Important info for Sky+ users with AV amps

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
Does anybody have any experience with the Pioneer VSA701S Surround Sound Amp? Neither of the Pioneer codes work - neither of my Sky+ remotes will even accept 0297 :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you followed the instructions correctly? See http://www.hummer.co.uk/remote-setup.htm for a copy.

Even when it does work it's of little value unless you can always remeber to cover the remotes IR window with your hand when you press TV to adjust the volume of your amp.

Automan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks, but that's where I got the codes from that I'm trying. I've been through almost every code on the list - is seems that one of the most common codes (0297) isn't supported by either of my Sky+ RCU's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Well, I was bored tonight so I sat down with my RCU and tried everything starting from 0000... and by the time I got to 0328 I found one that worked :) The navigation keys did indeed turn my Pioneer on and off and work the volume :)

But wait, there's more. I decided to tinker a bit further to see if I could achieve anything else and I think I've answered the prayers of all AV Amp users - a way to make the volume control on the RCU operate the AV amp :D

Here it is. In TV mode, hold down Select and 1 until the RCU blinks twice. Now my Volume and Mute operate the AV amp and not the TV - in both TV and Sky mode!!! What's more, in TV mode the Rewind, Play and Stop keys control other functions on my AV amp!!! :D

If you want to return to normal, hold down Select and 2 until the RCU blinks twice. Now the RCU goes back to operating the TV as before and not the AV amp - but hey, who wants this?!

Y'all have fun now :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent, for two reasons.

- The code that you found works is the same for mine.
    - I have been looking for a way of controlling the volume of the AV Amp by the volume controls for ages.

Also, while in the select+1 mode, navigation up / down controls the TV volumes.

EDIT: Also found that while in TV mode, Stop button selects source on the amplifier and Rewind selects DSP Mode. Sadly I can't find keys that select Dolby mode.

Phil
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by abailey
    But wait, there's more. I decided to tinker a bit further to see if I could achieve anything else and I think I've answered the prayers of all AV Amp users - a way to make the volume control on the RCU operate the AV amp :D

Here it is. In TV mode, hold down Select and 1 until the RCU blinks twice. Now my Volume and Mute operate the AV amp and not the TV - in both TV and Sky mode!!! What's more, in TV mode the Rewind, Play and Stop keys control other functions on my AV amp!!! :D
    Y'all have fun now :p
    Well abailey you are indeed a genius, and I owe you a pint! Spurred on by your success I was tempted to try your brute force attack method again. I'd tried once before, but got bored around 200. I have a Sherwood R956 amp, but the 0530 code listed doesn't work.

I began by sampling the IR codes produced by the 0530 setting into my pronto, and it has the same carrier frequency as my Sherwood remote it’s just that the bit data is different (manufacturer code and key code). I assumed that similar IR signatures might just have been grouped together, so began at 0500 and worked up. I found the following code on the way:
    0505 – Same frequency and code layout as 0503, wrong manufacturer and key codes
    but 0519 – WORKS!

My only problem is that pressing and holding the volume keys does not auto-repeat. I have to keep pressing and releasing the button to increase the volume.

Also the Select 1 “punch through” also gets my mute and volume working in Sky mode as you describe. I am so, so happy! :):):D

Some advice for anyone attempting to try the same:
     Go for it!
     Try codes around the code number listed for your amp on this page
     If the remote doesn’t blink twice then that’s not a valid code number, so no point trying it
     If you have a learning remote that will let you view the captured IR use it. Look for IR code patterns similar to the one you require.
     Make a note of any codes which blink twice on the way, even if they don't work for you – It may help someone else find the code they are looking for.

Automan – who owns the http://www.hummer.co.uk/remote-setup.htm web site? Is it you? Can we get it updated with these codes we have found?

BTW I have a Sky Rev 4 remote I think. At least that’s what it says inside the battery cover. Of course it could just be the version number of the label!:confused:
    Forum Member
    BTW, can anyone confirm what the following setup keys do?

