Options

Wanna be 1st to see Sky HD?

Just found this artical in T3.

Unfortunatley there is no hope of me making it to Birmingham but for those in the area it would definitley be worth checking out. There is also a link to get free tickets:

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/entertainment/hard_disk_recorder/watch_sky_hd_today

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I'd rather see it in my own living room.
    Good one Sky....keep on fuelling that hype.
    How about some delivery eh? Or is that the only box?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tee hee. The article mentions that the details of the box are under wraps - then says it is 160GB!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    That probably is the only box! As from what I've heard its the box that's causing all the delays. No point releasing something that doesn't work. Don't know if they've solved the problems yet.
  • Options
    gargleroadsidegargleroadside Posts: 4,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a big HDTV in the front of Dixons XL in the Bull Ring in Birmingham.

'24' in high definition that the article in the link talks about as being a 'must see in HD' is available in a.b.hdtv :)
  • Options
    bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone take a camera with them please!
    H
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    i've got a friend with a stand at the show.
    he says there's no live Sky HD broadcast , which is disappointing. sorry don't know any more
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Well i saw lots of adverts for Sky HD on it and a box in a plastic case but i've no idea what the source was.

The quality varied, the national geographic stuff looked fantastic but the sports stuff wasn't quite as good (although still much better than SD obviously).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well after some diging around I have been able to establish that the box was a dummy and the playout of the demo tape was off a professions HDCam tape.

So not much of demo and even less representative than playback from a PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It doesn't feel that this is a service that is just about to be launched does it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    bluespirit wrote:
    That probably is the only box! As from what I've heard its the box that's causing all the delays. No point releasing something that doesn't work. Don't know if they've solved the problems yet.

If they are having problems at this late hour, I think it is a cause for concern as regards the trustworthiness of the box. I don't think I'm going to pay for one until I see it is fully operational and any glitches ironed out!!
  • Options
    papadontpreachpapadontpreach Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I have upgraded to a panasonic 42 inch viera HD tv in preperation for the big sky launch... whenever that is, the latest i was told by the people at sky is it should be ready for the world cup, any way I have just bought a hd dvd player in the hope of seeing some hd action, anyone know of where i can purchase some hd dvd discs until the great day arrives? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did you get an hd dvd player... given that they're not actually out yet!
  • Options
    rjmachinrjmachin Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine that what he actually got was an Upscaling HDMI dvd player such as the Samsung 850/960, or the Philips one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluespirit wrote:
    No point releasing something that doesnt work.

Thats never stopped Microsoft:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats never stopped Microsoft:D

Hee Hee thats brightened my day up, Excellent mate. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjmachin wrote:
    I would imagine that what he actually got was an Upscaling HDMI dvd player such as the Samsung 850/960, or the Philips one.

Doesn't square with his search for HD DVD disks to watch.

Unless he fell for a salesman's patter... :eek:
  • Options
    camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjmachin wrote:

Presumably. This is one of the biggest drawbacks to using the HD-DVD name, so much confusion already and it's not even out yet! Can you imagine the people buying HD-DVD discs to play on their upscaling DVD players!?
  • Options
    papadontpreachpapadontpreach Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Well I thought i Knew a lot about these things but it was an upscaling HD dvd player I bought but its not the Samsung its the Sigmatek Xmb 510 pro from Germany, Beautiful Machine that can be wall mounted, just like the Salesman if it doesnt work well, Im Connecting it to My new Panasonic TH42PV500 i will let you know if the Dvd Quality improves. ant tips or Guidence most welcome. :confused: