Options

Sky New - Overdoing it with the sky active banner?

Comments

• Options
    Meekz13Meekz13 Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just sent them an e-mail of complaint as well so if everybody does this then hopefully they will scrap the idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    I've just sent them a nice little email expressing my disgust as well!
  • Options
    BeancounterBeancounter Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also sent an email.
  • Options
    AndyGrayUkAndyGrayUk Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    i never watch sky news, the banners annoying aswell. I watch BBC News 24 because you can get The red button on the News channel and there dont keep hinting on! All they have is a PRESS RED in the corner, and every now and then theyll say Press red for more on this story...
    But the good side is... us freeviewers can!
  • Options
    FusionLadFusionLad Posts: 1,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    e-mail already sent yesterday.

Worst think Sky News has ever done I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    yep extremely annoying - SKY News - please please pack it in. I am now longer watching your channel (and probably countless others aren't either) because on this annoying active banner. Remove it immediately please.

Jersey_Boy
  • Options
    Ant LAnt L Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sent an e-mail earlier on aswell to feedback@sky.com as I figured everyone would e-mail news@sky.com.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Sky must be under pressure to show that iTV works, not just internally but also to the advertisers. They have spent loads on this (anyone remember OPEN...) and then with the redesign. Only time will tell if this works or just puts people off watching Sky News.
  • Options
    JDnmJDnm Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've got the banner on again. If its still there tomorrow, im going to send an uncompromising "Get that fcuking banner of the fcuking screen"-themed email.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am quite concerned about the subliminal undue promotion of a premium price product such as Sky-.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I'm glad someone started this thread!

I thought initially that Sky just had it on for the report on Gary Glitter then forgot to turn it off, because I figured Sky wouldn't expect viewers to be so stupid that they still hadn't figured out what Active had to offer after six years.

It's annoying - Sky did well in reducing screen clutter when they had the revamp. This addition is just pointless.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be a trend these days with filling the screen up with useless rubbish. The most recent revamped Sky News is crap. People wandering around, distracting flashed backgrounds, "Sun"- type banners headlines.

When I watch news I want to just see the newsreader(s) without the unnecessary distractions like a lit up fairground.

I used to like Sky News, but I now watch it less and less.

"Tabloid" TV at its very worst, this kind of over-the-top presentation might be more suited to American screens :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    FraserGJFraserGJ Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres a nice "Press Red for Oscars News" with a red 'Active' banner above it.

They keep turning it on and off because its covering peoples faces at the Oscars :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After watching Sky News on Sky Digital from 2001 and on Freeview from 2002, I have given up now on Sky News, I'm switching over to BBC News 24, although the BBC may not be the fastest on Breaking News, I just can't stand the banners being on screen all the time, they're so distracting! There are times on (a 16:9) screen where you're reminded to press red for active three times! Especially annoying to anyone who doesn't have Sky Digital...

...or is this another tactic to get people to switch over to Sky Digital? (which seems pointless putting it on the worldwide feeds of Sky News, including the European feed on Astra at 19.2°E).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have Freeview and it doesn't bother me. So what if you can't get active. Still the best news channel around in my opinion.
  • Options
    MandyManilowMandyManilow Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Broadcasters feel they have a free reign to do anything they want without any consideration for the viewer. That's why they clutter the screen with rubbish,it's to show that they are the boss and you mean nothing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Rem0te wrote:
    Sky must be under pressure to show that iTV works, not just internally but also to the advertisers. They have spent loads on this (anyone remember OPEN...) and then with the redesign. Only time will tell if this works or just puts people off watching Sky News.
    Yep, New Media Age (media marketing trade magazine) has recently had a few articles about iTV not doing very well; and Channel 4 group withdrawing from using it at all anymore, not even for Big Brother, and prefering the web instead.

IIRC same appears to be a true for a number of advertisers who have cancelled or curtailed iTV campaigns.

BSkyB are under pressure to show that it 'works', hence over use of red button on Sky News etc.

StooMonster
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote:
    There seems to be a trend these days with filling the screen up with useless rubbish. The most recent revamped Sky News is crap. People wandering around, distracting flashed backgrounds, "Sun"- type banners headlines.
    Sky One have started showing banners on shows like 24 and BSG too, so that when one fast forwards the adverts with Sky+ the adverts are placed over the actual programme itself (albeit at the bottom of the screen).

Personally I think that it's an outrageous practice and should be complained about.

StooMonster
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looks awful, they'll alienate their audience. Whilst I don't object to promoting Active please use conventional methods, like ad breaks or the ticker, bt this is beyond a joke.

As said it's so insensitive - a story about an 11-year old being raped and the caption on the screen is Press Red for Oscars News with a pic of a Sky remote. This won't help them be taken seriously.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think many of us realise that much of what a channel does is not directly in the interests of the viewers;
    ie, with Sky News ...

1) they may claim to break a particular story a couple of minutes before a rival.
    Who realistically cares? Only the management of sky news and rivals. Creates a selling point to hopefully appeal to advertisers.

2) they may fill the screen with text, boxes and graphic furniture.
    To what aim ? To maintain the impression that something interesting is always happening. Again, all for the purpose of maintaining an image to sell to advertisers.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I emailed a complaint, got this back:

our message

To: Sky.Today
    Subject: On-screen banner
    Sent: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:22:46 -0000

did not reach the following recipient(s):

Sky.Today on Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:24:06 -0000
    The message could not be delivered because the recipient's mailbox
    is
    full.

OSTEXCH03.bskyb.com 5.2.2

There's maybe been a lot of complaints?
  • Options
    FusionLadFusionLad Posts: 1,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who said we were worried? Just annoyed. If a topic doesn't interest you, don't post!
  • Options
    GarethHarrisonGarethHarrison Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Media Guardian...
    Seeing red

Monkey can't help but feel that the poignancy of Sky's coverage today of Ronnie Barker's memorial service from Westminster Abbey might be enhanced a little if there wasn't an enormous headline underneath telling viewers: "Press Red for Glitter verdict in full." Just for once, can't we think about one story at a time, please?
  • Options
    LaggyLaggy Posts: 3,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have e-mailed them with a link to this thread.. (not that they probably haven't already seen and read it)

Like people have already said they are probably doing it to make more people use the service so they can say "Look how popular it is..." and increase sales of their iTV service to other broadcasters, and to increase the voting on their poll's. Really all it does is confuses and annoys people.

Infact has anyone noticed how the poll vote is the first thing that pops up when you enter, its quite annoying as if you press back up to remove it, it exits the application.

I actually did see today a coffee bar that I pass on the way to university, which usually shows Sky news on its TV was showing News 24 today, perhaps totally unrelated, but interesting to say the least!
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    I been watching SkyNews for years now, since the switchover to the new format its been pants ! I find myself watching it less and less. I used to watch it like a few hours a day now i cant stand it much longer then 5-10mins max.

With this bl00dy banner at the bottom its now literally less then a minute a day, soon as the banner is up im outa there. I just watch CNN more then SkyNews now, well done Sky, least you have decided to pass on best news channel of the year award :)