Options

Using the Humax PVR-9200T with a PC.

Comments

• Options
    Frank1Frank1 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    I just found another problem(s) with Media eLinker:
    Yesterday, I recorded "Little Britain: The South Bank show" and today, tried to transfer it using eLinker.
    The file would not transfer because ":" is an illegal character in a file name.
    The re-naming function in eLinker just did not work but fortunately, I could rename it using the 9200 edit function before it was transfered.

Software such as eLinker should surely check for and cope with illegal characters in programme file names.

Frank
  • Options
    brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frank1 wrote:

Software such as eLinker should surely check for and cope with illegal characters in programme file names.

Frank

The file name is probably being rejected by Windows before Elinker gets a look at it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I have renamed using Elinker - just use the refresh button after renaming, it will show up in the list renamed then.

On to my question - has anyone managed to get a radio program converted to mp3 and how. I have a number of radio shows i want to put on to cd to listen to in the car
  • Options
    Forum Member
    djdavep wrote:
    I have renamed using Elinker - just use the refresh button after renaming, it will show up in the list renamed then.

On to my question - has anyone managed to get a radio program converted to mp3 and how. I have a number of radio shows i want to put on to cd to listen to in the car

OK will have another go but I'm sure I did a refresh.

Aparently, Winamp will convert mp2 files to wav which you can then burn to CD.
    Other possibilities are here: http://www.e-soft.co.uk/

Frank
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Sorry but where do the mp2 files come in or is that the format that the Humax records in
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    So,I thought I'd dive in and have a go at this file transferring malarky...

I bought a 5m usb cable from Maplin and transferred an episode of 'Mad About You' to my PC. Took about an hour I reckon...

anyway, went to play it....
    On PowerDVD it played but with no sound and the picture mega pixellated and with large green areas of nothingness, like a DivX playing with the wrong codec.
    Windows Media Player 8 played the sound but with no picture.
    Winamp just crashed.
    Nerovision Express wouldn't accept the file, neither would TMPGenc or virtualdub.
    So I read this forum and tried some other ideas.

I transferred the file to my IBook. Quicktime couldn't play the file, but VLC played it just fine!
    So I downloaded Media Player Classic onto my XP machine and it too played the file just fine!
    Finally, I downloaded VideoRedo and this fixes the file perfectly. After saving it in Video Redo, it plays nicely with all my software!
    Now, if only there was a freeview program that could work the same magic as VideoRedo!

Thanks for your help everyone

StC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Thought I'd introduce a positive message!

Last night transferred 10 recordings from 9200T to my laptop using eLinker 2.1 (thanks for the link; also found the CD I'd got was 1.0 only - that's both setup files). 3m Belkin Pro Series USB cable.

Transferred each file twice so I could check for errors.

Ran them through the 'merge' utility this morning to be pleasantly surprised.... only the last 2 recordings contained any errors, and the merge utility fixed them.

Downloaded and installed the HDTV Pump Filter, added ".ts" extension to files, and they play just fine in WMP10.

Now just to demux and edit out adverts with VideoRedo and burn to DVD.

Fairly pleased so far, given the horror stories on here. (Only real improvement I'd like is for Humax to improve elinker to avoid any transfer errors occuring at all. Well transfer was a bit slow, but I can cope with that.... just leave overnight)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a 3m cheapo USB cable from eBay just recently after borrowing a 2m one from my external USB drive. However, when I plug the 3m one in, while Windows recognises that I've plugged the Humax in, eLinker doesn't like it at all - it tries connecting and changing the current drive, but fails. If I plug the decent 2m one in, it all works. If I use the 3m one on my external USB drive, that works fine!

Anyone else seen eLinker being fussy with the cable you use? The cable obviously isn't defective, as it works with my external drive, but eLinker doesn't like it for some reason!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    adam.mt wrote:

Last night transferred 10 recordings from 9200T to my laptop using eLinker 2.1 (thanks for the link; also found the CD I'd got was 1.0 only - that's both setup files). 3m Belkin Pro Series USB cable.

Ran them through the 'merge' utility this morning to be pleasantly surprised.... only the last 2 recordings contained any errors, and the merge utility fixed them.

Just to let you know that you can check a single transferred file with 'merge'. You will only need a second copy if the first one contains errors.

Also if you do have to transfer twice, use the second file as the first parameter to merge. Then if that one is OK "the job's a good 'un" without merging.

I've transferred quite a few films over the holiday and the majority transferred error free. Just try not to do anything else on the Humax or the PC and stop your screen-saver.

Steve
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Our new 9200T (shipped with the latest firmware already installed) is great but after 5 or 6 attempts I still can't get elinker 2.1 to upload a 3 hour 4.7GB file to my laptop.
    I've tried the suggestions in Q0047 (nothing else active on the humax at the same time).
    The transfer will run for quite a whle (sometimes an hour or more) before giving up with a dropped connection.

