Options

2nd Sky Tv Box Still 1 dish

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
Forum Member
I am going to buy a 2 way f splitter so i can get 2 f plug outputs from 1 dish 1 going to my main sky box no probs but i want to ask if anyone has done this if the remaining output f plug i get one of these f plug & coaxial cable i can connect it to my tv card and get sky with just 1 decoder?

Comments

• Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way to get two feeds off the dish is to use either a dual or quad LNB and run two feeds from the LNB. As far as I know you cannot split one feed into two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sorry i am a newbee whats a LNB and also there is an adpater called a 2-4 way f splitter u can buy from maplin that u can have 2-4 outputs from 1 feed check the link below

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9273&TabID=1&source=12&doy=26m1

so i am just wondering u can also buy a cable which 1 end is a f plug and other end is coaxial tv ariel and i have a tv card on my pc if it would work although i would have to watch the same sky channel as the original feed

Thanks.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Digi Man wrote:
    As far as I know you cannot split one feed into two.
    You're right or Sky+ wouldn't need two seperate feeds from a quad LNB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzimScot wrote:
    Your link clearly states that the product is NOT suitable for satellite feeds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    AzimScot wrote:

Are you aware that Maplin have this statement below the product:
    "Please note that this splitter is not suitable for satellite feeds"

Edit: I'm a slow typer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    onehabit wrote:
    Are you aware that Maplin have this statement below the product:
    "Please note that this splitter is not suitable for satellite feeds"
    He is, if he reads my post which is directly above yours!!!!!:p
  • Options
    StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AzimScot wrote:
    I am going to buy a 2 way f splitter so i can get 2 f plug outputs from 1 dish 1 going to my main sky box no probs but i want to ask if anyone has done this if the remaining output f plug i get one of these f plug & coaxial cable i can connect it to my tv card and get sky with just 1 decoder?

The digibox sends a signal to the LNB (the tuning part of the dish) which (I'm simplifying) switches the LNB to look at different frequencies. So you can't use a single LNB to multiple boxes, since the LNB can only respond to one box at a time.

But you can easily get quad-LNBs, which are effectively 4 LNBs in one device, each with a separate cable connection (so can be connected to separate boxes). (Sky+ needs 2 connections, since the digibox effectively has 2 tuners).

That way, you can do what you are trying to, but the connections have got to go back to the dish.
  • Options
    StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your link clearly states that the product is NOT suitable for satellite feeds.

Not entirely true. The box sends a signal to the LNB to switch between H and V polarisation. The LNB can only "look" at one or the other at any time. So, while you COULD split a single LNB output to two digiboxes, the "slave" box would be restricted to seeing channels on the same polarisation as the master has selected. So you'd get bizarre effects, with channels apparently not there, on the slave, depending which channel had been selected on the master. However, armed with the full transponder listing, you'd know what channels were "visible" together.

Altogether not worth the hassle tho...better to go for a multi-LNB.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also sends a signal to set a Universal LNB, erm, its the local oscillator frequency I think?, which sets it to see high or low bands

You only get 1/4 of the available spectrum at once. And thats why Quattro LNB's have 4 ports, not 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Building on what Strathclyde and KianD have already said, the box sends a 'signal' to the dish to set the LNB to correspond to the settings required for the channel to be watched. There are in effect four different settings; different channels need one of these four.

The satellite splitter you have seen allows the signal from ONLY ONE box to reach the LNB and thus sets the LNB according th that box (aka the 'master). The other box (aka 'slave') can still receive some channels, but ONLY those for which the setting of the LNB would be the same as that set by the master.

So to use the splitter:
    1. The master box must be on for the slave box to work (as the master provides the signal and power to the LNB);
    2. The channels being recieved by the two boxes must both require the SAME setting for the LNB.

Note that changing channel on the slave box may result in a blank screen (or error message) if the selected channel needs different settings, and similarly, changing channels on the master may cause the slave box to lose the current channel if the master has caused the settings to be changed.

To be able to view all channels on both boxes without any restriction would (as has been stated) require a separate output on the LNB to be connected, but for a quick fix - particularly if you only want to use one or other of the boxes at a time (eg. living Room and Bedroom) then this splitter would be okay. JUST MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT UP THE LEADS TO THE CORRECT TERMINALS ON THE SPLITTER, otherwise you may run the risk of damaging the receivers.

If you are interested in the technical aspects, look up Horizontal and Vertical Polarisation and High Band and Low Band ( and 22kHz switching).

Hope this helps.

Stu.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks guys for all the advice i just got an 2 way sat splitter and it works although still to buy a digibox 2nd one also do i need another sky viewing card for my second box? because i have a split connecter?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gah, it only "works" because you only have one box! Its going to be next to useless when you fit a second box
  • Options
    Steve PearceSteve Pearce Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might work with one box but when you try it with two it won't be so good. The "slave" box will only be able to recieve channels on the same polarity and band as the "master" box....did you read this and understand what this means?

And If you want to view subscription channels you will need a card in both.