Upgrading the hard disk in a Thomson DHD 4000 (merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    OK. I have read lots of this thread but can't quite find the info I want.

I am going to upgrade my thomson hard disk with the hard disc from my computer and was wondering if anyone else had ever used the same drive and if so, how has it performed? Are there any reasons why I should not use this drive?

The drive is a Seagate ST3120023A. 120GB 7200RPM. the blurb says 2MB cache but I have been told it has 8MB.

Here's a link to datasheets:
    http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,556,00.html

My main concerns are power consumption and heat, would it be OK?

Also, I'd be pleased to hear recommendations for a replacement IDE drive for my PC (120GB-200GB and as fast as possible).

Thanks

Pete
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I don't know about this particular drive but I tried other Seagate drives and these were quit noisy when seeking.

I installed a ST3160022ACE and that has started annoying me with the noise so much that I am looking for another drive.

Unfortunately Seagate does not provide any acustics management. The Hitachi AM Disk (mentioned in this thread)recognises the Seagate drives, but on the three different drives I tested it says there is no AM incorporated.
  • fat jezfat jez Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Top tip, if you find that the orange LED stays on after you have upgraded your drive, check that you have the IDE cable plugged in properly at both ends. I found (after trying 3 drives!) that the cable at the motherboard end was not quiet securely attached, hence my corrupt screen and constant LED.

Stephen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    GEOJ wrote:
    Hi,

Unfortunately Seagate does not provide any acustics management. .

yes, I also tested the standard 40gb drive, and AAM was removed....

I say removed, because standard Seagata ATA drives ( Barracudas ) do have AAM............their Sata versions do not...

seems the ACE drives, have aam removed, probably due to ensure seek speed is kept to max ....

Samsung spinpoint drives are supposed to be quiet, as are Maxtor Diamondmax 10, both support AAM.....

but I couldnt find any at 5400 for sale, thought they were made....

7200 has problems with even more noise, especially motor whine....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Has anyone upgraded their DHD-4000 box with a Samsung SP1634N 160Gb drive yet?

I'm considering buying one, but I've not seen anything on the various DHD-4000 related forums and this appears to be the only 160Gb Samsung you can currently get hold of.

The downside is that it looks like the firmware "downgrade" won't work with this drive. :(

Cheers,
    Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    boogs wrote:
    but I couldnt find any at 5400 for sale, thought they were made....

7200 has problems with even more noise, especially motor whine....

http://www.aria.co.uk/productinfocomm.asp?id=20943
  • DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boogs wrote:
    seems the ACE drives, have aam removed, probably due to ensure seek speed is kept to max ....

Seagate removed AAM from their drives after Convolve launched the $800million lawsuit over patent infringment:

http://www.convolve.com/pr2000-7-12a.html

http://www.pcw.co.uk/vnunet/news/2113124/compaq-seagate-face-disk-drive-lawsuit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    dave2986 wrote:
    I've just put one of these drives in sorced from aria. its been in week and is working great. I tried the firmware downgrade but it said that it would not work. However, it is not noisey and works great.
  • Pop RobertsPop Roberts Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave2986 wrote:

Thanks for the pointer Dave2986. I've also been looking for a 5400rpm drive.

Pop
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I got one of these samsung drives in my thompson and it work fine, had in about 3 months now.
    (SV1604n)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I've just ordered one of these from Aria, thanks for the info, looking forward to a few more hours than I have at the moment.

SJC
    Forum Member
    Well, just completed the install of my new Samsung SV1604N 160GB HDD into my Thomson DHD4000 (or should that be DHD 160000?).

Everything seemed pretty straight forward, many thanks to the other posters for all their help.

One thing I wasn't sure about. I removed the caddy completely. Rested the fan, fan side down on the board itself, and then rested the HDD on top of the fan (circuit board side down). I placed both in elastic bands to give them a little friction on the circuit board and too keep them apart just a little.

Does this sound OK?

My old HDD temp was around 40C, but the Thomson is now stating 100C, have I screwed up somewhere. I don't mind taking it apart again to get it right.

Any advice most welcome.

SJC
  • larkimlarkim Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stephenc wrote:
    My old HDD temp was around 40C, but the Thomson is now stating 100C, have I screwed up somewhere. I don't mind taking it apart again to get it right.

My Samsung drive reports the same - I think perhaps the drives report temps in different ways, so I wouldn't be worried about this. Others have reported similar.

