Options

More human rights acts of bullshit!

MediumwaveMediumwave Posts: 194
Forum Member
A compensation payout to convicted paedophile Rupert Massey was condemned in the Commons today.

Human rights judges in Europe decided to award the former barrister more than £5,000 because of the length of his trial.

Massey was jailed for six years in December 1999 after being convicted of 16 counts of assaults on young boys in the 1970s and 1980s.

By the time the trial was completed, and an appeal heard and rejected, the case had lasted four years, nine months and one day from the date of his arrest.

After a complaint by Massey, Strasbourg judges ruled it was reasonable to assume he had suffered “some distress and frustration exacerbated by the unreasonable length of the proceedings”.

They agreed that his case amounted to a breach of his human rights because, under the European Human Rights Convention, everyone is entitled to their criminal hearing “within a reasonable time”.

Labour’s Stephen McCabe (Birmingham Hall Green) angrily protested: “Surely this is human rights gone mad.

“Shouldn’t we be thinking of ways of clawing this money back and repaying it to the Criminal Injuries Board who have already had to compensate Massey’s victim for the stress they suffered because of his evil deeds,” he added to shouts of support from MPs.

Commons leader Peter Hain replied: “I find it absolutely extraordinary that a convicted paedophile could have been put in this position and get this kind of compensation for stress when the stress caused to his victims is incomparably greater.

“I just find it absolutely extraordinary and many, many people I am sure, right across this House, and in the country will simply not understand it.”

Don't you just love the EU! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you going to give credit to the author/publisher of that?
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mediumwave wrote:
    By the time the trial was completed, and an appeal heard and rejected, the case had lasted four years, nine months and one day from the date of his arrest.

why did it take so long? :confused:
    who footed the bill? :confused:
    how much money did the lawyers earn? :confused: