✭✭✭✭✭
    Antz wrote:
    Lol, the person who wrote the article must be in trouble.:p

We can only hope :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About ****ing time. I hope archive.org or google managed to cache it.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacksprat wrote:
    About ****ing time. I hope archive.org or google managed to cache it.

I have the full text in an email i sent to Helen Boaden and Byford.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the full text in an email i sent to Helen Boaden and Byford.

Still seems to be working for me! :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    chrisdafur wrote:
    Still seems to be working for me! :confused:

Try hitting "Refresh" and it will probably go. You're probably looking at a cached version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nope - seems to be back :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuart62 wrote:
    Try hitting "Refresh" and it will probably go. You're probably looking at a cached version.

Already done that, and I've also tried using a different browser that I never viewed it in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Yes it back. So the bbc dont listen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is back.

That takes the P*ss
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    dizzy wrote:
    Yes it back. So the bbc dont listen.

Or it listens to me when I emailed them and told them that while I don't give a monkeys about the DOG one way or the other, I found the article quite funny.

Phazer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry - I just had an email from the Media Guardian saying:

"Thanks

we are taking up the case"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But it has been re-written and reference to terrorism and geeks has been cut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cifpower wrote:

When I email senior BBC Staff I expect a reply. When they don't reply I'll comaplin elsewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't tailor the article to remove the biased reference against peoples 'posh plasma screens' though.

Typical clueless BBC muppets. I contacted my brother at the Independent, and he said he might be interested in following this up as a story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    And now as some crap at the bottom

Countering these complaints, however, research published in the Radio Times (10th-16th February 2001) suggested that 81% of viewers find on-screen logos useful. Not everyone agrees with this reseach though.

a bit out of date me thinks.
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    dizzy wrote:

Countering these complaints, however, research published in the Radio Times (10th-16th February 2001) suggested that 81% of viewers find on-screen logos useful. Not everyone agrees with this reseach though.

Its a mis-print

81% of viewers find on-screen logos NOT useful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's actually bloody cheeky not to respond to people's complaints directly but to edit an article and pass it off as the original.

Just so anyone arriving here from the bastardised version knows what was originally said
    FULL TEXT OF ARTICLE:

BBC Three News
    Monday 8th August

Monday on BBC Three News.

Beware of the DOG
    In a world where international terrorism, indiscriminate murder and global poverty are facts of life, you might think people would have more important things to worry about than little logos in the top corner of their television screen.

Alas, no.

Those little graphics displaying the names of all your favourite digital channels – BBC Three, MTV, Bid-Up TV, UK Living – technically known as Digital Originated Graphics (DOGs) are the cause of much consternation among certain viewers.

Just don’t call them geeks who should get a life…

These people, and there are hundreds, say DOGs vandalise their TV screens, defacing pictures, detracting from programmes, and even causing “burn” damage to their posh plasma screens.

On Friday, BBC Three’s DOG was relaunched, bigger and bolder than ever, much to the annoyance of some viewers. As one person put it: “Oh wow, that is truly awful Bright white, 100% opaque and HUGE!!”

In response, you may notice if you watch tonight that the logo is less opaque, so don’t say the BBC doesn’t listen.

Of course, if you still don’t like it, you can always complain.

For their part, broadcasters say the DOG is a vital method of channel identification in this multi-channel world, and an integral part of their branding strategy.

The argument goes that because there are now so many channels, viewers need all the help they can get navigating around their TV and identifying the channels they feel at home with. This is especially true for people new to digital TV and possibly bewildered and confused by the amount of choice there is.

And because everyone else is doing it, channel controllers say their hands are tied. They also point to research which suggests DOGs only upset a very small minority of viewers.

The theory is that the longer DOGs remain the more they will become accepted as part of the TV landscape – something the anti-DOG brigade reject.

BBC Three's new DOG
    DOG’s detractors say the on-screen logos have turned digital TV into “an unholy mess slowly withering behind an increasing confusion of corporate branding and pointless messages”.

They could put up with them if there was a simple button you could press to turn them on and off – indeed this is one of their key demands.

Even worse, they say, are the “red button” prompts. On BBC channels these generally lead to free and popular “interactive” services, such as Glastonbury Multiscreen, but on commercial channels pressing the red button may lead to premium content, at a price.

Logofree TV say: “We believe in choice, in the right to clean television pictures of the highest quality. We want virtual DOGs and interactive content 'opt-outs', so all viewers can control what comes into their front room.”

Even on the launch night of BBC Three in February 2003, one viewer complained:

"Get rid of the annoying dog up the corner and you may get some viewers, it's worked for Channel 5 that now looks like a proper TV station. In the mean time, I'll give it a miss."

Much to the delight of the logo-free lobby, Channel 5, now re-branded as Five, has dropped its DOG. A sign, perhaps, of the new channel beginning to “mature” and a beacon of hope for the campaigners.

If you agree that DOGs are a serious issue, there’s even an online petition you can sign. 7,587 people already have.

Perhaps though, on reflection, you might conclude that there are more important things to get cross about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Research conducted in 2001 eh? That would be when the channel was known as BBC Choice, and had a much much smaller logo.

They've also updated the complaints website with the standard cut and paste reply they've sent to everyone else regarding the new DOG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adam01 wrote:
    Research conducted in 2001 eh? That would be when the channel was known as BBC Choice, and had a much much smaller logo.

And people were still getting used to so many channels and the broadcasting world was just totally different. Ruddy cheats!
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,208
    Forum Member
    Here's a PDF of the BBC DOG article before its "bastardisation".

Do not view this article in your browser using the PDF plugin. Right click and download it to your computer, and then open it.
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    cifpower wrote:

That's a shame.

A victory for the censors.

Phazer
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dizzy wrote:

Also, what does "useful" mean? What was asked of the peopel who took part, and what were the options to answer? If the question was "would you prefer it if they were there or not" then the results would be different. These sort of things can be very selevctive in what they ask, and biased towards how they want people to answer. We covered this topic in General Studies and this sort of "forced answer" happens often.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reply to a email i sent to bbc
    "
    Dear Mr Budden

Thank you for your e-mail.

We are sorry to viewers who found the new BBC Three identifier distracting. Viewers' feedback is important to us so we have taken on board the concerns and will be reducing its intrusiveness immediately.

We use identifiers in common with other broadcasters because, as the number of digital channels continues to grow, we believe it is important to ensure that viewers can quickly identify when they are watching a BBC service.

The channel identifier is at the top left-hand part of the picture to avoid clashing with subtitles or captions, and this area of the screen rarely contains sensitive material which it might obscure or interfere.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact the BBC.

Regards

Gary Sullivan
    BBC Information
    "