Options

Champcar on Eurosport 2005

Comments

• Options
    Emilian StoykovEmilian Stoykov Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    A bit of an update on Eurosport's coverage from MarkC:
    "As I said, by contract Eurosport will show all races, and all of them will be live either on Eurosport1 or Eurosport2 and that's true for all of the UK, i.e. the 10 million homes they have there. We have received confirmation from Eurosport who was very surprised by our even questioning it, as the contract with Champ Car stipulates live for their whole territory (Europe), including the UK"
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    A bit of an update on Eurosport's coverage from MarkC:
    "As I said, by contract Eurosport will show all races, and all of them will be live either on Eurosport1 or Eurosport2 and that's true for all of the UK, i.e. the 10 million homes they have there. We have received confirmation from Eurosport who was very surprised by our even questioning it, as the contract with Champ Car stipulates live for their whole territory (Europe), including the UK"

Oh man, it's one round of bad news followed by good news followed by bad news followed by good.....I don't know what to believe at the minute....

....I know what I WANT to believe though! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    A potential spanner works for the UK, though, is that - despite being described in the EPG as Eurosport 2 UK - Eurosport 2 appears in fact to be a pan-European feed.

Assuming that's correct, it means that if Eurosport were showing Champcar live on Eurosport International, but British Eurosport were showing something else (Italian Football being the most likely) it would still not be possible to put the race over on Eurosport 2 for UK viewers.
  • Options
    IgniteIgnite Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just done some checking on Astra 1 at 19.2E and they only have 1 Eurosport channel listed in any of the European packages except the Polish. There does not seem to be a Eurosport 2 or Eurosport News listed for Germany, Spain, Netherlands or France. I would guess then that most if not all races will be on the main International Eurosports channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An interesting quote from a recent article on the Champcar website announcing the new TV production deal with Molson sports and entertainment.....
    Combining Molson Sports & Entertainment’s production with our new multi-year network deals with NBC and CBS, as well as live European coverage with Eurosport and Eurosport 2, we believe we are giving our fans one of the strongest television packages available.”

Yeah, not just the usual Eurosport stuff, but firstly that MSE produced probably the best races last year at Toronto when the director had the guts to stay onboard with Tracy for over a whole lap as he barged past about 4 or 5 cars!
    So I expect a big step up coverage quality wise for Champcar next year!

Now...to the part about actually seeing it....

This seems to be the first official confirmation of at least some kind of rights deal with Eurosport 2 from the horses mouth so to speak, backing up what Mark C has been saying all along. (Did I just say that? :eek: )

It may just be they have negociated the rights to show snippits in Champcar in whatever they call "Motorsports weekend" this year (prime-time Monday morning slot on E1 apparently! :eek: Bet it turns up a lot on E2 though, Motors TV style! )
    It could be that there's a live Eurosport 2 prospect.....

Again, the confusion reigns! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any European broadcaster interesting in this I wonder??

In preparation for the 2005 season, Molson Sports & Entertainment will assemble a high quality production team to include technical and on-air talent.
    First order of business will be to produce in-depth interviews with the Champ Car drivers at next month's Champ Car Spring Training session.

Molson Sports & Entertainment will also assist in the production of post-session video news releases as well as the popular satellite media tour Sunday night at the track.

The satellite media tour allows television stations from around the country to conduct live one-on-one interviews with the Champ Car race winner directly after the event
    for use on their local sportscasts

Footage and interviews from Spring training.....yes please!

I like these Molson S&E people already! ;)
  • Options
    AdderAdder Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To poke my head up again and flag a change to Eurosport's schedule info, sure to stir things up again. Preliminary British Eurosport schedules for April show that, unlike Eurosport International who will air two hours possibly live on Sunday night, British Eurosport will show one hours highlights of the race at 11am CET on Monday. This will be the only showing on British Eurosport.

I don't really need to tell you what takes precidence on the Sunday night do I?

So again while this deal may be better for Europe the series is dead as far as UK viewers go!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Adder wrote:
    To poke my head up again and flag a change to Eurosport's schedule info, sure to stir things up again. Preliminary British Eurosport schedules for April show that, unlike Eurosport International who will air two hours possibly live on Sunday night, British Eurosport will show one hours highlights of the race at 11am CET on Monday. This will be the only showing on British Eurosport.

I don't really need to tell you what takes precidence on the Sunday night do I?

So again while this deal may be better for Europe the series is dead as far as UK viewers go!