Matt
    Forum Member
    stephenc wrote:
    Rested the fan, fan side down on the board itself, and then rested the HDD on top of the fan (circuit board side down). I placed both in elastic bands to give them a little friction on the circuit board and too keep them apart just a little.

Firstly, thanks Larkim, appreciate the confirmation.

Regarding the fan position, its actually resting directly above the venting, not on the circuit board and the HDD (circuit side down) is resting directly on top of the fan.

Should I move the HDD so it rests on the circuit board which should allow the fan to circulate air all around the internals?

Just touched the externals and it actually seems cooler than with the previous std HDD.

Regards,

Stephen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I have just put the same Samsung 160gb, the temp of the harddrive is not a true reading, something to do with the sensor in the drive, my previous drive a Western digital 80Gb gave reading of 99 all the time, the unit temp seems to be less with new drive but I have not really tested it yet. have a new standard box and it is in a different room but runs so much cooler with standard drive that I thought I would try a 5400 rpm drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Wonder if everyones jumping too ahead anyone had any sucess with a 80gb unit? should be get one of those cheap :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    MichaelNUK wrote:
    Wonder if everyones jumping too ahead anyone had any sucess with a 80gb unit? should be get one of those cheap :)
    I have an 80GB drive in my Thomson. My thinking was it was all I'd need as I was only just overflowing thje 40GB. Eventually found an 80GB Seagate ACE drive - same series as the supplied one. Seems to work fine - temperature is a bit higher than the 40GB one but not much - couple of crashes overnight with the EPG download but 2.3.9 seems to have sorted that.

One point to note on this drive series is that the current requirements of the 80GB version match those of the 120GB (and 160GB I think) that have been reported here not the 40GB drive that is supplied, so not sure this is actually saving anything over getting a 120 or 160, certainly if you switch to Samsung instead. That said, the temp. readings work and the drive is still really quiet (though a little more clicky than the original).

Martin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I would just like to give my input as a very happy new DHD4000 owner -

Bought unit brand new at £100, current firmware 2.3.9, works fine, not notably noisy.

Upgraded hard disk without any trouble - used 160GB Samsung SV1604N 5400rpm available at Aria.co.uk. Unit powered back on almost immediately and worked perfectly.

The new hard drive is not any noisier than the old one, though I believe the whole unit runs a touch warmer than before. Anyone concerned about the temperatures their systems are reaching should not worry; hard drives will happily run all day long at 60C.

More info on my install in seperate thread

Alex
  • Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you use laptop drives in the Thomson like people have been doing with the DigiFusion boxes?

I would like to use one given that they're cooler and quieter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Yes you can
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paper Doll wrote:
    Can you use laptop drives in the Thomson like people have been doing with the DigiFusion boxes?

I would like to use one given that they're cooler and quieter.

As Cliff said, Yes. It is essentially the same hardware as the FVRT100 (etc).

If you can afford it, I'd recommend it. Even my wife thinks the noise is low enough to be able to read with it on!

I bought a 120Gb 2.5" drive from Scan

120 Gb Western Digital WD1200UE Scorpion - £72.55

Plus VAT and delivery came to about £92
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Hitachi DeskStar T7K250?

As it's stated as being ;
    low power :rolleyes:
    low noise :cool:
    and ideal for PVR's :D
    "low power utilization and quiet acoustics. These features combine to make the Deskstar T7K250 ideal not only for standard PC systems but also for ATA entry-servers, personal video recorders".
    http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=HTGA048K2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you still have to do the software downgrade for the Samsung SV1604N to work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Samsung SV1604N a reliable unit?

I ordered one from PC Upgrade but they called and said they had to send the last batch back because they'd had too many returns.

Only a one year warranty on it as well compared to three on their other drives.

Is it just a bad batch and still worth ordering because it's hard to find another 5400 rpm unit at a decent price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Paper Doll wrote:
    Is the Samsung SV1604N a reliable unit?

I ordered one from PC Upgrade but they called and said they had to send the last batch back because they'd had too many returns.

Only a one year warranty on it as well compared to three on their other drives.

Is it just a bad batch and still worth ordering because it's hard to find another 5400 rpm unit at a decent price.

sounds like they ran out or couldnt find them so made up the first thing that came to mind.

Samsung dont have a rep for bad driver afask, 1 year warranty is standard for them as they sell to OEM's