Options

Doctor Who Series Finale - Don't read if you don't want to know what happens!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also looks like the FIRST ever Regeneration where the Doctor is Standing up!!!

What makes you think that James?
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    There are some spoiler pics on The Suns website today showing the regeneration.

The following spoiler is a detailed description of the regen which I've paraphrased from posts by a couple of people on OG who were at the screening so....

**DON'T LOOK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW**
    The Doctor sees an arc of light flash across his hand and realises that the regen is under way - he's with Rose and he starts to make panicky jokes and tries to explain to her whats happening and even though its obvious he's in pain he tries to make it as upbeat as possible.

He talks about wanting to take her to Barcelona - "Not the city, the planet Barcelona. They've got dogs with no noses (*laughs*)". Rose starts to get a bit panic stricken and the Doctor explains regen to her and she says "Well do it then", in a sort of 'please, anything, just make it ok' kind of way and he says "I'm doing it!". He then says something like: "You never know, I might have two heads – I might have no head! Imagine me, with no head (*laughs*)!!"

Then, possibly the best line of the series: "Rose, you've been fantastic. And you know what? So have I!". :D

There's then a bit where Rose goes towards him and he shouts "Stay back" which is followed by the regeneration. And then DT says. "Hello. Mm, new teeth. Now where were we? Oh yes - Barcelona!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i cant wait for the final episode, ive had to give in and see some spoilers and i cant wait
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote:
    There are some spoiler pics on The Suns website today showing the regeneration.

The following spoiler is a detailed description of the regen which I've paraphrased from posts by a couple of people on OG who were at the screening so....

**DON'T LOOK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW**
    The sees an arc of light flash across his hand and realises that the regen is under way - he's with Rose and he starts to make panicky jokes and tries to explain to her whats happening and even though its obvious he's in pain he tries to make it as upbeat as possible.

He talks about wanting to take her to Barcelona - "Not the city, the planet Barcelona. They've got dogs with no noses (*laughs*)". Rose starts to get a bit panic stricken and the Doctor explains regen to her and she says "Well do it then", in a sort of 'please, anything, just make it ok' kind of way and he says "I'm doing it!". He then says something like: "You never know, I might have two heads – I might have no head! Imagine me, with no head (*laughs*)!!"

Then, possibly the best line of the series: "Rose, you've been fantastic. And you know what? So have I!". :D

There's then a bit where Rose goes towards him and he shouts "Stay back" which is followed by the regeneration. And then DT says. "Hello. Mm, new teeth. Now where were we? Oh yes - Barcelona!"

Wow! It's weird in that I am sad that it is the last episode we will have with Ecclescake, yet excited that David Tennant is taking over.
  • Options
    Jamesessex69Jamesessex69 Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    then, possibly the best line of the series: "Rose, you've been fantastic. And you know what? So have I!".

Sums up the whole series for me.

Especially CE & BP.

They really have been fantastic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Haha. Indeed Eccles has been fantastic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum is dreading Eccleson leaving. She probably fancies him but he has been fantastic and I can't really imagine the Doctor being David Tennant now.
  • Options
    soleussoleus Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I ve always reacted to a new Doctor exactly how the Brigadier does: "What do you mean you're the Doctor? Ah, yes I see it now! Oh, well, here we go again" Each one definitive in their own way :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    how do you write spoilers ? into a thread ?

Don't bother - the thread is entitled "Don't read if you don't want to know what happens" therefore it is obvious to everyone who clicks the thread that it will contain spoilers.

There is no need to hide any of this:

The Emperor Dalek has evolved from the one which Rose saved
    Rose is "Bad Wolf"
    The Doctor regenerates after kissing Rose to save her etc etc

You only need to post in spoiler tags if you post a spoiler in a thread which does not warn the reader.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got to say that from a plotting point of view I'm very disappointed.

I was expecting to be "blown away" which RTD said we would be.

Sounds like the usual storyline fare we've had with other episodes, where everything is resolved with any old stuff thrown in.

And as far as the main idea goes, despite RTD saying that nobody has "got it",...we "got it", or at least the jist of it weeks ago.
    I was expecting more to be honest.

At least from what people say, the action should be good.

But in regards to a climax to which all the clues in the plot were leading, I can't pretend that I'm not disappointed, because I am.

You can throw out all the clues and discussions and ideas, because all we needed to do was make a guess at the end of
    Episode 6 - Dalek
    ...which many people did anyway... and that's it.

Throw in any old sci-fi ideas about special rays that do magical things, that there was no way of working out in any shape or form,.....and all these discussion threads trying to work out the final plot have been an absolute waste of time.

I guess it will be good in many ways, but I was looking forward to a "blow us away" kind of ending to the story.
    The plotting sounds weak, and bears hardly any relation to the clues left in earlier episodes.

Sounds like a standard ending to how several episodes have ended this series, if you can't think of an original, imaginative resolution to a story,..just resort to the old lazy, quick fix ending of
    an explosion that saves the day
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, i think your wrong, many people were predicting, on these forums anyway, either adam or davros turning up and being either the baddy or bad wolf.Most people thought it would be adam showing up, not the last dalek(which apparently isnt tackled with directly anyway) the way its been written and shown to the press has not been predicted by a lot of people. i wish tho that after all the secrecy the series has been under, the ep shown to the press ISNT the ep shown on sat!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craggers wrote:
    no, i think your wrong, many people were predicting, on these forums anyway, either adam or davros turning up and being either the baddy or bad wolf.Most people thought it would be adam showing up, not the last dalek(which apparently isnt tackled with directly anyway) the way its been written and shown to the press has not been predicted by a lot of people. i wish tho that after all the secrecy the series has been under, the ep shown to the press ISNT the ep shown on sat!

Check the thread for Episode 6 - Dalek.

I said myself that I reckon the new Dalek race would be spawned from humans,..and loads of us reckoned the lone Dalek didn't die, but teleported away to escape to create a new Dalek race.
    It's just that we thought it wouldn't be as basic and straightforward than that, thinking that RTD wouldn't have been as simplistic and straightforward as that. So things like Adam helping the Dalek were ideas that were possible thoughts added on.
    I think Den Watts even said that the lone Dalek wouldn't have just escaped to evolve a race of Daleks, it would be the Emperor Dalek too.
    And all those ideas came out after the transmission of the Dalek episode.

Turns out that we needn't have bothered continuing looking for clues after Episode 6.
    We got the main resolution of the plot there and then.
    Despite RTD claiming that nobody "got it".

So no, I'm not wrong.
    Several here can back me up on this.

All this stuff about Delta waves, and vortex's, or whatever, sound just like convenient things thrown in that have nothing to do with the plot build up over the weeks.

Despite the revelation of the plot being a huge disappointment, I am still looking forward to the episode, as I think that at least it will deliver on the action, tension and drama. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    Turns out that we needn't have bothered continuing looking for clues after Episode 6.
    Except that the reviews of the parting of the ways I've read assert that the Dalek in episode 6 has nothing to do with it. It seems like Dr who fans are still putting their own spin on the plot when in reality it says nothing of the sort. The relationship between 'Dalek' and 'parting' of the ways is foreshadowing (if one Dalek can survive so can others) and nothing more. Foreshadowing is a much more subtle and enjoyable technique, and one that several fans did pick up on: But you couldn't call it simplistic plotting.
    So no, I'm not wrong.
    If the reviews are correct I'm afraid you are wrong. But then you will see for yourself in a few hours.

- Chris
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Just seen this new DS page :D

LOTS OF SPOILER PICS FOR POTWs
  • Options
    xxsammiexx2003xxsammiexx2003 Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do you know what?. I am really upset now :(. was hoping it would have been mickey or Adam!!. But I'm still looking forward to it, but a bit dissapointed because I gave in to temptation and took a peek at the spoilers :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    craggers wrote:
    ...many people were predicting, on these forums anyway, either adam or davros turning up and being either the baddy or bad wolf....
    I certainly wasn't - in fact I've posted many times on how Adam could come back in series two possibly as the creator of the cybermen. Maybe he won't necessarily, but there's certainly potential for some more mileage out of him as a 'semi-recurring' baddie.

And as regards Davros - I've said this many times too: Brilliant for Genesis, but it should have started and ended there, instead of dragging him out at every opportunity and making the Daleks themselves take a back-seat role. He took away their teeth, and the worst thing that could happen would be to bring him back yet again, IMO.

As for these weekly discussion threads being a waste of time, I don't look at it in that way. I've had great fun discussing the episodes with everybody - heck, you all seem almost like family to me now.

And that is fantastic!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    DenWatts wrote:
    I certainly wasn't - in fact I've posted
    And as regards Davros - I've said this many times too: Brilliant for Genesis, but it should have started and ended there, instead of dragging him out at every opportunity and making the Daleks themselves take a back-seat role. He took away their teeth, and the worst thing that could happen would be to bring him back yet again, IMO.

What I think was missed with Davros was some sort of redemption for him. Instead of turning into a stereotype and therefore encouraging an audience that thinks in stereotypes there should have been a chance to explore his motivations.

- why is he the way he is? Is it to do with his disability? the cause of his disability? The way he was treated because of it? Is he a trauma victim of war perhaps?

there are so many opportunities for redemption - though perhaps not now given the post Genesis history unless we can go back to Davros' time-line directly after Genesis, or sometime before.

I always thought that Genesis should have ended with the doctor refusing to destroy the daleks at their creation but choosing to go back earlier and prevent Davros become the man he needed to be to create them in the first place. It need not even mean the end of the Daleks if plotted properly.

- Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except that the reviews of the parting of the ways I've read assert that the Dalek in episode 6 has nothing to do with it. It seems like Dr who fans are still putting their own spin on the plot when in reality it says nothing of the sort. The relationship between 'Dalek' and 'parting' of the ways is foreshadowing (if one Dalek can survive so can others) and nothing more. Foreshadowing is a much more subtle and enjoyable technique, and one that several fans did pick up on: But you couldn't call it simplistic plotting.

If the reviews are correct I'm afraid you are wrong. But then you will see for yourself in a few hours.

- Chris

Well I have read one or two synposis's which are similar.
    If this isn't the Dalek from Epsiode 6 then it's even weaker than I thought:D
    A Dalek just turned up from the time war did it?
    Great :rolleyes:

Dr Who fans????
    Yes, it seems like as soon as somebody is critical of Doctor Who, it's always these fans of the old series who are trying to compare...blah blah:D

I still stand by the fact that I think the plotting has been pretty simplistic and straightforward.
    We pretty much knew that Daleks appear in the last episode before the series even started.
    Now we hear that they just sort of turned up because one escaped from the time war.....sorry, but that sounds a bit crap to me, I was expecting something a bit more imaginative.

But like I say, I'm still looking forward to the episode.
    Just that I think the story arc really has been an anti-climax.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DenWatts wrote:
    I certainly wasn't - in fact I've posted many times on how Adam could come back in series two possibly as the creator of the cybermen. Maybe he won't necessarily, but there's certainly potential for some more mileage out of him as a 'semi-recurring' baddie.

As for these weekly discussion threads being a waste of time, I don't look at it in that way. I've had great fun discussing the episodes with everybody - heck, you all seem almost like family to me now.

And that is fantastic!

No, I certainly wasn't predicting Adam to be the Bad Wolf either.
    I was thinking his involvement if any would be to do with Daleks if anything, and Bad Wolf would be something different.
    And you know that I too was leaning more towards him originating the Cybermen in series 2.

You know what I mean by "a waste of time" though don't you?
    Of course it's been fun to speculate, but I just agree with xxsammiexx2003, that there's just a sense of unfulfillment where you'd hope all loose ends fall into place, and you see the pieces of a puzzle fall into place. And you get that "Oh yeah, of course" kind of feeling.

I fully expect to enjoy the episode as a stand-alone epsiode, but as for the plotting of the story arc building up to it, I just feel let down.
    I expected a lot more in that respect.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I certainly wasn't predicting Adam to be the Bad Wolf either.
    I was thinking his involvement if any would be to do with Daleks if anything, and Bad Wolf would be something different.
    And you know that I too was leaning more towards him originating the Cybermen in series 2.

You know what I mean by "a waste of time" though don't you?
    Of course it's been fun to speculate, but I just agree with xxsammiexx2003, that there's just a sense of unfulfillment where you'd hope all loose ends fall into place, and you see the pieces of a puzzle fall into place. And you get that "Oh yeah, of course" kind of feeling.

I fully expect to enjoy the episode as a stand-alone epsiode, but as for the plotting of the story arc building up to it, I just feel let down.
    I expected a lot more in that respect.

:)

I know what you mean. I was hoping the pay off in terms of the Bad Wolf scenario to be a lot more intricate and thought provoking than seeing the pieces of the jigsaw neatly and rather conveniently slap dashed into place. I guess my expectations were greater but it will not lessen my enjoyment of the episode as a whole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    It might be an idea to wait until the episode has been shown before forming any opinions of it. I've stopped visiting another forum completely because to many people were having their opinions of episodes influenced by others and too many people had made up their minds about episodes before they were shown.

It's better to watch with an open mind, IMO.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really hoping for the big bad guy to be revealed as the Master. Somehow.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got to say that from a plotting point of view I'm very disappointed.

I was expecting to be "blown away" which RTD said we would be.

And as far as the main idea goes, despite RTD saying that nobody has "got it",...we "got it", or at least the jist of it weeks ago.
    I was expecting more to be honest.

I sympathise a little, Alrightmate, but if you spend inordinate amounts of time speculating about the various possible endings, then you substantially increase the risk of ending up disappointed, I'm afraid.

I reckon the vast majority of viewers will be absolutely thrilled.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    *Eileen* wrote:
    Just seen this new DS page :D

LOTS OF SPOILER PICS FOR POTWs

I like the side on shot of the emperor dalek - how big/cool does that look :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stuart62 wrote:
    It might be an idea to wait until the episode has been shown before forming any opinions of it. I've stopped visiting another forum completely because to many people were having their opinions of episodes influenced by others and too many people had made up their minds about episodes before they were shown.

It's better to watch with an open mind, IMO.

It might be an idea for you to just let people post their opinion without being condescending.

I am posting my opionion on the apparent synopsis, and I have made it very clear that I haven't made my mind up about the actual epsiode and said in my posts that I am thoroughly looking forward to the episode.

I'll post what I want.