Options

Champcar on Eurosport 2005

Comments

• Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    jonnyboy wrote:
    Unfortunately not - the race starts at 21:00 BST, so would still clash with the Italian football.

If anyone wants an (almost) complete list of the live race start times, see this page which shows the US airtimes for all this years races. All but Las Vegas, Korea and Australia are being shown live, so simply add five hours onto the listed time for UK time (or 6 hours for CET).

Funnily enough those races are probably ones we've got a chance of seeing live, unless TV Shop is deemed to be more important....(or perhaps to avoid losing money, the looping news broadcast on E2 could make way if E1 won't....)

However, that depends if there'll be a live feed offered for them to take live, but last years track record on Motors showed there was and with Race Director around, I can't see there not being one....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote:
    Ariusuk's Vague Guide to what races where:

F1 / GP2 / Porsche Super Cup

DTM / F3 Euroseries

FIA GT / WTCC

Renault V6 / Megane Cup / F Renault 2000 Eurocup

British F3 / British GT / British F Ford

BTCC / Porsche Carrera Cup / SEAT Cupra / F Renault / Clio Cup / FBMW UK

F Superfund / FIA European Trucks

Champ Car / Toyota Atlantic

But there are exceptions. And guest races. And it's all very complicated.

Don't forget

SCSA (Nee Days of Thunder, nee ASCAR, ) /Pickup Trucks/Random guest race per meeting
  • Options
    IgniteIgnite Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so this is very slightly off topic, but is there a site that lists who has what races in terms of the broadcasters? There is a site for football that lists matches and all of the broadcasters times for those matches. Having access to both the free channels at 19 and 28, there is so much that is available.

As a side note, is there any word yet of any other broadcasters besides Sky who will be covering the A1 GP when it starts in September?

Thanks

Andy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Ignite wrote:
    Ok, so this is very slightly off topic, but is there a site that lists who has what races in terms of the broadcasters? There is a site for football that lists matches and all of the broadcasters times for those matches. Having access to both the free channels at 19 and 28, there is so much that is available.

Andy

Got to agree this would be great, I'm still hoping that someone other than NASN will be showing my fave NASCAR.
    No luck so far.
  • Options
    AdderAdder Posts: 1,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having now looked at the schedules I'm more optimistic, the British Eurosport schedule appears to show Long Beach being shown from 22.00 GMT to 0.15, the mechanics of doing that could be more interesting though.... as they normally do a JIP in that situation, which is faaaar more anoying than a tape delay, as you then never get to see the opening laps.

Then there are 2 showing of the highlight show on British Eurosport and a couple on Eurosport 2.

Also now that Monterrey is back on a Sunday again at least Eurosport International should be able to show it live.

I'm please about the Le Mans coverage, though they appear to be missing about half an hour at the end from my calulations (14.30-15.00 CET on Sunday).

GP2 appears to flit about between Eurosport and Eurosport 2, but anythings better than the 8am on Sunday morning of last year!

It also shows a lot of live FIA GT Races pretty much in full on Eurosport 2, with notably Silverstone being interrupted by MX Moto.

There's going to be a lot of busy Sundays for them with FIA GT, WTCC, Champ Car, Moto GP and Superbike and there look to be some highlights of the World Series by Renault as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Adder wrote:
    Having now looked at the schedules I'm more optimistic, the British Eurosport schedule appears to show Long Beach being shown from 22.00 GMT to 0.15, the mechanics of doing that could be more interesting though.... as they normally do a JIP in that situation, which is faaaar more anoying than a tape delay, as you then never get to see the opening laps.

Then there are 2 showing of the highlight show on British Eurosport and a couple on Eurosport 2.

Also now that Monterrey is back on a Sunday again at least Eurosport International should be able to show it live.

I'm please about the Le Mans coverage, though they appear to be missing about half an hour at the end from my calulations (14.30-15.00 CET on Sunday).

GP2 appears to flit about between Eurosport and Eurosport 2, but anythings better than the 8am on Sunday morning of last year!

It also shows a lot of live FIA GT Races pretty much in full on Eurosport 2, with notably Silverstone being interrupted by MX Moto.

There's going to be a lot of busy Sundays for them with FIA GT, WTCC, Champ Car, Moto GP and Superbike and there look to be some highlights of the World Series by Renault as well.

Well, if Adder's more optimistic, then that's surely a good sign! ;)

I'd hope someone important had a word in their ear and pointed out the "err.....you signed a live deal here, no shenanigans like you did with the NASCAR" factor! :)

I'm still getting race director though, unless they take the 100% unexpected and unlikely decision to show qualifying too! :)
  • Options
    AdderAdder Posts: 1,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I can see things are shaping up better now for the UK at the moment there are 8 races scheduled to be live or pretty damn close and 3 delayed races with 3 more with times to be confirmed.

The live races will be about 50/50 between British Eurosport and Eurosport 2.

The only race that British viewers get a poor show on is Montreal for which an extended highlights show is scheduled for 8.45am on the Monday morning.

I think the optimism is appearing to be justified, I hope!
  • Options
    Dave_EDave_E Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is pretty good news, but as we've all seen before it's not the scheduling that necessarily is the problem. It's the overrunning snooker, tennis or pro-celebrity kick boxing that is the problem for BE. Where I am hopeful though is that Eurosport 2 will not have the same kind of problems because their focus does not appear really to be on showing a lot of live sport, so schedules would normally (fingers crossed) by fairly accurate.
  • Options
    lloydbaylisslloydbayliss Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave_E wrote:
    That is pretty good news, but as we've all seen before it's not the scheduling that necessarily is the problem. It's the overrunning snooker, tennis or pro-celebrity kick boxing that is the problem for BE. Where I am hopeful though is that Eurosport 2 will not have the same kind of problems because their focus does not appear really to be on showing a lot of live sport, so schedules would normally (fingers crossed) by fairly accurate.

Sorry, not quite as optomistic here :( I Sky+'d one of the indoor trials rounds the other day on BE2, all looked rosy, recorded the programme after that as well because I know too damned well what their reputation is like for scheduling. When I went to watch it, there was women's tennis on, not even live, and not even a mention of what was supposed to have been on. When that finished, off they went on their jolly way to some men's tennis.

I despair when it comes to Eurosport - British, European or 2 - I really do :mad:
  • Options
    Emilian StoykovEmilian Stoykov Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    The good thing is that most races are after Serie A football. A sport that can't overrun unlike tennis and the like.
  • Options
    lloydbaylisslloydbayliss Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The good thing is that most races are after Serie A football. A sport that can't overrun unlike tennis and the like.

That's probably a good thing, but to be honest, I'm sure Eurosport will find a way to screw it up more than once during the season :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Optimism and Eurosport.......hmmm, not something I'm used to but what else have we got to fall back on?

Oh well....still a long time until Long Beach (starts the same day as Donington BTCC premiere as well as WTCC from Monza....great tracks! Great test for the Sky +! ) which gives them time to change the schedules at least three more times....

And WHY has Eurosport concluded a lucrative deal to show highlights of the NASCAR BUSCH series... :confused:

About as much use as a parachute in space..... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where did that "news" about Bush on Eurosport come from? I've looked all over their schedules and there is no mention of NASCAR BUSH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Btw, if anyone was wondering about IRL's status on Eurosport here's an e-mail reply I recieved today:
    "Dear Emillian,

Thank you for your mail and interest in Eurosport.

Unfortunately this season we do not have the rights to the IRL Indycar series. However we will be broadcasting Champ Cars Series starting in April, perhaps this may be of interest to you.

Kind Regards,
    Eurosport"

So the majority of Europe will be blacked out of IRL racing this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eurosport wrote:
    Unfortunately this season we do not have the rights to the IRL Indycar series. However we will be broadcasting Champ Cars Series starting in April, perhaps this may be of interest to you.

Hmmmm.....I wonder if that's a coincidence.... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where did that "news" about Bush on Eurosport come from? I've looked all over their schedules and there is no mention of NASCAR BUSH.
    NASCAR Busch Series (Motoring)
    Time - 22:30 - 23:30 (1 hour long)
    When - Sunday 27th February on Eurosport
    (Daytona)
    Motor racing highlights from the NASCAR Busch event at Daytona

British Eurosport too.....identical
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Its like Eurocrap have seen what motorsports have been doing well on Motors TV and pinched the rights to them, knowing full well that can never hope to match the coverage that Motors TV have given them in the past, i.e. ChampCars...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member

The bad thing is that Serie A usually goes off-air at 9.30pm (UK time), so races that start at 9pm will probably be joined in progress.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, they'll be shown in full, but with a 30 min delay. Here are the schedules for BE and Eurosport 2:
    BE: (times GMT)
    April 10 Long Beach 21:30-23:30 30 min. delay
    May 22 Monterrey 21:45-23:45 3 hour delay
    June 19 Portland 21:00-23:00 Live
    June 26 Cleveland 21:00-23:00 2h and 30m. delay
    July 10 Toronto 17:45-19:45 Live
    July 17 Edmonton 22:45-23:45 Highlights
    July 31 San Jose 00:45-01:45 Highlights
    August 14 Denver 22:45-23:45 Highlights
    August 29 Montreal 08:45-10:00 Highlights (monday)
    Sept. 24 Las Vegas 21:00-23:00 the time slot will be changed
    Octo. 16 Ansan, Korea 09:30-10:30 Highlights
    Oct. 23 Surfers Paradise 06:45-08:45 Live or short delay
    Nov. 6 Mexico City times unavailable

Eurosport 2: (times GMT)
    June 4 Milwaukee 18:00-20:00 Live
    July 17 Edmonton 21:00-23:00 1h. delay
    July 31 San Jose 21:00-23:00 Live
    Aug. 14 Denver 21:00-23:00 Live
    Oct. 16 Ansan 09:30-11:30 short delay or Live

