Options

Scottish/Welsh/N.Irish - Who are you supporting in Germany?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I want to enjoy the World cup, but won't be able to because the English commentators ruin every match by managing to bang on about England this, England that and England the next bloody thing, rather than do what they are paid to do, which is commentate on the game which is being played. Even when the game will have no impact whatsoever on England, they just can't stop themselves from banging on about England. It's the exact same story as every other World Cup competition. So if you genuinely want us all to enjoy the competition, could you please tell the commentators to do their jobs properly, otherwise our enjoyment will be severely limited.? Thank you, lol.

to be fair though, they will be commentating on English games or will be discussing the possibilities of us meeting the team they're commentatining on further in the competition so I'd be a little worried if they weren't talking about England ...

and after all, they are our only British representatives in the competition ... you'd expect them to talk about Scotland or Wales or Northern Ireland if the shoe was on the other foot and they were there ...

I'm just sick of all these sour grapes that seem to be coming from the other parts of the UK ... I know, even as a true Englishman, if it was one of yous in the competition instead of us, I'd be behind yous all the way ...

I'd rather cheer on a home country rather than one of those arrogant foreign filled countries ...

so please support us in our hour of need ... COME ON THE ENGLAND ... Do the UK proud!!!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    I will be supporting England as wales are not in the world cup
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    France cause I have just drawn them in the works sweepstake. C'mon the French!

Alternatively Sweden because Henrik Larsson is a legend. I cant bring myself to support England-sorry.
  • Options
    mattwoodfieldmattwoodfield Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    maximilian wrote:
    I've just had a read through all this thread :eek:
    I actually thought it was an innocent question as to who I was supporting, rather than having to justify why it won't be England!

Anyway, to be brief. I ain't supporting England because it's not my country. I have no links to England, no family ties, no English friends.
    I don't hate England. I don't hate the English. But I feel under no obligation to support them. Why would I? England means no more to me than any other European country ( in fact I have French and Dutch friends so I'd support their Teams before England).
    I live in the British Isles. So what? I also live in Europe. I would support Ireland if they were playing because I have family ties to that country. I probably wouldn't 'support' Wales because again I have no 'links' with that country.

I don't feel 'British'. I don't even know what that means. I carry a UK passport and that really annoys me. It's a political situation I don't want.

I am not a bigot, racist or anything else. The only team guaranteed my support is Scotland. That's my country.

I would never expect English people to automatically support Scotland in any competition. And I would certainly not care a jot if they didn't do so.

I really can't understand all the furore this is causing in England. :confused:

Thats a fair point. I dont see myself as british either, i see my self as english, and i dont like the idea of haveing a british passport either!!

But what i think people are saying is that becuase wales, scotland, england and northern ireland are home nations we should get behind them. But its entirely up to the individual who he/she supports or not.
    Fair play to you.

I just cant get some scottish people though. The main commentators for england games are going to be Motson and Tysely. These are english people, and have a right to get excited if england score/win. They are passionate human beings that love thier country and football. Stop bloody moaning.
  • Options
    Scot1974Scot1974 Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just cant get some scottish people though. The main commentators for england games are going to be Motson and Tysely. These are english people, and have a right to get excited if england score/win. They are passionate human beings that love thier country and football. Stop bloody moaning.

Oh, pay attention (again!)

No one object to an Englishman getting excited during an England game ...... i would expect the commentators to do so, and be right behind their team. In my opinion, bias is ok in that situation.

However, in the other games that dont involve England, we dont have to be reminded every 10 mins about the England Camp, about 1966, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc. There are lots of teams playing, not just England .... if they want to get excited during England games, then fine .... just remember that this is NATIONAL tv, and some of us would just like to enjoy the football impartially during the rest of the matches! :rolleyes:

Is that clear, or do we have to explain it yet again?
  • Options
    mattwoodfieldmattwoodfield Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    Yes its national!!! You'll find the majority of people watchin the coverage are english! Therefore, we want to hear about england. Also as people have pointed out, the teams could be future oponents!!!
  • Options
    Pacha67Pacha67 Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes its national!!! You'll find the majority of people watchin the coverage are english! Therefore, we want to hear about england. Also as people have pointed out, the teams could be future oponents!!!

