Top-up's new push content?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clavius_uk wrote:
    If I was, say, LivingTV I'd see if I could force my way onto one of the streams that's going to stay "live", so their channel was a proper, actual, channel on TUTV.
    Well I suppose they could use some of the Ftn overnight bandwidth for their content if they did want to do that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I suppose they could use some of the Ftn overnight bandwidth for their content if they did want to do that.

How do you think it's going to work? D'you reckon you'll just look at your night-time EPG listings and record what you want, or if it'll be a forced download - the whole block of programming there on your HD and you just delete what you don't want?
    The reason I'm a little confused is because there was mention that this downloaded content would become available to the viewer at "8pm every day". Which sounds like it'll download overnight but will access will somehow be withheld till the appointed time.

*Puzzled*
  • Options
    BoinngBoinng Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    clavius_uk wrote:
    The reason I'm a little confused is because there was mention that this downloaded content would become available to the viewer at "8pm every day". Which sounds like it'll download overnight but will access will somehow be withheld till the appointed time.

Where was that mentioned? I'm puzzled by a lot of the statements people are making about this - as far as I'm aware there's been nothing even vaguely official to suggest this is anything other than a standard PVR working in the standard PVR way. Who knows different?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clavius_uk wrote:
    How do you think it's going to work? D'you reckon you'll just look at your night-time EPG listings and record what you want, or if it'll be a forced download - the whole block of programming there on your HD and you just delete what you don't want?

*Puzzled*
    The only comment I've seen directly sourced from Top Up TV is in The Mail where Chance said "you currently have acces to 5 programmes at 8.00pm but Anytime will give you access to 30." and obviously on their website.

I can't see how that implies that you won't be able to watch the programmes until 8pm. That lead onto the programmes being availble early on Top Up TV Anytime specualtion - which frankly is very unrealistic.

Ayway this surgest only 30 programmes at a time (why would he underestimate it in a paper) and stored for one night (from what he said). Assuming 40 mins long on avearge that's 20 hours a night, if they keep their current slots overnight then that's a 4 hour download - without any extra compression - so current PVR's could get it and it would count as video for sure. Which is reasonable. It's also only going to accunt for only about 22 GB by my calucations. So a single tuner 40Gb PVR could allow the service to work and also allow Freeview channels to be buffered and recorded (most of the time - not during download). Having a basic box like this would minimise costs.

Frankly it would be insane for them to only offer a 160GB Twin tuner PVR - it would cost more than nessiary on a service whose equipment costs are bound to put people off already, and to meat the £100 to existing subsribers price would need a huge subsidy - arround £70 I recon which would wip out months of subsriptions and make it almost impossible to make money on the service.

Sure it makes sence to offer this as a mroe expensive option, but making a high spec PVR the standard box would just be stupid, putting many amny people off - remeber basic Sky for a year is under £150, putting standard eqipment costs unessiarily beyond this would just be insane.
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO, If you have to pick the programmes yourself manually, I can see this being a big flop
    It needs to be automated so that it records the complete streams

It does seem like a backward step to me

Currently I can watch tutv live or record something for later, what benefit do I get from only being able to record the streams
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where does the twin tuner 160 GB PVR come from BTY? I'd have thought it would make sence to have a smaller hard drive (40Gb perhaps, that woudl easily fit the 30 programmes Chance mentioned) single tuner as the standard box as well as a better specified premium one, as price of equipment is going to put people off anyway, they will want to minimise it.

That information was from www.topupyourfreeview.co.uk

All the information you are discussing was mentioned in the original TopUp Anytime thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronnie1333 wrote:
    That information was from www.topupyourfreeview.co.uk

All the information you are discussing was mentioned in the original TopUp Anytime thread.
    Doesn't anyone realise that a person that was banned from these forums does not consititue a reliable source?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't anyone realise that a person that was banned from these forums does not consititue a reliable source?

Its no worse than the speculation on here regarding TopUp TV Active. :D :rolleyes: :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with quoting that source of information?....there's no reason for the website owner to post false truths...he never did when he was on the forum. Also he has a subscription to Broadcast Now...so probs has more information than alot of us here....and a good rapport with the guys at TUTV...hence getting the quote.
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with quoting that source of information?....there's no reason for the website owner to post false truths...he never did when he was on the forum. Also he has a subscription to Broadcast Now...so probs has more information than alot of us here....and a good rapport with the guys at TUTV...hence getting the quote.

So he did not post that Sky Mix was coming to TUTV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote:

At the time he posted it TopUp TV "might" have told him that it was, so he posted it, if things changed because of contract difficulties etc then thats not posting misinformation is it?, he would have posted it in good faith.

Give him the benefit of the doubt. :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote:
    I dunno...find me the quote and I'll have a look at the posters name and tell you
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno...find me the quote and I'll have a look at the posters name and tell you

Here I dunno...find me the quote and I'll have a look at the posters name and tell you there were other threads where he claimed that it was "probably" coming to TUTV

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=228124&highlight=Sky+Mix

He also in his incarnation as digital monkey said E4 would never ever go FTA as that it was too good then as TopUp TV lover incarnation claiming the channel was rubbish
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote:
    Here I dunno...find me the quote and I'll have a look at the posters name and tell you there were other threads where he claimed that it was "probably" coming to TUTV

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=228124&highlight=Sky+Mix

He also in his incarnation as digital monkey said E4 would never ever go FTA as that it was too good then as TopUp TV lover incarnation claiming the channel was rubbish

He only said "maybe" in that quote, he did not state it as fact, it was speculation, just like a 80% of the posts on here.
    If not then maybe Top up TV are going to add Sky One (mix) soon ;)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted this on another couple of Top Up Tv Anytime threads , so may as well put it here as well.

I just had an email questionaire from Top Up offering to enter you into a prize draw in return for answering some questions.
    skp20040 wrote:
    Don't know if anyone else has had one , Top Up have just sent out a questionaire .

Basically asking about what you would like to see etc.

For example asking why you subscribe etc

It asks what are your top three channels you watch on Top Up at the moment.

It then goes on to ask if you are knowledgable about PVR's and if you have considered getting one

It then asks which of the following would be of interest then you mark it from Very Interesting down to Not at All Interesting , the sections they ask you to comment on in this bit are

The best of the last weeks terrestrial TV for optional £5 a month
    Movie Service for optional £5 a month
    Increased number of channels
    Ability to pause and rewind live TV
    Watch programmes whenever you want
    Watch 100 programems every week

They then ask which would you prefer

A PVR box and no further subscription charge
    or a Heavily discounted box and a 1 year subscription

They then ask you to choose three of the following which you would be interested in having

Living Tv
    Paramount Comedy
    MTV
    Hallmark
    National Geographic
    Nickelodian
    Best of last weeks terrestrial
    Movie Service ( 1 well known modern movie per night )

And thats it apart from the normal age and name stuff oh and they enter you into a competition to win an LCD TV

I would imagine these must be the channels they are thinking of having as they dont leave any space for you tell you what you would like to see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has his "good rapport" ever actually reveled anything that wasn't public before, that actually came to fruition (incudling the fact it hasnt come to frution - he never seemed to know that before it was public that something else had happened)? I can't recall anything. Also other people on here have subsriptions to Broadcast Now and quote it, I'm sure one of them would quote any specifics.

My issue wasn't with quoting it - thats fine - just raising the point it might in fact not be true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My issue wasn't with quoting it - thats fine - just raising the point it might in fact not be true.
    if a person quotes an article, they can't be blamed if it provides mis-information
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if a person quotes an article, they can't be blamed if it provides mis-information
    Who am I blaiming?

All I am saying is people are saying that it is a twin tuner and 160 GB hard drive as though that is an established fact. I question this, and think it's important people realsie the lack of evidence for it.

I have no complaints about the person origonanlly quoting it, or anyone on these forums, it's just the length of the treads on it mean seem to have lost sight of the limitations of the source.