And for those interested, here's the updated schedule for Eurosport International:
    Eurosport International: (times CET)
    April 10 Long Beach 22:00-00:00 Live
    May 22 Monterrey 18:45-20:45 Live
    June 5 Milwaukee 23:30-00:30 Highlights
    June 19 Portland, 22:00-00:00 Live
    June 26 Cleveland, 22:00-01:00 2h and 30m. delay
    July 10 Toronto 18:45-21:45 Live
    July 17 Edmonton 00:00-01:00 Highlights
    July 31 San Jose 23:45-00:45 Highlights
    Aug. 14 Denver, 23:45-00:45 Highlights
    Aug. 28 Montreal 21:30-23:30 2h. delay
    Sept. 24 Las Vegas 22:00-00:00 the time slot will be changed
    Oct. 16 Ansan, Korea 10:30-11:30 Highlights
    Oct. 23 Surfers Paradise 07:45-09:45 Live or short delay
    Nov. 6 Mexico City 21:45-23:45 Live
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, I see Simon Cowell is running the Pro-celebrity GP at Long Beach, I wonder if there'll be any ITV cameras around with him for the next Pop Idol/Star thingy.....

Either that or something for the Race World type shows of the world, perhaps....(well, UK and USA anyway...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES SETS LINEUP OF ANNOUNCERS FOR 2005 TELEVISION BROADCASTS

The Champ Car World Series enters the 2005 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford season with one of its strongest television packages in the last 10 seasons, and today announced that it has assembled a veteran team of motorsports professionals to describe all of the action on this year’s broadcasts.

Rick Benjamin returns as the play-by-play man for this year’s broadcasts, which will see four races carried on CBS, two on NBC and eight on SPEED Channel. Benjamin made his Champ Car debut last year after many years covering a number of different racing series, and returns for a second season in 2005.

“I am truly excited and honored to be back for what will be an exciting year in the Champ Car World Series,” Benjamin said. “We have one of the strongest driver lineups in years, the new events will be exciting and working with CBS, NBC and SPEED Channel gives us great outlets to showcase the series. I am really looking forward to a great season working with a great crew.”

Benjamin will be joined in the booth by long-time Champ Car announcer Derek Daly, who was a formidable racer in the Champ Car series in the 1980s before picking up the microphone. Daly has worked as an analyst and pit reporter for many seasons with Champ Car and will move upstairs to provide color commentary for the 2005 season.

“It’s been 20 years since I started my broadcast career as an analyst for Champ Car,” Daly recalled. “I am looking forward to returning to my television roots and injecting a little fun into the broadcast.”

Great that Derek Daly finally gets a permenant analyst role, he did very well with that at Surfers Paradise last year I thought....

However, he's replacing about the only guy worth listening to on the team from last year, the often contraversial Tommy Kendall.
    However, TK may have racing comittments, so it might be unavoidable.....shame

All this is irrelevant though if Eurosport end up taking the world feed, which I'm worried they will.

I hope that's been improved over poor Jeremy Shaw sitting on his own at an outpost somewhere luring whatever guest he can find........
    Jeremy's a great analyst, but he's not a lead commentator by any stretch of the imagination...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess I'm the only one that will prefer the international feed. Jeremy's enthusiasm does more for me to get into the race than all the information from the pit reporters. But seeing as ChampCar has a new production partner I think we'll see a lead man, alongside Jeremy.

It's a shame that The King of Dullness himself is doing the domestic play-by-play, because the other members of the team are first class. Especially Jon Beekhuis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess I'm the only one that will prefer the international feed. Jeremy's enthusiasm does more for me to get into the race than all the information from the pit reporters. But seeing as ChampCar has a new production partner I think we'll see a lead man, alongside Jeremy.

It's a shame that The King of Dullness himself is doing the domestic play-by-play, because the other members of the team are first class. Especially Jon Beekhuis.

Well, he's nothing special, but he was a marked improvement over the guy who did the first two races last year, who just so blatently didn't care it wasn't even funny!!

.....perhaps explained because he'd the year before been commentating on the IRL and saw it as a demotion... :rolleyes: :mad:
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,397
    Forum Member
    Eurosport always use the International feed, the only reason Motors used the american feed last year was that the International feed was horrid. The Int. feed often had a distorted aspect ratio with no analysis from the pits. At Laguna seca lst year they used the International feed before switching to the us feed, it was only then we found out that Tracy & Bourdais had collided on the 1st lap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rick IS an improvement over Jenks, but anyone would be an improvement over him, except maybe Stephen Cox.

And breaking news for you brit fans: Long beach will air LIVE with a 15 min. build-up. I don't know what happened to the Serie A match. That's even better when you consider the Long beach race was completely removed from the schedule for the last couple of weeks.