Options

PVR-9200t Wish List

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Lets have a go at this then...

EPG
  • Improve the speed of the Freeview EPG population in the program guide.
  • Save EPG data to disk or have an option to set a lookup and save of the EPG data at say 5am every night.
  • More channels to be viewable at once in the EPG (at least 5) or have a zoom out/in function.
  • Show the day as well as date in the EPG.
  • Order searches in guide by time or have the choice to.
  • Ability to record a program by name whenever it appears in the EPG.
  • Make the PIP+/- buttons change the channel in the small window.
  • Following the above, be able to select a program in the EPG to record even if it has already started (saving you to having to go back out, press instant record, then go back into the EPG).

Recording
  • Ability to watch a program that is still being recorded.
  • Make lock also prevent a recoding being deleted.
  • Option to turn off message on screen about the machine starting to record a program scheduled. Message if switched to on should contain channel and program name as well as the time frame shown.

Scheduling
  • Increase timers to maximum amount it is possible to safely take. 200 would be a good start.
  • Auto-padding user setting.
  • Ability to manually edit the start and end times with the use of the left and right arrows to increment in 1 minute steps.
  • Change so that the auto-inserted “name” is not removed automatically when editing the time or other variable of a recording scheduled.

Now and Next
  • Ability to check N&N info for other channels without changing the channel currently on.

Picture in Picture
  • Ability to use picture PIP during recording playback.
  • Ability to use PIP when recording two channels.

Recorded programs
  • Ability to manually mark for deletion programs already watched if space will run out for scheduled recordings just prior to scheduled recording start.
  • Ability to search at 32x speed.
  • Ability to delete from the play list menu (i.e. highlight entry in list and “press red to delete” or other method).
  • When editing the name of a recording; the ability to use left or right arrow to move to the point that needs deleting/over writing; rather than everything being deleted from the end point of the recording name to the point that needs changing.
  • Ability to make folders and organise recordings into them.

Live Buffer chase play
  • Ability to chase play radio as well as TV.
  • Ability to buffer 2 channels/both tuners.
  • Do not cancel the buffer when switching between another channel, looking at the EPG, going into the menu or checking a recorded program.

MP3
  • Allow MP3 playback to route through the digital optical out also.
  • Allow more space for MP3s

Archiving
  • The VCR scart only to feed sound and pictures without on screen messages being flagged up – i.e. archive broadcast only.
  • Flag which programs in the play list to send through the VCR scart, in an order you want, for archiving purposes.

Radio
  • Option to have a screen saver to protect from screen burn on some TVs

Software
  • Software suit to include tool for viewing transferred recording and transferring to DVD.
  • Software to automatically insert file extension of transferred mpeg2file to PC for operating system to recognise type of file.

USB
  • Employ the maximum speed USB 2 standard.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Excellent idea!

Can I add my two pennyworth -

Ethernet connection (Does not need drivers and would thus be of particular use for Mac users who have no file transfer software)

and/or

FireWire connection, for much faster file transfers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Just checked my last message - looks like someone forgot to re-set the list server's clock last week: its an hour out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reflex wrote:
    Excellent idea!

Can I add my two pennyworth -

Ethernet connection (Does not need drivers and would thus be of particular use for Mac users who have no file transfer software)

and/or

FireWire connection, for much faster file transfers.

Reflex,
    that would be nice. Plus have some webserver on it, like network printers type thing, so that i can set up a recording from anywhere like at work, holiday etc!

Unfortunately ethernet would need to be a hardware change on the 9200t PVR so wont happen. The above list was basically about wish list items that may conceivably be enhanced on the current PVR via software. If they could do some of the above to the 9200t it would be one mean PVR!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    As noted previously, some folks aren't interested in MP3 space so rather than "Allow more space for MP3s" maybe "Allow space for MP3s to be user settable" ?

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Option to turn off message on screen about the machine starting to record a program scheduled.

This "feature" also has a bit of bug thrown in. If you're watching a DVD (or whatever) via the VCR scart, the 9200 mutes the audio for 1/2 a second as it starts a recording. I suspect it's as it tries to put up that message it's doing something wrong with audio pass-through. Video is OK.

