Options

Voting Conservative.

rachelb65rachelb65 Posts: 14,325
Forum Member
✭✭
I have just started reading the politics forum over the last week and find that there doesn’t seem to be many conservative FMs. Is this because there just isn’t any ;) or they feel that they will be hounded off the forum and feel they are in the minority so don’t post with a worry to being ridiculed.

Well I’m probably going to put my head on the block for this and admit I’m not a very good debater on forums ( might be due to not being a good typist as I have no problem when face to face putting my point over but I’ll do the best I can) but I have always voted conservative and probably will this time round.

I suppose on the outside to many I would be classed as having middle class possessions. On the inside I am and always have been working class.

I believe if you want something then you should work hard for it and not expect to get something for nothing.

When we (hubby and me) have slogged our guts out at times to get all we what we have and sometimes just enough to survive on and then find over the last 7 years our income reduce so those who don’t work get their benefits topped up and then can have holidays abroad it makes me a little miffed.

Don’t get me wrong I believe benefits should be there to help support those when it’s needed but when I hear about people who can’t work because of illness struggling and benefits going to others who use it to buy the best widescreen TVs and a week away in Spain then something is seriously wrong :mad:

Let the onslaught begin :eek:

Comments

• Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel, I am heartened by anyone who gets off the sofa and walks down to their local polling booth to vote regardless of who they vote for, unless it's the BNP of course. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does it work? I know you can go to schools but won't I be working that day? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never in a million trillion years, i'm in a bit of a quandry this year, won't vote tory, can't justify voting labour, cant see lib dems getting in.

I remember what a depressing place the country was in the early 90's and how relieved the atmosphere seemed when labour got in.

I also remember how upset my mum was when Peter Lilley cut Carers Allowance which she used to help feed and cloth us, whilst his wife waltzed about with a £6,000 handbag :mad:
  • Options
    RatinhoRatinho Posts: 5,129
    Forum Member
    Can't really justify voting for anyone.

The suggestion that they will actually live up to their promises leaves me cold, and the only thing taht would change if Howard got in, would be Bush hating us aswell as the rest of the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was carers allowance mrs harman
  • Options
    GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel I don't think you'd find anyone who disagreed with your sentiments - those are the reasons I will be voting - I am unsure what yet, but definately not Conservative.

It is a question of what policies you believe will achieve what you want to see. I have been given no reason to believe the Tories woudl be any different this time round to their last spell in government (and remember it was Michael Howard who was Home Secretary so he is unlikely to come out and say - everything I did before was wrong and I am now a changed man).

Like Pamela, as long as it isn't BNP or the likes I am happy for people to vote for what they feel is right - rather that than not vote at all I say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was/is a form of benefit which helps people who don't work because they cant as they have to look after sick or disabled relatives.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rachelb65 - welcome to the Politics forum.

Don't be scared about being a conservitive voter on this forum. Most of us won't bite ;)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could vote Conservative I would but as I live in NI I can't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GG wrote:
    Rachel I don't think you'd find anyone who disagreed with your sentiments - those are the reasons I will be voting - I am unsure what yet, but definately not Conservative.

It is a question of what policies you believe will achieve what you want to see. .

What is your primary reason for your vote? For yourself or for others ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cifpower wrote:
    If I could vote Conservative I would but as I live in NI I can't.

Well technically it is only and English / Welsh party.

There is the Conservative and Unionist Party in Scotland - but obviously the leader of that is not Michael Howard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote:
    rachelb65 - welcome to the Politics forum.

Don't be scared about being a conservitive voter on this forum. Most of us won't bite ;)

Thanks .... Nothing scares me ;)

Not even the odd nibble ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rachelb65 wrote:
    What is your primary reason for your vote? For yourself or for others ?

I vote on what I think are the best policies to benefit myself without causing hardship or harm to others primarily.

I see Conservative polices which would not only cause me and others tremendous harm, but also destroy the country as they did in the 80s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GG wrote:
    Well technically it is only and English / Welsh party.

There is the Conservative and Unionist Party in Scotland - but obviously the leader of that is not Michael Howard.

The party is in NI but only field councillors of which there are a few in North Down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you have to ask yourself is:

Can you afford private healthcare? (in my case: NO)

Are you likely to inherit significantly over £263 000, at which point you'd be concerned that you'd get 'only' £600 per £1000 above that? (In my case: not thought about it, but inheritance will be shared by 4, so if inheritance was £400 000 my cut would be £86 300 instead of £100 000. Trust me if someone fancied giving me £100 000 then said there was a tax on it i'd still be chuffed. Where would the tax revenue be found? Income tax going up? Not winning a vote on this one.

Is your job security fairly low? yes? so economic stability probably keeps you in the job. (I'm a student.)

Ok the Tories are gonna scrap tuition fees. YAY! But wait.... increased interest rate on loans. I'd actually be worse off. This seems like a gimmick to me, rich kids who don't need loans go free, poor ones who need loans subsidise the rich! Seems backward to me.

Minimum wage? Couldn't back the Tories policy on that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to vote Lib Dem because they are anti-war pro environment and want to scrap tuition fees. However, i don't think much of Charles Kennedy and think he would be a rubbish PM, Howard is vile, Blair is a statesman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jfman wrote:
    What you have to ask yourself is:

Can you afford private healthcare? (in my case: NO)

Are you likely to inherit significantly over £263 000, at which point you'd be concerned that you'd get 'only' £600 per £1000 above that? (In my case: not thought about it, but inheritance will be shared by 4, so if inheritance was £400 000 my cut would be £86 300 instead of £100 000. Trust me if someone fancied giving me £100 000 then said there was a tax on it i'd still be chuffed. Where would the tax revenue be found? Income tax going up? Not winning a vote on this one.

Is your job security fairly low? yes? so economic stability probably keeps you in the job. (I'm a student.)

Ok the Tories are gonna scrap tuition fees. YAY! But wait.... increased interest rate on loans. I'd actually be worse off. This seems like a gimmick to me, rich kids who don't need loans go free, poor ones who need loans subsidise the rich! Seems backward to me.

Minimum wage? Couldn't back the Tories policy on that one.

Why should my kids pay tax on what we have bought from our already paid taxed money when we die. I want them to have the total of what was mine.

I would like to know what your definition is of a rich kid?

Mine would not be entitled to any help but I wouldn't be able to afford at the todays standards to fund my kids in uni and there is a years age gap between them so for a couple of years they would/could be at uni at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rachel, I've always voted Tory for very similar reasons to yourself.

I dont agree with a lot of their policies but I find myself more of a natural Tory voter than a Labour one.
    Hubbie is an out and out Labour voter and we do have a lot of discussions about our views but they're always amicable, even if we see certain things very differently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently, it would seem that if you are on a low income you get a break, if you are wealthy you get a break, but if you earn between £13k and £40k a year you are worst off!

Take Childrens Tax Credit - a single mother earning around £10k a year with 2 kids can get about another £10k a year in Tax Credits whereas a couple bringing home £20k a year between them get hardly anything. The net income for the couple is lower than that of the single mother because of taxes. (Before anyone shoots me down, my mother was a single parent for a while when I was growing up).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NatsD my mum was a single parent from when I was 8 (i was the youngest)Hubbys mum was too and funny enough he was 8 when they divorced too. my mum brought up 5 kids and hubbys mum brought up 3 kids by themselves with not an extra penny from income support. They both went out to work.

Theres many things she has done wrong bringing us up but I give her the greatest respect for her telling us when we were kids "I wont take hand outs from anybody, I will never be a sponger"

I also remember her coming home from strike meetings in tears as the strike vote going the wrong way for her and having to survive on 1.00 a week for 4 weeks ..... and everytime this happened it took her a year to catch up on rent arrears and bills.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rachelb65 wrote:
    NatsD my mum was a single parent from when I was 8 (i was the youngest)Hubbys mum was too and funny enough he was 8 when they divorced too. my mum brought up 5 kids and hubbys mum brought up 3 kids by themselves with not an extra penny from income support. They both went out to work.

Theres many things she has done wrong bringing us up but I give her the greatest respect for her telling us when we were kids "I wont take hand outs from anybody, I will never be a sponger"

I also remember her coming home from strike meetings in tears as the strike vote going the wrong way for her and having to survive on 1.00 a week for 4 weeks ..... and everytime this happened it took her a year to catch up on rent arrears and bills.
    :confused: Sorry if my post caused offence, it certainly wasn't intended and I did state that my Mum was a single parent too (she did a damn fine job without any handouts).

I'm just pointing out the inequalities of the current system, that's all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,268
    Forum Member
    Jumpy wrote:
    How does it work? I know you can go to schools but won't I be working that day? :o
    There will be someone coming to your house to make sure you are on the electoral roll. If not, contact your local council. Before the election you'll be sent a voting card telling you where to vote and what times it opens and closes (usually something like 7am - 10pm).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NatsD wrote:
    :confused: Sorry if my post caused offence, it certainly wasn't intended and I did state that my Mum was a single parent too (she did a damn fine job without any handouts).

I'm just pointing out the inequalities of the current system, that's all.

Don't say sorry ... you didn't offend anyone.

My gripe is that there are so many hand outs of this and that, that we have lost the mentality of people taking responsibilty and thinking all the time that the state will provide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NatsD,

I must admit that since I've been pregnant, I've got more annoyed about the inequality of the system.

It seems to me that if you've worked aand paid tax and NI all your life, you're entitled to bugger all while you're on maternity leave. However, those who have never worked seem to be entitled to a list of stuff as long as your arm (including a £500 up front payment just for having a baby)

Now, I'm not asking the earth but just a little something back for all the years we've paid in would be nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rachelb65 wrote:
    Don't say sorry ... you didn't offend anyone.
    Oh, OK :)