So why not provide unbiased national (British) coverage with a regional opt out for England where you can hear all the jingoism, borderline racist and over excited hype you want.

I'm a little worried about the English media at the moment, and some of the fans on here too. There seems to be a pathalogical craving for the approbation of the rest of the "home" nations, particularly Scotland....all you want is too be loved it seems. Worst offender is Sky Sports News (there's a laff, it's 99% football even in the off season!), who when they aren't banging on about Scots hating the English, are scoring some ego inflating points by making wise cracks about certain teams not being there.

No doubt, when England get knocked out of the tournament it'll be the fault of the "Jocks" and the "Taffs" and the "Micks" for not giving England enough love. As has been pointed out on here already, you have 50million people (give or take), if that's not enough for you, where next? Will you be campaigning throughout the Commonwealth, I believe Canada and New Zealand won't be there...............
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Scottish matches are broadcast UK-wide, viewers outside Scotland get English commentators. Why can't the converse happen?
  • Options
    NFLFanNFLFan Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC & ITV have just issued these important guidelines to their world cup commentators:

1 - Within 1 minute of kick off in the opening match (Germany v Costa Rica), the commentator must mention England.

2 - Regardless of what two teams are contesting the final, England have to be mentioned within the first minute.

3 - The commentator shall refer to the Falkland Isles in passing at some point in the match if England play Argentina.

4 - Whenever a hat trick is scored, comparisons with Geoff Hurst will be made within seconds of the third goal hitting the net.

5 - Should England wear their red jerseys, then '1966' should be mentioned
    approximately 20 times.

6 - 1966 will be mentioned approximately 10 times a match, or only on 4
    or 5 occasions for matches not involving England.

7 - Prior to the captain of the winning team lifting the trophy, the
    commentator will mention Bobby Moore. And 1966.

8 - When Germany are playing, they must be referred to as being
    arrogant by the commentator on at least 14 occasions. This must refer to their style, their passing, their haircuts and their general footballing
    ability.

9 - Should England play Germany, mentions of Winston Churchill,
    Dambusters, The Luftwaffe and Adolf Hitler will be compulsory. And

10 - All Scottish members of our commentary team must continue to refer
    to England as "we" and "us".

11 - We must ensure that nationalistic stereotypes are adhered to. Of
    course, the Germans are arrogant. The Spanish are bottlers, The Ivory
    Coast are fast but bad at defending, The Angolans are disorganised,
    The Argentinians are cheats and the French are only good because their best
    players play in England.

12 - For matches not involving England, we must only discuss the
    players that are playing in England. (eg - Holland v Argentina should be
    referred to as Van Nistelroy v Crespo).

13 - The mythical "bulldog spirit" phrase should be used as often as
    possible.

14 - Each match involving England should begin with the phrase "England Expects."

15 - Should any player be involved in an injury that involves the loss
    of teeth, then references to Nobby Stiles and 1966 are compulsory.

16 - If in doubt, mention 1966.

17 - Praise all of the stunning new stadiums in Germany but emphasise
    that they lack the presence of Wembley, the spiritual home of football since

18 - Commentators should feel free to imitate the style of Kenneth
    Wolstenholme, the hero of 1966.

19 - Should any team feature brothers playing together, then Jackie and Bobby Charlton should be mentioned.

20 - When England bow out after the first stage, we must emphasise that
    it is a massive blow to football and a serious loss to the World Cup.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrshawty wrote:
    But your not going to change that fact so why argue about it. There is no argument anyway because scotland aint even there. So they are supporting england.

Where do you get that nonsense from :yawn:

In your dreams more like!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maximilian wrote:
    I've just had a read through all this thread :eek:
    I actually thought it was an innocent question as to who I was supporting, rather than having to justify why it won't be England!

Anyway, to be brief. I ain't supporting England because it's not my country. I have no links to England, no family ties, no English friends.
    I don't hate England. I don't hate the English. But I feel under no obligation to support them. Why would I? England means no more to me than any other European country ( in fact I have French and Dutch friends so I'd support their Teams before England).
    I live in the British Isles. So what? I also live in Europe. I would support Ireland if they were playing because I have family ties to that country. I probably wouldn't 'support' Wales because again I have no 'links' with that country.