And your list doesn't mention the remote control bug. (After doing channel +/- or vol +/- almost any other signal from an unrelated remote will cause that last common to be repeated many times, very quickly.) This bug is *deeply* annoying but I fear that many people won't have bothered to report it.

Ian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gadgetmind wrote:
    This "feature" also has a bit of bug thrown in. If you're watching a DVD (or whatever) via the VCR scart, the 9200 mutes the audio for 1/2 a second as it starts a recording. I suspect it's as it tries to put up that message it's doing something wrong with audio pass-through. Video is OK.

And your list doesn't mention the remote control bug. (After doing channel +/- or vol +/- almost any other signal from an unrelated remote will cause that last common to be repeated many times, very quickly.) This bug is *deeply* annoying but I fear that many people won't have bothered to report it.

Ian

Ian, think of the 1st post ast the first draft. I must confess that I have never heard of "the remote control bug", but its not to say that the first list on this thread is will never evolve over many months and many many posts with additional requirements customers are requesting. There is a bugs thread as well as this wish list by the way so maybe I have missed something there - my apologies.

Re the remote control bug, is this something that has been discussed in another thread - can you point me in the right direction? How to I replicate the bug or is it specific to your other remote control? Does swapping remote controls need to be within a certain amount of seconds to be able to replicate the fault?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJL wrote:
    As noted previously, some folks aren't interested in MP3 space so rather than "Allow more space for MP3s" maybe "Allow space for MP3s to be user settable" ?

Cliff

Yes I agree. I should have got that into the first post to tell you the truth so i dont know why I missed it.

EDIT: what would happen if I schdule a load or recordings and then later on I could increase the MP3 space to 20Gb? There should be some sort of calculation performed by the box and a message saying there is not enough disk space to perform scheduled recording of xyz, are you sure you want to increase MP3 space? or something like that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Marc,

I think the MP3 space thing is something that could only be offered to the user during the first initialisation of the box (before it formats the HDD). I don't think it's something that could be changed dynamically as the drive is actually partitioned with two different files systems. There's a sort of DOS'y FAT kind of area (aka D1) where "files" are stored and this has small allocation units (512/1024/2048/4096/8192 maybe?) and then there's an A/V filesystem (aka D2) where streams are stored and this has huge 64K/128K allocation units.

So the split can only be done when the drive is being paritioned and that can only be done just after a format. So to change it would involve the user in electing to reformat the drive and lose all existing recordings, JPEGs and MP3 files.

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gadgetmind wrote:

I have never experianced that or even seen it mentioned before, I've heard some people say they have other remotes that are in conflict with the Humax but only in a "my TV remote volumel change brings up them 9200 menu" sort of way.
  • Options
    youngbazyoungbaz Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Marc

An excellent selection of wishes - ie most of them are nearly up into the 'you must fix this' category rather than idle aspirations. My only difference with you is that most of your items under the 'Recorded Programmes' headings would be lower priority.

One point ...

You can work around any concerns re screen burn whilst listening to radio. I now have my audio leads straight out from the 9200 into my audio system (they previously were plugged into the TV). Thus I can listen to digital radio ex the Humax and leave the TV turned off altogether - or, as I've previously posted, let SWMBO watch soaps in analogue whilst I listen to the radio from the Humax with headphones.

Barry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    youngbaz wrote:
    Marc

An excellent selection of wishes - ie most of them are nearly up into the 'you must fix this' category rather than idle aspirations. My only difference with you is that most of your items under the 'Recorded Programmes' headings would be lower priority.

One point ...

You can work around any concerns re screen burn whilst listening to radio. I now have my audio leads straight out from the 9200 into my audio system (they previously were plugged into the TV). Thus I can listen to digital radio ex the Humax and leave the TV turned off altogether - or, as I've previously posted, let SWMBO watch soaps in analogue whilst I listen to the radio from the Humax with headphones.

