Options

Baroness Thatcher In Hospital

Comments

• Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    cifpower wrote:
    Are you honestly holding up Vietnam as a beacon of democratic communism?

It was communist, and it won a war of liberation against the US, whose values Mrs T supports. That is success.

As for democracy, which you didn't mention in your earlier post, look at China, where capitalism, something Mrs T advocated strongly, shows that it can put profit before principles.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eusebius wrote:
    1939? Britain/France vs. Nazi Germany.
    Was Nazi Germany democratic?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,893
    Forum Member
    shez wrote:
    Please explain the blatent disrespect for a former leader of our country, whether you liked her or not.

Pardon? Where's this 'respect' coming from? Just because she was a leader of 'our' country? So even if / when 'we' get it wrong 'we' should still show respect? Why exactly?

And, incidentally, does this apply to all democratically elected leaders of other countries too or is the UK 'special'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote:
    It was communist, and it won a war of liberation against the US, whose values Mrs T supports. That is success.

As for democracy, which you didn't mention in your earlier post, look at China, where capitalism, something Mrs T advocated strongly, shows that it can put profit before principles.
    China is democratic? :confused:
  • Options
    T--JT--J Posts: 19,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rugbynut wrote:
    Yes but they are begging for pens because U.S companys tell the pen manifacture. If you supply pens to Cuba we will not buy your pens anymore.
    Don't you think they can get pens from elsewhere? ;)

Have you been to Cuba? Have you seen the poverty for yourself? The shacks that people live in? What I saw with my own eyes was not success. Fidel Castro lives in a huge, palacial mansion but many of the real people live in poverty.
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stumblebum wrote:
    She was arguably the most influential leader both home and abroad that this country has ever had

Henry the 8th or Cromwell
  • Options
    rugbynutrugbynut Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Mrs T also supported Aparthied In South Africa and refered to Nelson Mandella as a terrorist.

Fidel Castro sent 30,000 Cuban troops to Africa to fight against the Aparthied government troops and defeated them opening up the end of Aparthied rule!
  • Options
    hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EvilMeMeMe wrote:
    Pardon? Where's this 'respect' coming from? Just because she was a leader of 'our' country? So even if / when 'we' get it wrong 'we' should still show respect? Why exactly?

And, incidentally, does this apply to all democratically elected leaders of other countries too or is the UK 'special'?

Quite. Perhaps the Germans should respect Hitler because he was a leader of their country. I respect those people who earn it; not just because they are in a position of authority. I would also suggest that people who do respect others simply because they have power and authority are perhaps fans of a dictatorship regime???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rugbynut wrote:
    Mrs T also supported Aparthied In South Africa and refered to Nelson Mandella as a terrorist.

Fidel Castro sent 30,000 Cuban troops to Africa to fight against the Aparthied government troops and defeated them opening up the end of Aparthied rule!
    Under the Terrorism Bill this government has introduced, he could well be referred to as a terrorist today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T--J wrote:
    :eek: I've just come back from Cuba and it's full of poverty that most people don't see the likes of - kids begging. That's not what I would call successful.

i've been to a few democratic capitalist countries that are just like that too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    T--J wrote:
    Don't you think they can get pens from elsewhere? ;) Have you been to Cuba? Have you seen the poverty for yourself? The shacks that people live in? What I saw with my own eyes was not success.

I have been to cuba Many times and the poverty is not as a result of the Cuban government.
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hopwoodl wrote:
    Quite. Perhaps the Germans should respect Hitler because he was a leader of their country. I respect those people who earn it; not just because they are in a position of authority. I would also suggest that people who do respect others simply because they have power and authority are perhaps fans of a dictatorship regime???
    Very well put.
    Respect must be earnt, not just given!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cifpower wrote:
    China is democratic? :confused:

No, it's a country whose Communist Party does some horrible things in the name of the State, but one which capitalism is cosying up to because profits count for more than principles, which include democracy.

"Judge not, that ye may not be judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considereth not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, 'Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?' Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."

--- Matthew 7:1-5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oblivian wrote:
    Very well put.
    Respect must be earnt, not just given!!
    Did the people not give it to Thatcher 3 times over?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote:
    <snip>
    See, that's the bible. And I don't believe the bible so I don't respond to it or people who use it. Sorry. :)
  • Options
    hopwoodlhopwoodl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cifpower wrote:
    See, that's the bible. And I don't believe the bible so I don't respond to it or people who use it. Sorry. :)

I am agnostic and don't believe a lot of the bible either, but to say that you won't actually respond to someone because they do believe in it is outrageous in my view.

Are you suggesting that you only speak to people who share your own beliefs??? That sounds a bit opinionated and arrogant to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    cifpower wrote:

The Bible might actually be appropriote here, as both theorcratic and communistic governments have their roots buried within fantasy.
  • Options
    T--JT--J Posts: 19,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trash80 wrote:
    i've been to a few democratic capitalist countries that are just like that too
    88p for 6 Free-Range Eggs at Asda.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cifpower wrote:

I'm an atheist, but I'm not dogmatic, and I'm open to seeing the other guy's point of view. Of course, like Mrs T, some people find comfort in a black and white, good versus bad world, but I've outgrown the kindergarten.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote:
    No, it's a country whose Communist Party does some horrible things in the name of the State, but one which capitalism is cosying up to because profits count for more than principles, which include democracy.

which includes all previous "communist" countrys the Soviat Republic was not Communist!!! it was state capitalism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hopwoodl wrote:
    I am agnostic and don't believe a lot of the bible either, but to say that you won't actually respond to someone because they do believe in it is outrageous in my view.

Are you suggesting that you only speak to people who share your own beliefs??? That sounds a bit opinionated and arrogant to me.
    Oh no. Just when it comes to the bible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rugbynut wrote:
    which includes all previous "communist" countrys the Soviat Republic was not Communist!!! it was state capitalism.

Ooh! SWP! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shez wrote:
    Please explain the blatent disrespect for a former leader of our country, whether you liked her or not.
    Hitler led Germany, are you suggesting I respect him also?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T--J wrote:
    88p for 6 Free-Range Eggs at Asda.

heh, no abroad though you can get enough beggers here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cifpower wrote:
    Oh no. Just when it comes to the bible.

Bodes ill for democracy, given the number of Christians in the UK, doesn't it?