Options

Windows Live Messenger Invite

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give you one what? PM me your email I have a invite if that will do you:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Many Thanks , received and loaded

What are the main difference over version 7.5 ?

The look and feel
    - Different Style
    - New contact list - Hover over (not sure I like)

Features
    - Contact Search - Search their name, or notes you have enteres
    - New PC-Phone calling (or atleast different I think?)
    - Messenger Sharing folders
    - You can now send messages even when the contact is offline (saves it until they are back on)

+ many more i'm sure...
    Nothing Major Major though.

What I do like is via the Activities there is a "Music Mix" where you can share a playlist with friends (you stream the music to them). It works the same way 3Degrees did and is completely legal. Thats available on WLM and soon MSN messenger also.
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Many Thanks , received and loaded

What are the main difference over version 7.5 ?

Shared folders and offline messaging are both very neat features. Also you can edit contacts personal details combined with a search function.

2 left
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Can i get an invite plz. my email addy is super_waffle@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul Bland wrote:
    - You can now send messages even when the contact is offline (saves it until they are back on)
    I've found one thing with off line messaging, if you send one to some who has blocked you, it says the service is unavailable, so its effectively a block checker :mad: :D

Ooh and I found a way to run MSN 7.5 and WML on the same PC if anyone needs too.
    Before you install WML go to Program Files and change the name of the MSN Messenger folder( I changed it to messenger 7.5) then install WML

PS you have to make a shortcut for 7.5
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Anyone feeling generous enough to give me an invite?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used all my invites up, but I will put them on here if I get more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    if anyone wants an invite pm me with their email addy
  • Options
    beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have msn 8, but how do you get the invites, where are they?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get emailed them some folk have reported it taking anything from 3hrs to 24hrs and who knows how many you'll get if any!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I have 2 invites. PM me if you'd like one.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Zounds was kind enough to send me an invite so I loaded the new version , logged in andworked fine.

It deleted the old version 7.5

Tonight my sons came to log in and I assume because his email addy was not invited couldnt access the new version.

Sparra was kind enough to send an invite and he can now log in.

So multi users on the same computer take care when you download the new version you may end up blocking family members if they have not had an invite
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Wish they tell you this before hand!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    any more going , addys in profile
    thanks
  • Options
    BBTIMEBBTIME Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes don't forget if you have more then 1 user on your PC, then MSN 8 won't work for them. There is a post further up that shows you how to keep the old messenger still on your PC. I've tried it and it does work - just remember you have to shut 8 down completely to use it. You won't be able to run both 8 and 7.5 at the same time.

I still have some invites left if anyone wants one.

Also, those of you with the new version will find you get 5 invites of your own to use within 24 hours of installing. This will help shared PC users. :D

one last things - some of the features won't work with people who don't have 8 installed. If you try to send offline messages to people, they won't recieve them unless they too have MSN 8 etc. It's not a way of block checking!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    standchrisuk has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
    Yes, I have got 1 left, if you still want it - PM me with your addy.
  • Options
    Alex_kingsleyAlex_kingsley Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Are there many annoying bugs in this BETA? i.e. Ones that you notice ALL the time?
    If not, i'll keep a look out for invites!
  • Options
    MisanthropeMisanthrope Posts: 5,531
    Forum Member
    Not many I've noticed, PM me your email address if you want an invite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there many annoying bugs in this BETA? i.e. Ones that you notice ALL the time?
    If not, i'll keep a look out for invites!

I (or the people i've invited) have had no problems at all.

There's one thing that's been bugging me tho'
    I sent a few files to someone who isn't using Messenger Live the other night, she doesn't want to use it yet either.

I've got shared folders on, so each time I sent a file it offered me the choice of using shared folders, or sending directly, as she's on 7.5 obviously I had to send directly.

Thing is, the files still go into the shared folder, so unless those of us who are using 8 at the moment clear the files from shared folders after sending, then surely when they get around to using 8, the whole shared folder will sync up when they create shared folders themselves?

I know the easy thing to do is empty the shared folders for people who aren't upgraded yet, but i'm sure a lot of people won't, and end up with lot's of files contacts already have synching from the shared folders.

Does that make sense or am I talking shit?

Another thing I noticed, when sending .exe files, it would only send them for me if I chose to install microsofts antivirus for Messenger. Will it allow .exe's to be sent using other virus protection? Haven't had a chance to test it yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    hi anyone with an invite please pm me thanks :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hi anyone with an invite please pm me thanks :cool:

Got one left if you still need it.

standchrisuk - I suggest if you PM someone asking for an invite, that you allow return private messages :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    yes please :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they being so conscious over this when MSN 7 Beta had no invite system neither did Live Mail which has large tangible benefits over hotmail. Anyone think they are creating Google style scarcity for publicity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone think they are creating Google style scarcity for publicity?

The words 'nail' and 'head' come to mind.

If it's good enough for hundreds of thousands of invites, why not good enough for an official release?

Does anyone think we'd be swapping 'invites' if Gmail didn't exist?

They're also covering their backs, shared folders is quite a major change, and if it turns out to be a huge security issue, rather than getting bad press and rushing out a patch, they can say 'Well it was only a Beta!'.
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    the invite fairy has paid a visit 8 up for grabs and you have a 1 in 10 chance of getting an invite. Doesn't t that sound fun :D

http://www.windowsliveinvite.be/getinvite.php?name=AndyB