson you press OK to start from the beginning of the recording and you press "play" to resume. This would slightly make up for the continued existence of the dreaded scenes!

No, I tried it and it doesn't appear to work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Repeat recordings and playback resume would be useful for the future, although I tend to agree with bigbri's comments that Fusion does not have to add new features only fix those they advertise on the box. New (stable) features are a bonus.

From my point of view if the box no longer hangs (or at least not as often) and doesn't loose recordings then I'll be much happier with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    So am I correct in thinking the Fusion and Thomson use the same software?

matt
    Forum Member
    stickofjoy wrote:
    So am I correct in thinking the Fusion and Thomson use the same software?
    That would be an incorrect assumption. However, they do appear to be derived from the same base software toolkit.

There are notable similarities between the boxes but they are distinct products and what goes for one does not necessarily go for the other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Hi - I've been watching this forum with great interest since mid Dec when I purchased my FVRT100. I to noticed the upgrade this morning (what a shock!!). Just to let you all know I've tested the following issue that some have experienced (including myself) and it appears to be resolved!!

When two channels are set to record at exactly the same time and you are watching a 3rd channel - there is no pop up message indicating that there will be an issue. One of the recordings is lost.

Have tested three times this morning and the message pops up as expected - result!! :cool:

Unfortunately, I lost a recording that was made last night at 9pm (though recordings in the library made the night before where OK) - but not too bothered - though the wife might be!!! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomson

1. You now have a full 14 program guide
    2. Pressing the GUIDE button twice now displays a full screen program guide. Press GUIDE again to return to the one with the preview window.
    3. You can now record subtitles with recordings. Turn this feature on by pressing Menu, 5, 2, option 1. NOTE: recordings made with subtitles cannot be compressed
    4. The DVR now supports instant recording. When watching a program, if you press and hold the REC key for more than 2 seconds, the DVR will automatically start recording the program you are viewing. The DVR will also save any of the program that you watched before you pressed the REC key (if it is stored in the record buffer, up to a maximum of 30 mins).
    5. You can now program a "Recording guard time" which provides an automatic overlap at the beginning and end of a selected program. Press Menu, 5,3, item 7 and choose a guard time from 0, 1,3 or 5 minutes. NOTE: you can still extend program times manually in the record list.
    6. You now have the ability to make Daily & Weekly recordings. After selecting a program to record and pressing RED, before you press GREEN, move the cursor RIGHT one space to the new column, now press DOWN to choose D for Daily recording or W for Weekly.
    7. You can now use trick modes on a program that is currently being recorded. i.e. No matter how long the program is, you can rewind or skip back to the beginning and watch the recording while the DVR continues to record.
    8. Your DVR now saves the last point you watch a program to, so that if you have to stop viewing, to return to the point where you left off, simply highlight the recording in the usual way and press PLAY. The OK selection works as before.
    9. You can now Preview a recording in the Record History menu, Simply press the Purple to Start/Stop playback from the selected thumbnail.
    10. You can choose the number of thumbnails captured in a recording. Change their interval by pressing Menu, 5, 3, item 8 and choose an interval from 1, 3, 5, 10 mins or no capture.
    11. You can now make the on screen display Opaque to improve readability. Press Menu, 5,4, item 4 and set it to OFF.
    12. The disc drive is now shut down when not required in order to save power. (Note the fan will still run).
    13. You can now move past the last channel in the lists to wrap around to the first one. e.g. Press P+ from 704 takes you back to 1.
    14. After adding a recording to the list, pressing EXIT now returns you to your last place in the program guide.
    15. Thumbnails are now generated automatically without user intervention.
    16. The quick guide banner (viewed by pressing a cursor key) is now bigger to accomodate larger program descriptions.
    17. There is now an Archive order indicator to show you in which order the programs will be played out to your VCR.
    18. You can now enter the start and finish times in the manual recording addition menu using the number keys.
    19. Pressing REC in the program guide now has the same function as the RED button to set a recording
    20. At the end of a recording, playback now stops and returns you to the record history, as opposed to looping continuously

Fusion

1. Software Upgrades to fix hangs etc
    2. Subtitle Record
    3. Watch whilst recording (chase play)
    4. Retrospective recording ie if you decide to record the current program it will include up to the 30 min buffer.
    5. 14 day EPG
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, quite a difference really. I'd forgotten all the goodies that Thomson got with their update. The one I would like most is auto-padding. Maybe we'll get that some day. But I'm very glad for Bestbear that subtitle recording is now possible!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Howards109 wrote:
    From my point of view if the box no longer hangs (or at least not as often) and doesn't loose recordings then I'll be much happier with it.
    Can't agree more. My 14 day EPG also downloaded fine.

Cheers Fusion :D

Theo
  • stafsstafs Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Fusion already had instant recording and could cycle round the EPG, i.e., go back to 1 from 704 before the update. Several features relate to a preview window and scheduled archiving which the Fusion does not have and wasn't expecting. And there a several UI functionality tweaks.

On the whole there are three features which I would be disappointed not to get if I was expecting a similar update as the Thomson:

Guard time
    Daily/Weekly recordings
    Return to last place in programme guide

But, hey, we got chase play at last which was the only thing I really wanted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Have Fusion fixed the left/right audio problem?

My box is connected to the TV via SCART and during the new Nescafe advert for decaf coffee you really notice that the sound for the left channel comes out the right hand side, and visa-versa.

Is this something they can fix via firmware? The problem happens on live and recorded material I believe.

dnheys
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BubblePack wrote:
    No, I tried it and it doesn't appear to work.

I thought resume playback was already available ? Didn't Ang find it by mistake somewhere in the original FVRT100 thread ? Instead of pressing enter you press Play, or something like that .. ? Apologies if it wasn't you Ang, but I am sure it was mentioned at some point
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Been waiting 4 months for this update, and the box was switched off last night.........
    :mad:

Andy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay23Sx wrote:
    I thought resume playback was already available ? Didn't Ang find it by mistake somewhere in the original FVRT100 thread ? Instead of pressing enter you press Play, or something like that .. ? Apologies if it wasn't you Ang, but I am sure it was mentioned at some point
    I think there's a way to get it to start up at the last thumbnail that you've passed. I can't rember how though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Has anyone else noticed that the clock seems to be accurate now?

Mine changes at the same time as my video which updates from the aerial signal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    BubblePack wrote:
    In the context of having upgraded my hard drive (Samsung SP1604N), I notice that the update appears to have mangled a small minority of my recordings that were okay previously. Now, they begin playback okay but then freeze at the same point and it appears that the rest of the material is not available. Attempting playback from scenes at a later point simply result in the recording playing back from the beginning.

I'm not too concerned as this is one of the risks that I accepted when I did the upgrade. I have deleted the affected recordings and will see how the box performs as it goes forward. It could be that something about them is invalid to the new software and the possibility of new recordings having the same problem has been eliminated.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing, hard disk upgrade or not?

Yes, bubblepack - mine has done exactly this (I too have upgraded to the Samsung SP1604N). Only a few of the recordings are affected. They seem to be the first ones I made after the upgrade- i.e. when the new hard drive was still on software v1.6.3 - was this the same with you? Could this be the cause?