I don't feel 'British'. I don't even know what that means. I carry a UK passport and that really annoys me. It's a political situation I don't want.

I am not a bigot, racist or anything else. The only team guaranteed my support is Scotland. That's my country.

I would never expect English people to automatically support Scotland in any competition. And I would certainly not care a jot if they didn't do so.

I really can't understand all the furore this is causing in England. :confused:

Sums up my feelings exactly mate
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee_da_man wrote:

I'd rather cheer on a home country rather than one of those arrogant foreign filled countries ...

so please support us in our hour of need ... COME ON THE ENGLAND ... Do the UK proud!!!! :D

See its exactly that kind of equally arrogant attitude that makes me want to do anything BUT support England :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think its causing any forore, I dont know of anyone personally that cares if Scotland supports England in the World Cup. Why would we care? I wouldnt support Scotland if England wasnt in it and Scotland was.

I too do not feel British, but English. I wish they did away with this UK and GB stuff and just let England be England.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scot1974 wrote:
    Oh, pay attention (again!)

No one object to an Englishman getting excited during an England game ...... i would expect the commentators to do so, and be right behind their team. In my opinion, bias is ok in that situation.

However, in the other games that dont involve England, we dont have to be reminded every 10 mins about the England Camp, about 1966, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc. There are lots of teams playing, not just England .... if they want to get excited during England games, then fine .... just remember that this is NATIONAL tv, and some of us would just like to enjoy the football impartially during the rest of the matches! :rolleyes:

Is that clear, or do we have to explain it yet again?

When you say "NATIONAL tv" what do you mean? Its confusing with most scottish people refusing to be British or part of England whatsoever, why are you bothered? Wouldnt that be like me tuning into the French broadcasts of the World Cup and complaining to them that they mention the French team all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vellocet wrote:
    When you say "NATIONAL tv" what do you mean? Its confusing with most scottish people refusing to be British or part of England whatsoever, why are you bothered?

Part of England?????? Really, you must be taking the piss there - you really cant be so uneducated that you think Scotland should be part of England? By 'national' i of course mean UK wide media - and to be honest, it could get to **** out of Scotland as far as im concerned, but as it stands at the mo, we are stuck with the Beeb, ITV, etc!!
    Vellocet wrote:
    Wouldnt that be like me tuning into the French broadcasts of the World Cup and complaining to them that they mention the French team all the time.

.... and this is what baffles me! You practically make the same point as tons of posters on here have been making about the media, but still cant understand what we mean? Think about it, jeez, if England didnt qualify and the only tv channels you could put on were all French, with French bias, wouldnt you find that a tad irritating, if you were just sitting wanting to watch the football impartially without having to listen to all the jingoism of the 'french' channels, bear in mind these are the only ones you can receive. Now, why can't you understand that people in Scotland may just want to watch the footy without all that crap .... we dont have another choice of channels to watch, we are stuck with what we have. This isnt an anti-English thing, if i was getting German, French, or Dutch crap rammed down my throat on my telly screen it would be the same .... i (and tons of others) just want to watch the football without this

WHY IS THIS SO BLOODY HARD FOR SOME TO UNDERSTAND :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Therefore, we want to hear about england.

Great ...... then broadcast it in England only where people want to hear it, the rest of us dont
  • Options
    Matt00011Matt00011 Posts: 1,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scot1974 wrote:
    Great ...... then broadcast it in England only where people want to hear it, the rest of us dont
    What about us English who have moved across the border like I have? That means I miss out! ;)

I live in Wales but im still very pashionate about my country, so will be supporting the team all the way to the final I hope!

I understand with some of the scottish/welsh views about England being rammed down their necks though by the media.

If you pretend to be a welsh / scottish fan for a moment. You open a paper, you watch the news, you listen to the radio. It's overkill about England for the neutral. I understand to a degree what they are talking about.

As I see it though, it's only every 4 years the world cup. Next time around lets hope we will have Wales/Scotland playing in the tournament aswell.

Regards

Matt
  • Options
    FHMFHM Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    When Scottish matches are broadcast UK-wide, viewers outside Scotland get English commentators. Why can't the converse happen?

That is not always the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scot1974 wrote:
    I dunno ....

