Options

Hollyoaks- General

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found tonights episode upsetting to watch. I would have preferred a different storlyine,I just don't feel comfortable with a baby dying storyline. :(
    Sarah Dunn is a brilliant actress,she was brilliant tonight. It's a shame she is leaving. :( I'll miss Mandy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    oh that was awful. i just burst into tears when mandy found her. although i was getting quite misty at the start of the episode since i knew what was coming. :(

its just so cruel that mandy was finally happy and now this. soap writers are evil!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Wow the ending gave me shivers from head to toe, and that's no lie. It was awful, but incredible acting from Sarah.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that ending was heartbreaking, it was so awful
  • Options
    kevin58kevin58 Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine that Tony and Mandy will be leaving in the near future (or one of them) -since there's been such an horrific storyline tonight :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    that was really hard viewing

my future mother in law is a health visitor and she was telling me earlier today about a woman who she knew a few years ago had a baby quite late in life (she had a few teenage daughters) and she was relieved when the baby girl was born fit and healthy.

when the baby was 3 months old she took her out for a trip in the car, and during the trip heard the baby let out a whimper and pulled over a few minutes later, and found that the baby had died of cot death in the car :(

its not something i had ever considered when having a baby, but you just never know
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    For those at E4 pace
    The episode is utterly heart-wrenching. Absolutely fantastic acting from Sarah Dunn, Nick Pickard and Ali Bastian. I didn't even think that Grace would die but there we are. When Becca listened to the answerphone message and Nancy said "Grace is dead" it really seemed very sad.
    I'm sensing some fantastic and touching scenes coming up.
  • Options
    Gossip QueenGossip Queen Posts: 8,758
    Forum Member
    Phew! I really liked tonight episode! It was so touching, except them girls talking about who they fancy....Boring.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i watched both episode, been crying all evening
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the epi at E4 pace, one of the most emotional one's in a while, and well acted!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Omg that's really upset me tonight. I know it's only a tv programme but a friend at works granddaughter died at end of last year. She was only months old like Grace. Cant even imagine what they went through ansd still are. Well done to Hollyoaks actors, some excellent acting tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG I love hollyoaks, tonight I got so emotional, poor Grace. Excellent acting from all parts. I am sooo unhappy when it happened, I was nearly crying. I hope Sara gets a good acting career out of this.
  • Options
    anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the first look e4 episode tonight was fantastic, the scenes with mandy were really moving, great writing from the hollyoaks team
  • Options
    JoanneKJoanneK Posts: 25,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought not having the normal end credits made it even sadder. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I'm not sure I appreciate this storyline. Where I cannot fault the heartbreaking acting by Sarah Dunn, it's such a horrific direction to take the character of Mandy in - and I don't like how death is all centred around her. :cry:
  • Options
    anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Rach* wrote:
    and I don't like how death is all centred around her. :cry:

i do think that it is a bit unrealistic everything that her character has been through in the 8 years or so in hollyoaks, however i think that because the veiwers know her character really well, it has more effect than for instance if a character they bought in the last few months who had a baby and then died, as the veiwers are more intune with mandys character as we have watched her grow up with us,
  • Options
    JoanneKJoanneK Posts: 25,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was worse was that Mandy's fears came true. She was scared to bond with Grace because everbody else who she loved had died. And then little Gracie goes and dies when Mandy has finally bonded with her. So cruel. :(
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    I can’t believe I am actually going to say this.

I hope Sarah Dunn does not come back to Hollyoaks.

Not because I don’t want to see Mandy again. But because I think Sarah Dunn is capable of so much more and with a bit of luck can achieve great things that she deserves.

Check this out for her C.V.

http://www.spotlight.com/interactive/cv/1/a4082/f83853.html
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,992
    Forum Member
    *Rach* wrote:
    Hmm, I'm not sure I appreciate this storyline. Where I cannot fault the heartbreaking acting by Sarah Dunn, it's such a horrific direction to take the character of Mandy in - and I don't like how death is all centred around her. :cry:

I agree. If Hollyoaks really felt they had to do this storyline I would have prefer if they had done it with someone different.... not prefered but you know what I mean. Maybe it could have been Becca? So much has happened to Mandy over the years, like you say death centred around her and this just feels like its a step too far. No doubt Hollyoaks will do the storyline justice.... they always do cover issues well, but I really think they could have given Mandy a happier ending.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have prefered to see an adult die,not a baby. :(
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me how baby Grace died?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. If Hollyoaks really felt they had to do this storyline I would have prefer if they had done it with someone different.... not prefered but you know what I mean. Maybe it could have been Becca? So much has happened to Mandy over the years, like you say death centred around her and this just feels like its a step too far. No doubt Hollyoaks will do the storyline justice.... they always do cover issues well, but I really think they could have given Mandy a happier ending.

Or, if they were so keen to do a baby death, why not have her die due to being premature? What on earth was the point of dragging out Mandy's reluctance to bond with her incase she died, when her fears just came true?! Just to add even more misery into Mandy's life? As she'll know doubt think of those lost weeks at the after her birth. Deary me, talk about adding salt to the wound. :(
  • Options
    OGBOGB Posts: 9,229
    Forum Member
    OGB wrote:
    Have watched HO since the very first episode and all I can say is in only the second time in its history have I ever felt 'horrified' at a storyline. The first obviously being with Luke, but obviously in retrospect it was in my opinion one of the best storys' in a soap - ever. However!! the next big one featuring the death of Grace!!! Nah. That.is.OFF.KEY. Proper! I have spent at least 12 months at a time hating Mandy, but this.... Not feeling this at.all. Nope. Don't really care how it's handled either. Just a big no-no. Doesn't sit well with me at all. The death of a child!!! :confused: I guess all soaps just represent what happens in real life but this just makes me feel totally uneasy. Maybe it's because I know the characters so well, or I'm just being over-sensitive.... Or perhaps I just need to get a life...

Unfortunately, my fears were realised...
  • Options
    swelfordswelford Posts: 1,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarah dunns acting was outstanding she deserves an award.
    I was in tears when she was saying grace wake up for mummy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngiBear wrote:
    Can someone tell me how baby Grace died?

Cot death, sudden infant death syndrome if you like.

I won't be watching it over the next few days or so, as I've experienced the loss of a baby, also called Grace. I appreciate them covering story like that, but for me it's just too raw. I couldn't watch the end of the programme. I know it's only acting, but it's still emulating the real thing.

Babies die in real life, and Home and Away had an unhealthy and serious fix on babies dying once (Pippa's, Bobby's, Donald and Marilyns two etc)

Plenty of adults have 'died' in Hollyoaks. As long as it's not trivialised, I'm sure it will give a worthwhile impression of what it's like.

As I'd say, if you think having a child is hard, it doesn't compare to losing one.