Options

Freephone Sky !

Comments

• Options
    WiddyWiddy Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont forget Sky dont have to change to an 0800 number from the 0870. A normal 01/02 number would suffice so people can then use their free minutes on mobiles or call free on BT Options.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually call 0870 numbers from my mobile (O2) as their inclusive minutes include non-geographic numbers (0845, 0870, etc). Obviously premium rate numbers are not included :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find, there is one in Harrogate and another in Richmond, Surrey, Engerlund, not Usa) now open my friend. Also another opened in Fife (Kirkcaldy) and another ready to go just shortly in the same place.

The call centre in Kirkclady is only temporary is it not? The MGt call centre is there to try help reduce tech waiting times during this busy period
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    coming here to complain about it ain't going to change anything folks so just deal with it or walk!
    No one has to leave Sky because it costs money to call customer service. Just don't ring them is the answer. The answers to most queries can be found on this site anyway. A change of subscription can be done online as well!
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sum it up which ever way you want I can't be bothered to arguee about it, coming here to complain about it ain't going to change anything folks so just deal with it or walk!
    I would rather a company make money through it's calls than put up my monthly subs by £2-£3 pounds per month to compensate!

But if everyone annoyed by the costs of phonecalls cancels then your subscrirtion will go up to cover the shortfall!!!
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be thankfull it ain't a fixed 10p per min like NTL are going to do!

Then you would have something to complain about!
  • Options
    Presenter100Presenter100 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's changes a foot for the rip off 0870 numbers. These fixed to national rate number were introduced when BT charged a "national rate" on long distance calls. They don't anymore, so you can call anywhere for the price of a local call, often free if you have a minutes bundle from them or use a company like call18866

I'd like it made law that if you request the landline number the 0870 diverts to, the company HAS to give it to you. Then those people who want to dial the 01 or 02 number can.

Im not bothered about them paying for the reverse charge via an 0800 number, just a fair system using 01/02 number.

If anyone knows the land line number for sky customer service, please post as saynoto0870 aint up to date!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be thankful it is not a fixed 10p per minute like NTL is going to do!
    Source or link to this information please?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Is it possible to write to or email Sky to give them an instruction as to eg. change package, or does it have to be by phone.

In Ireland, we used to be able to call Sky free (1800) but now there is a 0181 number which I suspect is analogous to the 0870 numbers in UK. Recently I was on hold for 40 minutes and eventually hung up. It must be a money-making racket as I never had any difficulty speaking to someone when the free number was in operation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here is your link:
    http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/244/ntl-to-end-free-calls-to-customer-service-line
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DPSF wrote:
    Is it possible to write to or email Sky to give them an instruction as to eg. change package, or does it have to be by phone.

In Ireland, we used to be able to call Sky free (1800) but now there is a 0181 number which I suspect is analogous to the 0870 numbers in UK. Recently I was on hold for 40 minutes and eventually hung up. It must be a money-making racket as I never had any difficulty speaking to someone when the free number was in operation.

You do not need to call them as far as i'm aware you can upgrade your package via the interactive customer services!
  • Options
    rifleman19rifleman19 Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If anyone knows the land line number for sky customer service, please post as saynoto0870 aint up to date!

You could always try Sky Customer Care, 0207 705 3000,

They seem helpful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Be thankfull it ain't a fixed 10p per min like NTL are going to do!

Unlike Sky, ntl have the courtesy to think of customers:
    "We are putting in place initiatives to ensure any customer who is on hold for three minutes or more is given the option to
    request a free call back from us."

Kind regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPSF wrote:
    Is it possible to write to or email Sky to give them an instruction as to eg. change package?
    Yes you can, but you'll find that the timescale involved in them replying to (and actioning) your instructions are fairly restrictive. I've seen 12 days quoted on these forums and it's the same if you send them snail mail!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.It's on the front page of this site now as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    No company is going to lose annual income, if you think sky are going to give you a freephone number and not try and make back the loss in any other way then your living in the clouds!

