Options

Videotron Cable London gets its Upgrade from NTL:Home

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Ive seen 2 examples of areas been taken over or is it the case of the advertisement teams in both workforce silly?

In Streatham (SW16 and SW2), Walthamstow (E17) and Stratford (E15) there are posters all over the places saying 3 for £30 by Telewest Broadband! On bus stops, train stations and etc. These are stronghold areas of Ntl service areas. However, Telewest seems to be making waves in these areas. Also on top of this, there are a few areas that Telewest has been doing there marketing campaign in Bromley shopping area (The Glade shopping Centre in Bromley). So it seems some movements is going on....I mean when i had a change of Set top box in my house, it was a Telewest engineer who attended. However, i asked for I.D and he claimed and said that the workforce of ntl are busy upgrading streets in London.
    According to Jason ( ntl maintainance team) you will be seeing more of these dudes (Telewest) in areas which are controlled by ntl. :eek:

Maybe more will come out from ntl, when the upgrades are completed! Who knows! :cool:
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow interesting stuff. However I don't know how much the marketing point is worth. I don't think the Telewest advertising strategy or indeed ntl's has been particularly co-ordinated. NTL have for years been advertising cable broadband to my house even though I can't receive it, as a customer of ntl they should know this. Also Telewest have billboarded blueyonder sings where i live and in neighouring towns and the like which either have no cable network presence whatsoever or are in strong ntl areas nowhere near telewest areas. I think the network architecture redesign idea could work as the areas sold to them are adjacent to telewest's own areas.

The telewest thing could simply be that engineering work is subcontracted out and a company who work for ntl also work for telewest and that day the engineer was a telewest man but had ntl orders on his books.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NTL:Home has done it again! Its that time of the month when ntl upgrade program around is taking place and prices increase this year (2005). If customers of ntl remember we had 2 increases in one year. However, does customers of ntl think its justified for the price increase?

Upgrade programs in London are taking place as we speak and the following areas are finished printed by at Jason/ntl. Wembley, Harrow, Roehampton,Putney,Streatham,Balham,Brixton,Norbury (under Lambeth control), parts of Hammersmith,Clapham,Stockwell,Vauxhall,Waterloo (SE1), Deptford, Shooters Hill.

NTL Prices from 1st June 2005:

3-2-1 Standard (basic line rental) up by £1 to £10.50 but now includes free weekend local calls.
    Talk Unlimited Local and Talk Unlimited both reduced by £2 to £12.50 and £16.50 respectively.
    Phone & Surf reduced by £1 to £29.99.

Calls to mobile rates on Talk Plans adjusted, mostly reduced but up on calls to O2 (by 1.25p), T-Mobile (by 3.31p) and Orange (by 0.67p) at weekends.

TV (all prices here include the £1 increase in line rental):
    Base Pack with no premiums up by £2 from £19.50 to £21.50. Mid (not available to new customers) and Family pack prices up £1 because of line rental increase. If you have premiums (Sky Sports/Movies packs) the prices all go up £1). Hangama Pack is down by £1 to £24.00 in addition to your base/mid/family pack subscription. Analogue packs are up £1 because of line rental increase.

Internet:

All broadband stays the same,
    unlimited dial-up goes up £1 a month to £13.49.
    However, pay as you goes up by 5p

There you have it! Enjoy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're saying Wembley Harrow is done, that was quick considering the size of these two areas and the cable/population density. Hmm, I haven't seen any NTL or othe engineers in my area though to upgrade me???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think its a case of40% of each area got the upgrade in the areas i have mentioned. However, Kelly communication had about 50 senior maintainance team in the wembley area alone. Jason/ntl was telling me.
    A lot of complaints from one road in NW London which a member of a public wrote their local MP to find out why is it we cant get broadband?

However, i think like my area. At the top of my street is broadband enabled, but where i live (even though my road has been overhauled) there is nothing! Spooky or what?

Anyway, do you think ntl has justified itself to increase prices for this year?

Unlimited Dial up is nearly the price of broadband. I wont be surprise if ntl increase its dial up prices to be higher than broadband! i think if ntl gave us the option of broadband or dial up i think most readers would pick broadband if it was available.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    It looks like I can get broadband now. I've got an engineer coming round next Tuesday to install. It looks like requesting broadband does indeed help it to become available. Let's hope it is reasonably reliable and I can retire my BT ADSL line.

Off topic, but does anyone know if you get a router / fixed IP address with the cable modem?
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, do you think ntl has justified itself to increase prices for this year?

Do you really expect anyone to say yes?

ntl has never really tried to compete with Sky on price. This idea that it's really the phone line rental that's gone up is absurd - how can something that has no value go up in price? It's basically just that the market rate for line rental is set by BT because most people have a BT line, so that's the price ntl claims it's charging, even if you don't use the phone.

It may be old news but it's still true: ntl should charge a fair price for its cable TV products and only charge you for phone line rental if you use the phone line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will tell you what there are some hardcore ntl customers that will stand by there side. regardless of the price increases and the upgrade programs.

However i would like to add that customers in some parts of Forest Hill (SE23) can now order broadband!

I think customers in the Videotron areas of London was has not been upgraded should pay the price of the Analogue system. So that when the upgrades and the products are in order, and i am not just speaking digital tv (but interactive services and broadband) then we should be able to make the prices the same as other ntl users!

Again, The Telewest team are in the areas of Forest Hill, Dulwich, Herne Hill and Streatham (i think a take over bid is going to lauched in certain areas(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its a case of40% of each area got the upgrade in the areas i have mentioned. However, Kelly communication had about 50 senior maintainance team in the wembley area alone. Jason/ntl was telling me.

Does that mean its still ongoing? Or they are only going to do 40% (other bits less financially attractive) or perhaps a capacity problem i.e. would need extra cabinets etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    samilshah wrote:
    Does that mean its still ongoing? Or they are only going to do 40% (other bits less financially attractive) or perhaps a capacity problem i.e. would need extra cabinets etc.

certainly samilshah. Extra cabinets are needed in certain parts of northwest and southeast london, due to capacity. However, its a case of some areas within Wembley will benefit from the new services while others will have to wait a few months time. I would like to add its the case of my area in Herne Hill (Dulwich). Just at the top of my road broadband and interactive services are running very good. on the otherhand, some roads even have not been upgraded while others have (mines was upgraded/overhauled in Novemeber 2004) but are awaiting a confirmed date from ntl home. And again you are right about one thing, financial side of things can holt an area for not being upgraded too.

Channel NTL

Channel ntl (Channel 9 and 119 i think) is getting another new program as we speak! featuring 3 for £30 like telewest, new speeds of broadband and video on demand, i was told.....but lets wait and see what stuff they are going to put on!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    News just arrived. Capacity expansion and broadband with interactive services are now available on the main road in Herne Hill (A215). :)

Postcode * SE24 9NE *

Next: Broadband only release in NW London is next....i will issue a full postcodes road release when it comes available.

Channel NTL Upgrades

Channel ntl (Channel 9 and 119 i think) is getting another new program as we speak! featuring 3 for £30 like telewest, new speeds of broadband and video on demand, i was told, but lets wait and see what stuff they are going to put on!!

I will be also publishing new CR release for Videotron areas when the times comes near!
  • Options
    ashishnashishn Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    i also havent seen any engineers around my area, must be part of that 60%
  • Options
    BigBadJimmyBigBadJimmy Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinda related matter: Have just cancelled my NTL phone line in order to get a BT line so that i can get broadband as it's still not available in my ex-Videotron area - NTL offered to stop charging us for the phone line but keep the tv package - I wasn't aware this was possible! Anyway, i'm getting broadband finally, so hurrah for me, but guy on the phone said NTL broadband was coming to Ealing in November - the first time they've ever given me a date or even admitted that we may get broadband at all. They're too late for this little customer, however...

Just thought you West London guys would like to know that there is still hope!
  • Options
    thetoaster3thetoaster3 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That has cheered me up seeing as I live in nearby Acton. If I've waited 2 and a bit years, a few more months wont hurt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Upgrades in SouthEast London are completed! A full postcode of Broadband release will be published soon!

SouthWest London upgrades are 80% completed!

NorthWest London upgrades are 40% completed!

West London upgrades are 15% completed

These figures was compiled by our own friend, Jason at ntl.

Middlesex figures are included in the Northwest London areas (Wembley and Harrow only)

Customers in parts (or all?) of SE15 can now order broadband!

More news to follow...........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They activated my STB modem on Tuesday and I'll ask them to cancel today (Friday). Yes, NTL broadband in our area, but routing has been consistently flaky, while I've been trying it. I could get google.co.uk and yahoo.co.uk but not their .com counterparts. I found a high proportion of the sites I normally access have been unavailable through NTL broadband, while perfectly accessible through my PIPEX ADSL, which I guess I'll keep.

It didn't help matters for me that I'd need to run a Cat 5 cable from the living room, where I've got the telly, to the cellar, where I've got my PCs, which would mean some major building work (we've had the cellar "skinned" to prevent flooding). I tried a 802.11g wireless network router by the telly, but it couldn't get through to the cellar, and the range was sufficiently poor to make me think that it was not worth bothering trying repeaters (i.e. using a Belkin wireless access point as a range extender sitting in the hall). It is possible that a Belkin Pre-N MIMO might have the range, but there isn't a Pre-N bridge in existence, which means that I'd need to use a Windows PC as a router in the cellar (there aren't Pre-N drivers for Linux). My ADSL comes in on a phone line, which is already in the cellar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinda related matter: Have just cancelled my NTL phone line in order to get a BT line so that i can get broadband as it's still not available in my ex-Videotron area - NTL offered to stop charging us for the phone line but keep the tv package - I wasn't aware this was possible! Anyway, i'm getting broadband finally, so hurrah for me, but guy on the phone said NTL broadband was coming to Ealing in November - the first time they've ever given me a date or even admitted that we may get broadband at all. They're too late for this little customer, however...

Just thought you West London guys would like to know that there is still hope!

Interesting that the guy you spoke to had a provisional date for broadband in Ealing because the person I spoke to this week was still saying there are no plans for broadband here. But November? The date somewhere further up this thread was 23rd February 2005 for my postcode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bear in mind that the dates i published by ntl was a round about.
    Delays are expected on most areas as West London is far from finish, SouthEast London, the roll out will start from Mid may 2005 followed by sucessful trials. Southwest London will be next on the agenda.

NorthWest and West will follow the same trend as the SouthEast is,
    and NorthEast London parts will be the last to be completed! Sorry!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bear in mind that the dates i published by ntl was a round about.
    Delays are expected on most areas as West London is far from finish, SouthEast London, the roll out will start from Mid may 2005 followed by sucessful trials. Southwest London will be next on the agenda.

NorthWest and West will follow the same trend as the SouthEast is,
    and NorthEast London parts will be the last to be completed! Sorry!!!!!

Wasn't having a go at you Mike. In fact you published a few dates for Ealing, some in February and some, weirdly, in December.

Which is odd, and my point was just that there are different people at ntl saying completely different things. Will broadband be here in February (no!), will it be November, will it be December - or as I was told are there "no plans"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rstaveley wrote:
    I'll ask them to cancel today (Friday)
    In the event I didn't. I've stuck with it and I am getting reliable performance now. Just got to stop the family from turning off the STB, when they're not watching TV!

To get broadband into my cellar I've had to fork out rather an expensive set up consisting of a wireless router beside the TV, a wireless range extender / access point in the hall and then another wireless range extender / access point in the cellar to connect to my mini hub. Running wires round the house would have been grounds for divorce ;)

£50 for the Belkin 54G wireless router beside the TV. £55 x 2 for the Belkin 54G range extender / access points (and I forked out an additional £40 for a laptop PCMCIA card, which isn't strictly speaking necessary). That means a one time cost of £160 for "additional installation", but.... I can now get rid of the BT line, which is going to save a lot of money, and I ran some encouraging speed tests speed tests to compare the performance.

My PIPEX 0.5M ADSL (£25 pcm - yeah I know it isn't the greatest deal) gets:

Direction - Actual Speed - True Speed (estimated)

Downstream - 432 Kbps (54.0 KB/sec) - 466 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream - 194 Kbps (24.3 KB/sec) - 209 Kbps (inc. overheads)

My NTL 1M Cable (£18 pcm) gets:

Direction - Actual Speed - True Speed (estimated)

Downstream - 948 Kbps (118.5 KB/sec) - 1023 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream - 57 Kbps (7.1 KB/sec) - 61 Kbps (inc. overheads)

For a lot less money I'm getting twice the downstream (which is nice) and a quarter of the upstream (which I can live with). It wasn't nice spending the additional £160 to get internet into the cellar, but I should recoup this with my monthly savings on line rental. I just hope this proves to be reliable.

Well.. I guess I ought to change my profile now to include NTL Home and when I'm confident enough about the set-up to exclude PIPEX ADSL.

Oddly enough I've received nothing from NTL through the post about any of this. I had to ask the engineer for my PID and password for the service and find out the DNS settings from the website (because I can't get DHCP to go through my range extenders). There was no real need for the NTL engineer's visit, because all he did was make a phone call through to base to ask them to activate the modem. The set-up was DIY thereafter.

It was funny to hear that the engineer had to listen to music on the phone for a long time before being able to get through. I guess we are all in the same boat with respect to communication, when it comes to NTL :rolleyes:

This is one more die-hard ex-Videotron customer in the Forest Hill / Peckham area hanging in there and at long last getting NTL broadband.

Incidentally, the wireless set-up was quite a head-ache, but that's another story. Belkin's supprt lines were excellent, having said that. I wish Belkin had got its Pre-N MIMO offering working with wireless bridging. A Pre-N wireless router is probably the ideal accompaniment to the STB DOCSIS modem for most punters, but I've got several PCs on a LAN, some of which aren't Windoze and therefore can't have Belkin Pre-N wireless cards; in any case it would be a waste of money having each PC using wireless access, when they can conveniently connect to the hub. I find that 802.11g can only reach about 20 ft, with thin obstructions and can't get through load-bearing walls. I'm living in an unremarkable terraced house... it must be very hard for people living in mansions ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a linksys 54g router living in a fairly large houseit gets a signal from one corner of the house to the other passing through several, thick walls, intereference from phones, microwaves etc and it works. A lot of areas in my house can't reach it yet but with 802.11n once its rolled out as a standard plus compatible range extenders i'll be sorted. The only problem is as my laptop gets hot the wireless card (mini-PCI not PCMCIA) suffers significant performance porblems ending up at 1meg while it usually starts off at the full 54meg.

Esta la vida.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some areas in SouthEast London has reported that there broadband was slowing down, and sometime takes as long as a dial up would do to open a screen page.
    I got a private message a few days ago, telling me that East London (in the Manor Park area) are still running a Analogue system and there no broadband and no telephone service?

I spoke to jason at ntl. And he said this claim was not true.
    Bell Cable Media Network was great compare to Videotron cable London network! So much work was needed to upgrade the Videotron network in order to handle broadband, while customers in Stratford, Walthamstow, Leyton and Ilford had broadband and even interactive services from the days of Cable and Wireless.

I am sure or certain that our network in South, West, NorthWest London will get better. But we can only wait!
    For how long? Who knows?

I have some postcode news for Video on Demand in the Bromley and Orpington areas of Kent shortly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    interesting yes its likely videotron is harder for them since its likely more than a last mile access problem, they problem need to upgrade areas of the network between headend and street cab as well as cab to house connections. Apparently NTL had a routing issue the other day with a link to the US down? This may have caused some problems.

One thing holding me back even once broadband is enabled in my area is that it seems NTL reliability just can't match that of ADSL. Whether its to do with NTL maintenance teams not matching BT spend level or whatever it seems on a fairly regular basis there is some issue especially on the woeful email side though hopefully this may improve with their new offering. With ADSL I had one single breakdown (which was a national breakdown) otherwise fairly perfect service. I do notice slowing down at peak times, is contention an issue on cable?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    rstaveley wrote:
    In the event I didn't. I've stuck with it and I am getting reliable performance now. Just got to stop the family from turning off the STB, when they're not watching TV!

To get broadband into my cellar I've had to fork out rather an expensive set up consisting of a wireless router beside the TV, a wireless range extender / access point in the hall and then another wireless range extender / access point in the cellar to connect to my mini hub. Running wires round the house would have been grounds for divorce ;)

I'm living in an unremarkable terraced house... it must be very hard for people living in mansions ;)

I find it quite bizarre that I live literally round the corner but I have had broadband through my stb since 2003. Over that time there have been one or too problems but nothing major. I have to say that since I changed to a standalone cable modem I have had no problems at all with the broadband. Definately worth changing over if you can to separate it from your TV service.

At present the CM is wired to my PC. I then have an ad-hoc wireless network from my PC to my wife's PC. My PC is in out back living room and the wifes is in the front bedroom. It does make a difference where the adapter is as it they are too close to the PC the signal drops. I wuse USB adapters. As far as the construction of the house is concerned, my house was almost certainly built at the same time as yours. I wonder if it has anything to with the type of mortar which was used. Apparantly allsortsa of organic material was used!! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rstaveley wrote:
    They activated my STB modem on Tuesday and I'll ask them to cancel today (Friday). Yes, NTL broadband in our area, but routing has been consistently flaky, while I've been trying it. I could get google.co.uk and yahoo.co.uk but not their .com counterparts. I found a high proportion of the sites I normally access have been unavailable through NTL broadband, while perfectly accessible through my PIPEX ADSL, which I guess I'll keep.
    That would be because google's DNS server went down the other day and no one could get to it, not even the people on PIPEX adsl.
    -Chris