Barry

@ Baz yeah I agree about there being lower priority items in wish list. Plus hopefully this will complement the already up and running bugs thread and Brians excellent FAQ/workaround thread.

On a general note, OK we can kind of expect differing views about what should make a priority and what should be a low priority as I have seen people argue the toss over the correct default size of the MP3 partition, so I kind of shy'd away from ordering them in that way. So I just bunged a load in under convienient groups to get things off the ground.

Having said that, I'm going to start a new thread for people to put their top 5 wish lists. Not to include bug fixes as this should be a given in terms of focus nd priority for Humax engineers. Just a simple post by people simply stating their top 5 wish list items in no priority without necessarily neededing to justify them if poss. That way, Humax, when they look at this thread they can quickly see what the people want firt and foremost, as well as the rest of the ideas raised in this thread.
  • Options
    youngbazyoungbaz Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    @ Baz yeah I agree about there being lower priority items in wish list. Plus hopefully this will complement the already up and running bugs thread and Brians excellent FAQ/workaround thread.

On a general note, OK we can kind of expect differing views about what should make a priority and what should be a low priority as I have seen people argue the toss over the correct default size of the MP3 partition, so I kind of shy'd away from ordering them in that way. So I just bunged a load in under convienient groups to get things off the ground.

Having said that, I'm going to start a new thread for people to put their top 5 wish lists. Not to include bug fixes as this should be a given in terms of focus nd priority for Humax engineers. Just a simple post by people simply stating their top 5 wish list items in no priority without necessarily neededing to justify them if poss. That way, Humax, when they look at this thread they can quickly see what the people want firt and foremost, as well as the rest of the ideas raised in this thread.

Excellent idea (nothing new there then! :D ).

The main reason for my reply was not to chide you or try to downgrade what you'd included, but rather to underline the concordance between your views and mine.

Barry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    youngbaz wrote:
    Excellent idea (nothing new there then! :D ).

The main reason for my reply was not to chide you or try to downgrade what you'd included, but rather to underline the concordance between your views and mine.

Barry

Baz - absolutley. I read your post in the spirit is was meant. Cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Brilliant list, can I just add these:

Recorded programs - When watching digital TV, as a shortcut, make the OK button bring up the play list.

Radio - Screen saver. I suggest you change this to:
    Screen Saver - A screen saver starts after 5 minutes of listening to the radio or MP3s.

Rather than have the PIP buttons change the picture in the EPG, just remove it so that you can see more channels and have the seach toolbar permanently there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mart! wrote:
    Brilliant list, can I just add these:

Recorded programs - When watching digital TV, as a shortcut, make the OK button bring up the play list.

Radio - Screen saver. I suggest you change this to:
    Screen Saver - A screen saver starts after 5 minutes of listening to the radio or MP3s.

Rather than have the PIP buttons change the picture in the EPG, just remove it so that you can see more channels and have the seach toolbar permanently there?

mart there is a one button shortcut on the remote !
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With regards to the radio screen saver, you could just turn the brightness down on your TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    Lets have a go at this then...
    The ability to fast forward on Saturday morning to the lottery results on Saturday night :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from the top 5 wish list thread by bernard brookes post 38:
    After weeks of satisfied use, my improvements are

1) Increase timers 100+ and/or introduce "passport" recordings
    a) Passport - where I can set it to record say "eastenders" and it would every occurrence of eastenders on the EPG, continually until I stop it.
    I do think passport recordings are important and cannot understand why more PVR's don't incorporate it.
    Repeats can then be deleted manually.

b) Recording frequency - if they Humax cannot do passport recording then we need options to record Daily, Weekday, Weekend, Weekly

2) Recording padding
    a) allow automated or manual prior & post programme padding.
    b) retain the programme name or give the option of assigning a name from the EPG.

