Options

BBC HD confirmed for mid-May

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4834322.stm

Main points:

- World Cup & Wimbledon live in HD
- BBC's archive of HD programmes to be shown - Planet Earth, Bleak House, Hotel Babylon etc.
- It is slightly ambiguous as to availablity on platforms other than the closed DTT trial, although we've heard elsewhere that it should be on SkyHD
- Mid-May start, with trial lasting 6-12 months (it's only really called a trial because to launch a new HD channel would mean going through the approval process which would take too long and miss the Summer's sport).

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to be available to "satellite and cable distributors", unless their transmitting on one of the other satellites that only a few people can get, I take it their refering to Sky HD and hence a Sky launch in April?
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    chriswatts wrote:
    Going to be available to "satellite and cable distributors", unless their transmitting on one of the other satellites that only a few people can get, I take it their refering to Sky HD and hence a Sky launch in April?

The exact quote there is "HDTV will only be available to viewers who have HD-enabled television sets, set-top boxes and relevant services via satellite and cable distributors.", with the important bit being it says "HDTV will only be available to.." not "The BBC HD trial will..".

Most worrying bit is "Mr Mosey stressed that the trial would only be available to a selected group of viewers" but again, we've heard a few times that it should be on SkyHD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Don't worry. It will be available to everyone (with an HD box).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/digital/tv/hdtv.shtml

"We will launch a BBC HD trial from mid 2006. It will include some of the best sport, drama, events and documentaries from BBC ONE and BBC TWO. BBC HD will be part time and show around two hours or more of programmes each day. The BBC's HD programmes will be free to anyone who has the right equipment – an "HD Ready" display and satellite or cable HD service and set top box. The BBC HD trial will last 6-12 months and have an end date so we can assess how it has gone."
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    The BBC HD Trial will be available to anyone with the right equipment and who live in the bunch of houses that the BBC has yet to decide will receive these signals.

Houses. Not towns, countys, countrys.. houses.. hardly worth shouting about I think....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have confirmed it will be available to those with SkyHD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sanderton wrote:
    Sky have confirmed it will be available to those with SkyHD.
    to who?
    where's the proof?
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Hmm, I hope you're right Sanderton!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanVitale wrote:
    The BBC HD Trial will be available to anyone with the right equipment and who live in the bunch of houses that the BBC has yet to decide will receive these signals.

Houses. Not towns, countys, countrys.. houses.. hardly worth shouting about I think....

Well Sky seem to think it means their platform :)

And have according to the Sky PR department:
    We [Sky] have confirmed publicly that we will have our service ready before the world cup and the BBC release states: “It will only be accessible to viewers who have all of the following: HD Ready televisions, HD set top boxes and HD services from satellite or cable providers.”

So don't worry on that front on the other hand with April rond the corner how many installs can they have in place by mid may? And will you be on the list :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmace wrote:
    to who?
    where's the proof?

To me and anyone else who they send press communications to. :)

From an e-mail received this morning:
    Following the BBC's confirmation today that it will broadcast its 2006 World Cup coverage in high definition, viewers who have purchased a Sky HD box and HD Ready TV will be able to watch the world's greatest sporting event in all its glory for the first time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Appart from the Sky HD box, are there currently any other receivers (or PC cards) out there which will be capable of handling the BBC HD transmissions in May?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes. The ones I know of are:

Humax PR-HD 1000, which you can pick up for about £276

Pace 810, which you can get for about £370

KNC One DVB-S2 PC card EUR199 (£138)(in short supply)

Technotrend S2-3200 PC card EUR129 (£89) (in stock 14 April).
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark200 wrote:

KNC One DVB-S2 PC card EUR199 (in short supply)

Technotrend S2-3200 PC card EUR129 (in stock 14 April).

Hi,

Have you seen English reviews for these two pci cards?

I was considering the TT one, but from looking around with a google translator it needs a 3.2ghz dual core for h264 software decoding of HDTV. :eek:

I wasn't able to work out whether the stock never came in, or it sold quickly on dvbshop with the TT model.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reviews are all in German I think. I didn't see them come in at the earlier date either.

I think MPEG4 needs quite a bit of processor power, so it's better to be safe than sorry. Although we're seeing the emergence of graphics cards with hardware decoding, the software that comes with the PC card may not necessarily be coded to make use of such capabilities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the list, Mark, much appreciated! :)

I did a quick run on the specs of both receivers and neither seems to support a hard drive (with a PC card I assume you can by default record anything you wish to the PC's internal hard drive).

Also, the receivers seem to be geeignet for the Premiere package, so if I wanted I could hook up the same receiver to pick up both the German and British HD transmissions! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    sanderton wrote:
    Following the BBC's confirmation today that it will broadcast its 2006 World Cup coverage in high definition, viewers who have purchased a Sky HD box and HD Ready TV will be able to watch the world's greatest sporting event in all its glory for the first time.

But SKY HD is not available yet !!

No release date has been announced.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://media247.co.uk/skydigital/newsarchive/2006/03/sky_hd_to_show.php

Me thinks Sky will launch the box in May but hey what do I know. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They will, as they don't have a choice. With people keen to watch BBC and the World Cup, early adopters will go for free-to-air boxes if Sky HD is not available. I'm expecting an announcement tomorrow so that Sky can grab the interest generated from the BBC announcement - otherwise Sky is wasting an opportunity....
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Personally, this really could make the difference between contemplating getting SkyHD and going for it, even though on most nights there'll only be about 2 hours of programming scheduled (obviously a lot more when Wimbledon & the World Cup are on at the same time!)
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark200 wrote:
    They will, as they don't have a choice. With people keen to watch BBC and the World Cup, early adopters will go for free-to-air boxes if Sky HD is not available. I'm expecting an announcement tomorrow so that Sky can grab the interest generated from the BBC announcement - otherwise Sky is wasting an opportunity....

How long will the waits be to get it though when they start taking orders. :D

This doesnt sound good news typical of Europe http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4812602.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm, so does this mean that we could actually face having a shortage of those HD boxes (FTA, Sky or otherwise) in the shops just before the World Cup commences? Now I'm getting nervous. :eek:

I was going to wait a few more weeks (or months), to see what other models might become available, but perhaps it would be wiser now to purchase one IMMEDIATELY ...
  • Options
    bayardsbayards Posts: 1,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark200 wrote:

KNC One DVB-S2 PC card EUR199 (£138)(in short supply)

Technotrend S2-3200 PC card EUR129 (£89) (in stock 14 April).

www.sat-world.com has the Humax in stock at £262 - there will also be a Philips Cineos DSr 9005 model soon.

I have teh Humax - some probs expected to be fixed in next OTA upgrade though. Good machine and lovely quality pic.

H