Why do you post so much crap nowadays? :D

It's my profession. :D

Do you dream of that Archie Gemmill goal when you are asleep? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FHM wrote:
    It's my profession. :D

Do you dream of that Archie Gemmill goal when you are asleep? :D

Well, you are bloody good at it, i hope you get paid lots :D

Not everyone is obsessed with Gemmill's goal ye know
  • Options
    KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member
    To all the English people who think that Scotland should be good neighbours and support England.

On this basis, if you are knocked out , I naturally assume that you will then support France, ( should they still be in the competition )which is after all another of your neighbours. There's only a small piece of water between England & France, and Paris is nearer to the majority of English people than Edinburgh is.
  • Options
    KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member
    NFLFan wrote:
    BBC & ITV have just issued these important guidelines to their world cup commentators:

1 - Within 1 minute of kick off in the opening match (Germany v Costa Rica), the commentator must mention England.

2 - Regardless of what two teams are contesting the final, England have to be mentioned within the first minute.

3 - The commentator shall refer to the Falkland Isles in passing at some point in the match if England play Argentina.

4 - Whenever a hat trick is scored, comparisons with Geoff Hurst will be made within seconds of the third goal hitting the net.

5 - Should England wear their red jerseys, then '1966' should be mentioned
    approximately 20 times.

6 - 1966 will be mentioned approximately 10 times a match, or only on 4
    or 5 occasions for matches not involving England.

7 - Prior to the captain of the winning team lifting the trophy, the
    commentator will mention Bobby Moore. And 1966.

8 - When Germany are playing, they must be referred to as being
    arrogant by the commentator on at least 14 occasions. This must refer to their style, their passing, their haircuts and their general footballing
    ability.

9 - Should England play Germany, mentions of Winston Churchill,
    Dambusters, The Luftwaffe and Adolf Hitler will be compulsory. And

10 - All Scottish members of our commentary team must continue to refer
    to England as "we" and "us".

11 - We must ensure that nationalistic stereotypes are adhered to. Of
    course, the Germans are arrogant. The Spanish are bottlers, The Ivory
    Coast are fast but bad at defending, The Angolans are disorganised,
    The Argentinians are cheats and the French are only good because their best
    players play in England.

12 - For matches not involving England, we must only discuss the
    players that are playing in England. (eg - Holland v Argentina should be
    referred to as Van Nistelroy v Crespo).

13 - The mythical "bulldog spirit" phrase should be used as often as
    possible.

14 - Each match involving England should begin with the phrase "England Expects."

15 - Should any player be involved in an injury that involves the loss
    of teeth, then references to Nobby Stiles and 1966 are compulsory.

16 - If in doubt, mention 1966.

17 - Praise all of the stunning new stadiums in Germany but emphasise
    that they lack the presence of Wembley, the spiritual home of football since

18 - Commentators should feel free to imitate the style of Kenneth
    Wolstenholme, the hero of 1966.

19 - Should any team feature brothers playing together, then Jackie and Bobby Charlton should be mentioned.

20 - When England bow out after the first stage, we must emphasise that
    it is a massive blow to football and a serious loss to the World Cup.

:D

NFL
    I find it strange that not one Englishman has contradicted your post. Could it be that they might, just might, know that you are right ?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FHM wrote:
    That is not always the case.
    The only exception is matches broadcast via BBCi. All other times, Scotland get a BBC Scotland produced programme; England/Wales/NI get a BBC "National" produced programme.

A good example, was when the BBC had the rights to show Old Firm Derbies throughout the UK. In Scotland, we got Rob MacLean and Sandy Clark in the commentary box; everyone else got Steve Wilson and Mark Bright (with the exception of the last game shown, but that was via BBCi).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only exception is matches broadcast via BBCi. All other times, Scotland get a BBC Scotland produced programme; England/Wales/NI get a BBC "National" produced programme.

A good example, was when the BBC had the rights to show Old Firm Derbies throughout the UK. In Scotland, we got Rob MacLean and Sandy Clark in the commentary box; everyone else got Steve Wilson and Mark Bright (with the exception of the last game shown, but that was via BBCi).

Do Sky not have Scottish commentators for Scottish games anymore, or do they not show them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only show the Scottish cup, and as i recall it's usually an English commentator, with a Scottish summarisor