*sigh*

Well.....great, just as I was getting pumped up about the new season with the Da Matta announcement, here comes this news.......
    WHO again thought that Eurosport would be a good idea? :confused: :mad:

May I just take this time to advertise the Champcar race director, on the Champcar main website......an F1 Digital like service where you can watch the whole weekend LIVE with no adverts, no stupid pop up messages and scrollbars and no schedule clashes!

Someone had also better tell that Mark C fella who promised us 100% live coverage or Eurosport would find themselves sued.
    Well, British Eurosport sure are sailing close to the wind! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now that I've had time to think about it, I've realised Eurosport has pulled a major SNAFU by not regionalising Eurosport 2.....

It doesn't make sense to have British Eurosport and then Eurosport 2 which is the same for everyone, because if International is showing Champcars live, they're not going to be able to put it on Eurosport 2 as well so we British Eurosport Champcar fans can escape the dreaded Italian Football (ITALIAN football.....more important for BRITISH viewers.....larks almighty there's something wrong there!
    They could be watching BRITISH racer Justin Wilson win Long Beach instead! ;) )

If it was BRITISH Eurosport 2, then there would be no problem in showing Champcars on it as long as it was just for Britian and it wasn't doubling up their resources and wasting two channels!

Hmmm, I'm going to have a look to see if there's any Eurosport 2 schedules anywhere......we MAY get a "Full race replay" or something on Monday night (which of course would be the first British Eurosport peeps got to see of it! ;) )
    Won't hold my breath though... :(
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adder wrote:

I can't get Mogador to go past week 10 - even if I type in a week 14/15 date, it just reverts to wk10 - so what are you doing to allow you to see further?

Reply by PM if necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I must be the only one on here who is happy about the news. I cancelled Sky at the end of last month so only have the Freesat package. However I do have a dish pointed at Astra 1 so I get the International Eurosport in German in digital and English/German on the old analogue box. I was going to get my sister to video any races that were going to be on Eurosport 2.

For those of you with access to old kit, Eurosport is still in analogue at 19.2E with English commentry most of the time.

Andy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Arius, go to the export section and type thе "from-to" dates that you want to see. For BE the latest possible day is around the middle of April, while E. International's listings are available through november.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is this site that you are getting the listings from? PM me if you don't want to list it here.

Thanks

Andy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arius, go to the export section and type thе "from-to" dates that you want to see. For BE the latest possible day is around the middle of April, while E. International's listings are available through november.

Ah, I never thought about trying to export listings. I was just using the program and grid functions.

Well looking at Long Beach, I wouldn't expect it to be that late and live - surely that race would start at 21:00 UK/22:00 CET, not at 23:30 as the Eurosport International slot suggests?

And it seems that it is a repeat of the FIA GTs which is keeping it off British Eurosport, not the Italian football which would be over by that time.

Eurosport 2 incidentally is showing live tennis at that time,
    and it is only showing highlights of the Champ Cars on subsequent days - 21:00 on the monday and 15:00 on the tuesday.

BE has highlights at 11:00 on the monday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's the current schedule for Eurosport International (all times CET):
    April 10 - 23:00-1:15 - Long Beach
    May 22 - 18:45-20:45 - Monterrey (this has to change because the race will be run on a Saturday)
    June 4 - 23:15-00:15 - Milwaukee
    June 19 - 00:00-1:00 - Portland
    June 26 - 00:00-1:00 - Cleveland
    July 10 - 18:45-20:45 - Toronto
    July 17 - 00:00-1:00 - Edmonton
    July 31 - 23:45-0:45 - San Jose
    August 14 - 23:45-00:45 - Denver
    August 28 - 21:30-23:30 - Montreal
    September 24 - 22:00-00:00 - Las Vegas (that'll change, because the race will be run in the morning of the 25th)
    October 16 - 10:30-11:30 - Ansan
    October 16 replay - 22:45-23:45
    October 23 - 7:45-9:45 - Surfers Paradise
    November 6 - 21:45-23:45 - Mexico City
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the current schedule for Eurosport International (all times CET):
    April 10 - 23:00-1:15 - Long Beach
    May 22 - 18:45-20:45 - Monterrey (this has to change because the race will be run on a Saturday)

It only has to change if they plan on showing it live.
    At the moment there are only 4 live races in that schedule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Could you list the four races? I'm not sure about the start times.

Anyway here's the Eurosport 2 schedule (CET again)

June 4 Milwaukee, Wisconsin 19:00-21:00
    July 17 Edmonton 22:00-0:00
    July 31 San Jose, California 22:00-0:00
    Aug. 14 Denver, Colorado 22:00-00:00
    Oct. 16 Ansan, Korea 08:00-10:00

Portland seems the only race that will be only highlights, as there is a massive empty slot for the evening of June 26 when the Cleveland race is run.

All in all Eurosport 2 seems to be the best possible thing to happen for motorsports fans. The amount of hours devoted to motorsports is very good. For example with Eurosport/Eurosport 2 there'll be uninterrupted coverage of the first 6 and last 6 hours of Le Mans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote:
    Ah, I never thought about trying to export listings. I was just using the program and grid functions.

Well looking at Long Beach, I wouldn't expect it to be that late and live - surely that race would start at 21:00 UK/22:00 CET, not at 23:30 as the Eurosport International slot suggests?

And it seems that it is a repeat of the FIA GTs which is keeping it off British Eurosport, not the Italian football which would be over by that time.

FIA GT's?? REPEAT?

I'd never have thought it would've been the boring old GT's keeping Champcar off the air.....either Mr Mosely is paying them a pretty penny for a live airing AND a full repeat (when last year they could only get the highlights) or Eurosport will REALLY be pushing the Super Racing Weekend more than ever next year....(good news for *cough* WORLD Touring Car and Formula Super Renault then......)

Perhaps it might change then?
    I know that if it was the might of Italian Football there wouldn't be a hogs hope in...err...heavens chance to get the Champcars in, but the GT's could easily be shown after Long Beach has concluded, it's not like it's going to overrun (damn 1hr 45 time limit)..... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It think it's a repeat of the GT highlights, rather than the full race.
    ...and Formula Super Renault is no longer part of the SRW.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote:
    It think it's a repeat of the GT highlights, rather than the full race.
    ...and Formula Super Renault is no longer part of the SRW.

Ok, I think we've gone over this ground before but none of these new names seem to want to stick in my head for whatever reason, but we're talking about the ex-Dallara Nissan series, yes? :confused:

And is the Super Racing weekend going to turn into Super Renault weekend and the WTCC will be out on it's own, or are they in fact two seperate tours? :confused:

I'm hopeless when it comes to confusingly vauge new series! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ariusuk's Vague Guide to what races where:

F1 / GP2 / Porsche Super Cup

DTM / F3 Euroseries

FIA GT / WTCC

Renault V6 / Megane Cup / F Renault 2000 Eurocup

British F3 / British GT / British F Ford

BTCC / Porsche Carrera Cup / SEAT Cupra / F Renault / Clio Cup / FBMW UK

F Superfund / FIA European Trucks

Champ Car / Toyota Atlantic

IRL / Infiniti Pro

But there are exceptions. And guest races. And it's all very complicated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually I'm not sure FIA GT is causing the problem. The Long Beach race starts at 21:00 GMT live and 22:00 GMT on International. Serie A football ends at 22:45. You'd think that would be a good time for the ChampCar race, but a 90 minute Moto GP replay is scheduled and than the 30 minute GT highlights (NOT a replay). So Moto GP seems to be the problem here.

And a bit off topic, all GP 2 races seem to be live on Eurosport 2 and there'll be no coverage on Eurosport. The starnge thing is all the races are on Saturday. Weren't they supposed to be on Sunday?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And presumably that will be the same MotoGP which was repeated an hour previously on Eurosport2.

...and which would be shown on BBC2 about an hour later.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the Italian football finishes at 21:45 BST, which is 20:45 GMT, so British Eurosport could show a 15 minute filler, then take live Champcars if they didn't have the MotoGP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote:
    The other thing to bear in mind is that the Italian football finishes at 21:45 BST, which is 20:45 GMT, so British Eurosport could show a 15 minute filler, then take live Champcars if they didn't have the MotoGP.

Unfortunately not - the race starts at 21:00 BST, so would still clash with the Italian football.

If anyone wants an (almost) complete list of the live race start times, see this page which shows the US airtimes for all this years races. All but Las Vegas, Korea and Australia are being shown live, so simply add five hours onto the listed time for UK time (or 6 hours for CET).
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that!!!
    Jp

ariusuk wrote:
    Ariusuk's Vague Guide to what races where:

F1 / GP2 / Porsche Super Cup

DTM / F3 Euroseries

FIA GT / WTCC

Renault V6 / Megane Cup / F Renault 2000 Eurocup

British F3 / British GT / British F Ford

BTCC / Porsche Carrera Cup / SEAT Cupra / F Renault / Clio Cup / FBMW UK

F Superfund / FIA European Trucks

Champ Car / Toyota Atlantic

IRL / Infiniti Pro

But there are exceptions. And guest races. And it's all very complicated.