I could try a more expensive USB2 cable or lugging the Humax into a different room and hooking it up to a faster PC, but if it's using a standard IDE hard drive, could I take out the drive and mount it in a spare bay in my desktop?

File transfer would be a lot faster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    adrianw wrote:
    I could try a more expensive USB2 cable or lugging the Humax into a different room and hooking it up to a faster PC, but if it's using a standard IDE hard drive, could I take out the drive and mount it in a spare bay in my desktop?

File transfer would be a lot faster.
    Unfortunately, it's not a question of using a "standard IDE drive" but more a question of the Humax using a proprietory O/S. Therefore, you would need to understand how the data was stored and to write a program to be able to read the File Allocation Table of the hard drive, i.e. the pointer to the start/end position of the file and extract the data. Now if Humax would release the source code of e-Linker it might be possible for some able person to adapt this to directly access the hard drive if installed in a PC, but it's not going to happen.

Personally, I seem to be one of the lucky ones who seem to have no problems transferring data, although it is best to use a small USB lead. I use the one that came with my NTL cable modem, knew it would be usefull oneday!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Our new 9200T (shipped with the latest firmware already installed) is great but after 5 or 6 attempts I still can't get elinker 2.1 to upload a 3 hour 4.7GB file to my laptop.

If your laptop runs Win ME or 98, don't forget the 4GB file size limit. You might have to do a rough edit on the Humax to reduce to file size.

Regards

Bryan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimmyRaa wrote:
    I bought a 3m cheapo USB cable from eBay just recently after borrowing a 2m one from my external USB drive. However, when I plug the 3m one in, while Windows recognises that I've plugged the Humax in, eLinker doesn't like it at all - it tries connecting and changing the current drive, but fails. If I plug the decent 2m one in, it all works. If I use the 3m one on my external USB drive, that works fine!

Anyone else seen eLinker being fussy with the cable you use? The cable obviously isn't defective, as it works with my external drive, but eLinker doesn't like it for some reason!
    Right. After spending out on another cable - a proper Belkin Pro one, it still doesn't work. But I may have a theory; I think it may be because I am using a laptop, and laptops are known to often not meet the USB power output that desktops can. For example, a USB powered hard drive I have works on a desktop, but needs the external power supply to work on my laptop.

So I'm thinking that the power output on the laptop isn't enough to stretch that extra distance along the cable - 2m works fine, but 3m and above doesn't. All I need to do now is lug my desktop next to the Hummy, and try it out. If that works, I know it's a restriction with the laptop.

Anyone else had 3m or above USB cable working with eLinker and a laptop?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi there I have only recently aquired a Humax 9200t and I am mostly very pleased witjh it but I am having trouble dounloading MP3's on to it. the Media E-linker tells me that the operation was successful but no MP3's appear on the MP3 section of the recorded list. I would greatly appreciate any assistance from you more experienced users and hope that you can help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming you've copied them into the MP3 directory that should already be there, go to the MENU, and the RECORD section, and down to the MP3 section.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BryanG2001 wrote:

If your laptop runs Win ME or 98, don't forget the 4GB file size limit. You might have to do a rough edit on the Humax to reduce to file size.

Regards

Bryan

It's running XP Pro
  • Options
    Forum Member
    adam.mt wrote:

Downloaded and installed the HDTV Pump Filter, added ".ts" extension to files, and they play just fine in WMP10.

Now just to demux and edit out adverts with VideoRedo and burn to DVD.

Fairly pleased so far, given the horror stories on here. (Only real improvement I'd like is for Humax to improve elinker to avoid any transfer errors occuring at all. Well transfer was a bit slow, but I can cope with that.... just leave overnight)

This is interesting. I have been recording various programs on my 9200T but there are 3 files that when I transfer them to my PC I can not play with WMP10, Nero Show Time, etc., even though they are watchable on the 9200T itself. Apart from these 3 files, all the other files I have transferred and renamed to *.mpg play fine with WMP10 and Nero Show time (some of these are bigger than the 3 offenders and some are smaller so size doesn't seem to be the issue).
    I have a handy utility called "GSpot Codec Appliance" which can spot the video and audio codecs needed to decode a file and it reckons that these 3 files are not a valid format. Is it possible that I need this HDTV Pump Filter? If so, why do I only need it for these 3 files and not all the others?

Hope this makes sense and apologies if this is the wrong place for this question (I am a newbie in this forum).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    CJL wrote:
    Hi,

Just to note that I just updated (from V1.2 to V1.4) Steve's Correction utility.

For the un-initiated, this is a program that tries to fix corrupted transfers that contain the USBS string.

Cliff

Although I've had my 9200 since oct, I've only jut started thinking about transferring files to the PC so only just reading this thread - is it me or has this merge/correction utility disappeared?