Another member posted an example which he has a valid point. If say 2,000 people call sky a day and spend an average of 10 mins on the phone then annually sky are making around one hundred and eighty thousand a year, if sky provide a freephone number they lose this and infact will be paying out this amount with a net loss of three hundred and sixty thousand pounds annually!

you make 3p per min with an 0870 number, you get billed 3p per min on an 0800 number. (Not the customer but the bill payer of the 0800 number)

Do you honestly think they will not put up subs to compensate?

(above figures out of memory and not accurate, see op for exact figures!)

I'm afraid you can't just pluck ludicrous figures out of the air to suit your argument, just makes you sound silly. If my maths are right, an extra £2 a month from each subscriber would generate a wopping £384m a year, I know this 0870 thing is a racket but come on :rolleyes:

I think I and most people would be happy enough with just being charged at normal national call rates but a freephone number would be nice, sure (and not that costly) and imagine the goodwill it would generate especially in light of NTL getting rid of there's, would really give Sky something else to beat NTL with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I and most people would be happy enough with just being charged at normal national call rates and imagine the goodwill it would generate especially in light of NTL getting rid of theirs.
    I agree, pity people are plucking figures out of the air to try and justify Sky's greed with regards to the 0870 telephone number farago. Only Sky's shareholder's need fear a change to an 0845 number, Sky couldn't justify a subscription increase to pay for it - that's part of what profits are for (and how they can continue to be made in the long run)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, sky could easy change the number from an 0870 to an 0845 or even a 01 or 02 without the need to increase charges. However the fact is at the end of the financial year sky's books are going to be down on last year due to the loss of income through their 0870 number!

That means they will be looking to make that lose back!

Maybe by increasing the subs, ok I admit the £2-£3 was a figure pulled out of the air. However it does not change the fact that this will no doubt happen if they were to change it!
    Fedz wrote:
    Unlike Sky, ntl have the courtesy to think of customers:
    "We are putting in place initiatives to ensure any customer who is on hold for three minutes or more is given the option to request a free call back from us."
    Didn't they do this last year sometime. I remember typing in my number and being promised a call back on a couple of occasions. Needless to say it didn't happen. In the mean time on an 0870 number you've just racked up 30p's worth of charges. Nice.
  • Options
    ilovekrysilovekrys Posts: 1,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rifleman19 wrote:
    You could always try Sky Customer Care, 0207 705 3000,

They seem helpful.
    they are always helpful to me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Sky only has two sites in Scotland.

Sky Subscriber Services LTD (SSSL) In Livingston is the UK's main contact centre. Emails, phone calls and letters are sent to this site.

Dunfermline on the other hand deals with finance but does not deal directly with customers.

I know there main HQ is in Osterley, on the edge of London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't they do this last year sometime. I remember typing in my number and being promised a call back on a couple of occasions. Needless to say it didn't happen. In the mean time on an 0870 number you've just racked up 30p's worth of charges. Nice.
    NTL have always been 0800 for me - I've been with them 7+ years.

30p (NTL) would be nothing at the side of my £18 (Sky) 0870 customer services calling to advise them my EPG had been down for over a week due to their negligence - at my expense obviously!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not for long. NTL announced they are scrapping the freephone number and in its place a call charged at national rate and also a one-off charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skiloh wrote:
    Not for long. NTL announced they are scrapping the freephone number and in its place a call charged at national rate and also a one-off charge.
    Please see post number 39 (above).

NTL: "We are putting in place initiatives to ensure any customer who is on hold for three minutes or more is given the option to
    request a free call back from us."

Kind regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just have to see if this is actioned. Or just another pipe dream. NTL have never been great for customer service. Regularly appearing on BBC's Watchdog for poor customer service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skiloh wrote:
    Just have to see if this is actioned. Or just another pipe dream. NTL have never been great for customer service. Regularly appearing on BBC's Watchdog for poor customer service.
    Sky needs to come pretty close for their 'racket' of putting customers on excessive holding times on an 0870 number.

My phone bill bears witness to that!