Skype and sipgate

Comments

• BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah fine now, it's been problem free for ages and ages, and then two problems close together. But then they are still developing the system.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bextech - I see call1899 have now slyly slipped in charges of 1p/pm for VOIP calls. No notification of email or anything Grrrrrr. Also, calls to mobiles at weekends have slyly been upped to 3p/pm from 2p/pm.

Not a very nice move.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    axious wrote:
    Bextech - I see call1899 have now slyly slipped in charges of 1p/pm for VOIP calls. No notification of email or anything Grrrrrr. Also, calls to mobiles at weekends have slyly been upped to 3p/pm from 2p/pm.

Not a very nice move.

Yeah, I noticed too.

You can still get 2p/min calls to mobiles at the weekend but via 1899's 0808 service from a landline. I suppose all good things must come to an end.
  • steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    axious wrote:

Not a very nice move.

Just sent them an email complaining on this issue.

There is no mention on the website of any price hike, in fact it is still saying 0p for VOIP calls.

I have just spent £80 on a router from sipgate website (i have a sipgate number and home phone set up for 1899), to save money, and to use the VOIP phone instead of home phone (save the 3p connection charge), and i'm a little p**sed off, if 1899 had some sort of in fo on the site saying that VOIP was going to charge to UK home phones, i wouldn't of bothered forking out £80, whats the point of VOIP if it is going to be more expensive to use than dialling 1899 using the home BT line??? :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is crazy, though they did say they were BETA testing. They should however at least update their website, I know they would be loosing money on the free VoIP calls, but they could at least make it zero pence per minute and maybe a 1 p connection.

At the moment it's not much of a loss to me as I am still able to make completely free UK landline calls using their sister VoIP service VoIPbuster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently they are now charging 1p per minute for 0800 calls too!!!

lol they aint gonna get anywhere charging for 0800 FREE calls.

Where do these people think this up? :rolleyes:
  • TrantonTranton Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a question, rather than starting a new thread, hopefully someone can help me here.

I have set up an account with sipgate and ordered a compatible hard phone to go with it. My aim is to do away with my current BT business line and instead use the sipgate account through my BT domestic line.

If i dont answer the hard phone, is there an answerig service i can setup on the PC to take messages or can i only redirect the call to my mobile voicemail?

I've looked at the X-Lite software and it does not have the full functions i am looking for. I'm thinking about X-lite pro. Is there any other feature packed software i could use?

Cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tranton wrote:
    I have a question, rather than starting a new thread, hopefully someone can help me here.

I have set up an account with sipgate and ordered a compatible hard phone to go with it. My aim is to do away with my current BT business line and instead use the sipgate account through my BT domestic line.

If i dont answer the hard phone, is there an answerig service i can setup on the PC to take messages or can i only redirect the call to my mobile voicemail?

I've looked at the X-Lite software and it does not have the full functions i am looking for. I'm thinking about X-lite pro. Is there any other feature packed software i could use?

Cheers

Login to you sipgate account and activate the voicemail.

You can also set it to send you an email, complete with voicemail attatched ot it :D

Some FAQ's from the site.

Voicemail: How do I activate my sipgate Voicemail?

After logging in to the sipgate website with your username and password, you will see a tab marked "Voicemail". Follow the instructions to activate and configure your voicemail.

How do I programme a greeting in my voicemail?

To programme a personalised greeting:

Dial 50000

Dial 0 (for options)

Dial 1 (and record your message from your phone handset)

Press the hash key # when you are through recording.

How Can I access voicemail remotely?

You may access your voicemail remotely by dialling one of these numbers:

020 7043 7777 (London)
    0845 004 7777

What is sipgate Voicemail?

sipgate Voicemail is a free voice mail box for your sipgate phone number.

free of charge
    record your own announcements
    free e-Mail notification
    notification via SMS (optional, 9 p/SMS)
    free voicemail check possible from any sipgate account
    remote voicemail check from any telephone
    accept calls if sipgate telephone is offline or not reachable
    online voicemail list (download possible)

You can change your settings or deactivate Voicemail anytime
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Thanks axious, just what i was looking for
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Please be aware that the Sipgate Voicemail service is still in Beta Trial and can and does convert to German prompts at any time.

Zen
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Lovely!! is that German prompts for me retrieving or for the person calling me :D

"Du Hast Einen Voicemail!!!" (don't know the german for voicemail. :p
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Right, I've installed X-Lite, configured it with all my info from my sipgate account. I've followed each instruction step by step, but when i call my number from a landline i get the BT woman saying "this service cannot be connected". When i try to dial out i get the dialtone then enter a number but it does nothing.

Any help would be great
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Do you get any error messages, does X-Lite display logged in, enter phone number. ?

Are you using a USB modem or through a router?

Have you tried ringing from a non BT line, as sometimes BT 'forget' to update their system with available numbers, and you are sure you have the right number!
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Hi, i don't get any error messages, X-Lite displays as you said "logged in - enter phone number". I'm using a USB DSL modem with no router, just a straight through connection with a software firewall which is set up to allow X-Lite.
      I've tried calling it from my o2 mobile but just get three error bleeps then nothing. I don't have phones other than o2 or BT to try it on.
      I've checked the number from the sipgate e-mail and my sipgate online account details but still have the same problem
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      When you dial a number do you press enter/green phone after you have entered the number?

Sorry for what may sound like a silly question.

What happens when you dial the test number 10000 ?
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      It's ok, yeh I am hitting the green button :)
      I just get silence. It gives me the tones as i'm entering in the number then i hit the green phone button and just silence.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Have you tried exiting x-lite completely, and then restarting x-lite?
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Yup, had the same problem last night so i exited then re-connected. reset the PC as well. HAve left the PC off over night and getting the same this afternoon
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Sounds like BT has forget to add that number range to the enabled list, though it could be a problem with Sipgate and might be worth dropping them an email, as you should either get the welcome to Sipgate message on the test number, and and error has occurred message when dialling a non VoIP number without credit.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
      Forum Member
      Just a quick question about Skype. As the phone call is going through your PC, is it possible to record your conversations on the PC using, say, Cool Edit or something similar ?
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,722
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I use Voipbuster, it quite good. You only need to buy 1 euro worth of credit and you get free unlimited time to landlines in america, canada, europe or pcs worldwide. Its great. Software isn't brilliant but standard. I've called mates.

If anyone wants it its on :www.voipbuster.com
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Hi guys, my 2p's worth

I've been using Sipgate for some time now & use it for international calls. The system works ok & is cheap, but remember that it uses the Internet - which is not 100% reliable. Add to that the fact that in practise the VOIP companies are really in beta. You therefore have about 90% uptime. I would not rely on it for my main phone. While on the SIP phone, do not do any web browsing, otherwise you will get bad quality on the connection.

All ADSL users should be using a router/firewall for secure access. You can buy several brands or router, including Vigor (http://www.draytek.co.uk/) that are VOIP ready & you just simply plug a regular phone into the router. My Vigor 2600V can support 2 VOIP phones.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Skype wont let you phone land lines for free thouh does it.

Does sipgate?

VoipBuster I have. Lets you phone landlines for free as well as other users
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I've used VoIP Buster from it's launch, it's pretty good.

No Sipgate doesn't offer free calls to landlines, but it does give you for free a standard 01 or 02 number of your choice of location, no matter where you live.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      BexTech wrote:

No Sipgate doesn't offer free calls to landlines, but it does give you for free a standard 01 or 02 number of your choice of location, no matter where you live.

Wow, thats pretty kool