Regards

David
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    larsj wrote:
    This is interesting. I have been recording various programs on my 9200T but there are 3 files that when I transfer them to my PC I can not play with WMP10, Nero Show Time, etc., even though they are watchable on the 9200T itself. Apart from these 3 files, all the other files I have transferred and renamed to *.mpg play fine with WMP10 and Nero Show time (some of these are bigger than the 3 offenders and some are smaller so size doesn't seem to be the issue).
    I have a handy utility called "GSpot Codec Appliance" which can spot the video and audio codecs needed to decode a file and it reckons that these 3 files are not a valid format. Is it possible that I need this HDTV Pump Filter? If so, why do I only need it for these 3 files and not all the others?

Hope this makes sense and apologies if this is the wrong place for this question (I am a newbie in this forum).

This happen to me when I transfered 'Gone with the Wind'

I use VideoReDo plus, in one the menus it has a function called 'Quick Stream Fix' after running this, Gone with the Wind was OK, you could try it and see what happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    risky3301 wrote:
    This happen to me when I transfered 'Gone with the Wind'

I use VideoReDo plus, in one the menus it has a function called 'Quick Stream Fix' after running this, Gone with the Wind was OK, you could try it and see what happens.

If you run Windoze, I would strongly suggest that you get hold of:

Media Player Classic - Free and will play just about anything.
    (Bin the MS offering with similar name)

Video Redo Plus - Not free but very easy to use. Brilliant for removing adverts and trimming start/end of recordings.
    Its quick stream fix also seems to work although it doesn't actually tell you what (if anything) it has actually fixed! Will convert the files from transport stream (raw from the Humax) to proper Mpeg program stream format.

TSReader Lite - Free. Good for checking on the number of errors that are in a particular recorded file. Needs a bit of tech know-how to interpret however.

Frank
  • Options
    Roy22Roy22 Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Here is a free and fast converter for turning the Humax's Transport Stream format into the Program Stream wanted by most media players and DVD authoring software, which I don't think anyones posted here before. It's HDTVtoMPEG2 and you can download it here:

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~balazer/HDTVtoMPEG2/HDTVtoMPEG2_1.11.83.zip

A mere 0.5Mb download, it converts a 1 hour program from TS to PS format in a couple of minutes, as well as having some other functions I haven't messed with yet.

Just 'Add' your chosen file (I added the '.ts' extension first), select the Output File Type as 'Mpeg2' and tick the 'Channel' box it offers you, then select 'Process'.

A couple of minutes later you have a nice PS format file which Windows Media Player likes, and which you can edit and burn to DVD as you wish with Nero 7, and no doubt many other packages too.

Hope this is a useful alternative to the various non-free options mentioned here so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice suggestion Roy! I personally would still use VideoReDo though, as I need it to remove adverts and the start and end credits and stuff. If you don't need that though, your program would be perfect!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    TimmyRaa wrote:
    Nice suggestion Roy! I personally would still use VideoReDo though, as I need it to remove adverts and the start and end credits and stuff. If you don't need that though, your program would be perfect!
    But you can edit the file and remove whatever bits you don't want. It is an excellent small 'footprint' program, you just need to experiment to find how usefull it is and furthermore it's free! The only problem is, sometimes it's not good at error correction and you may end up with a file where the audio is out of synchronisation with the video. In those circumstances I find ProjectX to be ideal, though it needs more perseverance as it's not so "user-friendly".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Frank1 wrote:
    If you run Windoze, I would strongly suggest that you get hold of:

Media Player Classic - Free and will play just about anything.
    (Bin the MS offering with similar name)

Video Redo Plus - Not free but very easy to use. Brilliant for removing adverts and trimming start/end of recordings.
    Its quick stream fix also seems to work although it doesn't actually tell you what (if anything) it has actually fixed! Will convert the files from transport stream (raw from the Humax) to proper Mpeg program stream format.

TSReader Lite - Free. Good for checking on the number of errors that are in a particular recorded file. Needs a bit of tech know-how to interpret however.

Frank

Manythanks to Risky3301 & Frank1 you were both right, a) Media Player Classic does indeed play the file and b) after a stream fix in VideoReDo so does WMP10 and GSpot can recognise the file and its codecs.
    Does anyone know why this only happens to some files and not others on the 9200T?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Roy22 wrote:
    Here is a free and fast converter for turning the Humax's Transport Stream format into the Program Stream wanted by most media players and DVD authoring software, which I don't think anyones posted here before. It's HDTVtoMPEG2 and you can download it here:

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~balazer/HDTVtoMPEG2/HDTVtoMPEG2_1.11.83.zip

A mere 0.5Mb download, it converts a 1 hour program from TS to PS format in a couple of minutes, as well as having some other functions I haven't messed with yet.

Just 'Add' your chosen file (I added the '.ts' extension first), select the Output File Type as 'Mpeg2' and tick the 'Channel' box it offers you, then select 'Process'.

A couple of minutes later you have a nice PS format file which Windows Media Player likes, and which you can edit and burn to DVD as you wish with Nero 7, and no doubt many other packages too.

Hope this is a useful alternative to the various non-free options mentioned here so far.

I'll give this a try as soon as I can on one of the other two files that I have yet to "fix" and report back.