3) Upgrade EPG
    a) make it more user friendly. It's very clunky navigating because you have to use too many keys
    b) it's difficult shifting day+ or day- unless by the time bar.
    c) As everyone has said it needs more than 4 channels displayed.
    d) Display day of the week, eg Mon, Tues etc + date

4) Recorded list (3rd button under cover) - this is very good, but you should be able to manage the recordings in the same way as the same functions under the menu button, eg. delete, edit, play etc

5) Slow EPG population - I know this isn't the fault of the Humax and I know they are addressing it.
    However if everyone has set the software update option for overnight (eg. menu, then software update) then it could populate the EPG at this time and save it to the hard drive or eeprom.

6) Buffers - with twin tuners it should be able to retain the buffers on the initial channel, before we start channel surfing. So it needs better management of the twin buffers and this would mean it wouldn't loose all buffers when a recording started.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    Radio
    • Option to have a screen saver to protect from screen burn on some TVs

At least for BBC channels (haven't tried this for other channels) you can press red to get more information about the channel you are listening to, and then press zero. This gives you a screen that is blank except for some dim grey text that moves about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    1. EPG show recorded programs when they have been padded. Perhaps also a partial recording indication (so you).
    2. The ability to stich two records together (i.e. a film split my the news).
    3. Progams mark automatically mark as watched.
    4. The ability to order EPG program searches by day rather than by channel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    Ian, think of the 1st post ast the first draft. I must confess that I have never heard of "the remote control bug", but its not to say that the first list on this thread is will never evolve over many months and many many posts with additional requirements customers are requesting. There is a bugs thread as well as this wish list by the way so maybe I have missed something there - my apologies.

Re the remote control bug, is this something that has been discussed in another thread - can you point me in the right direction? How to I replicate the bug or is it specific to your other remote control? Does swapping remote controls need to be within a certain amount of seconds to be able to replicate the fault?

Maybe gadgetmind has a Toshiba TV? See http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=328480 for remote control interference thread on AV Forums.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever noticed that if you have a recording schedual for a series and the series finishes, then the timer recording takes on the name of the new programme. The first time I saw this I got confused as I had not set a timer for that programme.

This is a wishlist item: that the new recorded programme has a flag in its title indicating that it is not the one timed in the recording schedual.

This would help in other situations too, for example when a programme overruns, etc. And I think it would help reduce confusion, especially if the number of schedual timers is increased from 20 (to wishlist 200!)...

A second wishlist item is to include Error Checking in the eLinker software. If the USB transfer rate is increased to standard USB2 speed then error checking will have to be incorporated as I can see the speed will cause more error than less...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    :mad:
    Just have to have a rant! this is the worst thing I have ever purchased!!!!!!

1. Fails to record at least 12 times, no conflict, no reason.**
    a. Records the wrong length for programs by anything over an hour.
    b. Misses start of programs.
    c. Misses ends of progs.
    2. EPG will NEVER EVER populate all channels.**
    3. EPG is not always seven days long
    4. If chain entered EPG will not remove expired chain, seems to block future recordings.
    5. Wrongly flags programs as no chain.
    6. Playback locks up, speeds up, jumps, and breaks up.
    7. Commercial skip wrecks sound and vision synch**
    8. Locks up no response to remote, power switch last resort.
    a. Locks up while recording, clock stops.
    9. Favourites sometimes revert to TV
    10. All favourites lost
    11. All Schedule lost
    12. Gets aspect ratio wrong**
    13. Scart overrides all others even when tv powered up.**

Software updated

14. Ends of recording skip and break up
    15. Records program with wrong description.
    a. Records program with wrong description and does not stop recording
    16. Records same program twice.
    17. Wrong start time, length and info.
    18. Records program that had already been recorded eighteen hours previously for the second time.

** Still present with sw update

It says queens award for industry on the box, I didnt realise it actually meant just the cardboard box!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WilliSage wrote: »
    15. Records program with wrong description.
    a. Records program with wrong description and does not stop recording
    16. Records same program twice.
    17. Wrong start time, length and info.
    18. Records program that had already been recorded eighteen hours previously for the second time.
    Some of those symptoms suggest the file system is corrupt. Try formatting the disk and see if things work better.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Do you record off of the Five channels? As thats usually the main culprit of multiple recordings of the same episode.