Press and hold SELECT+YELLOW (2 flashes) then:
    0 SELECT (2 flashes) - Sets the remote to a standard Sky RMC?
    1 SELECT (2 flashes) - Sets the remote back to Sky+?

Press and hold SELECT+BLUE (2 flashes) then:
    0, 1, 2 or 3 and SELECT - I've no idea what any of these settings are for!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Automan – who owns the http://www.hummer.co.uk/remote-setup.htm web site? Is it you? Can we get it updated with these codes we have found?

As it says on the page top, AlanJ - Digital Spy Guru and there were originally posted on the Digital Spy site by Alan.

Automan.
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Automan
    As it says on the page top, AlanJ - Digital Spy Guru and there were originally posted on the Digital Spy site by Alan.
    Automan.
    Cheers! But to me, the page title would seem to imply that the information was provided by AlanJ, but has been reproduced on someone elses site for information?

However nowhere on that site can I find any contact details for the owner, but if it is AlanJ I'm sure he'll read this and get it updated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by pcbbc
    BTW, can anyone confirm what the following setup keys do?

Press and hold SELECT+YELLOW (2 flashes) then:
    0 SELECT (2 flashes) - Sets the remote to a standard Sky RMC?
    1 SELECT (2 flashes) - Sets the remote back to Sky+?

Press and hold SELECT+BLUE (2 flashes) then:
    0, 1, 2 or 3 and SELECT - I've no idea what any of these settings are for!

Select and yellow is used to change a Sky+ to a Sky- remote.

This is used with the Sky keyboard and Sky Navigator remote control to match them to the relevant digibox.

Automan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers! But to me, the page title would seem to imply that the information was provided by AlanJ, but has been reproduced on someone elses site for information?

However nowhere on that site can I find any contact details for the owner, but if it is AlanJ I'm sure he'll read this and get it updated.

AlanJ got this information from Sky.
    It was at that time posted at the DigitalSpy but I can't find it :(

The new discovered features also works with the new Sky Navigator remote :)

I get auto-repeat with my Amp volume as well :)

However they don't work with my two original Sky+ remotes that date back to the product launch.

Thus I suspect this new feature must have been added later and this maybe why AlanJ article did not mention it.

Automan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by Automan

However they don't work with my two original Sky+ remotes that date back to the product launch.

Aha! I thought I was going mad. My Sky+ is an early model and the select+1 trick doesn't work. :cry:

The new discovered features also works with the new Sky Navigator remote

I'm tempted to buy a new remote now, as I really really want this feature.

How does the Navigator compare in size/weight to a normal Sky+ remote?
    Forum Member
    Okay, I've tested every AV code in my Version 4 Sky+ remote from 1 to 1750 (yes that did take a while!). There could be some codes above 1750, but it didn't seem likely. Anyway, here are the results:
    [B]New codes:[/B]
    [I]Make	Code[/I]
    ?	0163
    ?	0171
    Pioneer	0328
    ?	0349
    ?	0382
    ?	0388
    ?	0505
    Sherwood	0519
    ?	0717
    ?	0869
    ?	0870
    ?	0876
    ?	0899
    ?	1027
    ?	1051
    ?	1132
    ?	1188
    ?	1212
    ?	1282
    ?	1382
    ?	1388

[B]Deleted codes:[/B]
    [I]Make	Code[/I]
    Inkel	0055
    Kenwood	0055
    Aiwa	0186
    Sony	0186
    Arcam	0297
    Audiolab	0297
    Bat	0297
    Bush	0297
    Goldmund	0297
    Grundig	0297
    Linn	0297
    Marantz	0297
    Mark	0297
    Meridian	0297
    Micromega	0297
    Myryad	0297
    Naim	0297
    Philips	0297
    Pioneer	0297
    Quad	0297
    Revox	0297
    Thorens	0297
    Universum	0297
    Panasonic	0336
    Kenwood	0341
    Kenwood	0342
    Mafui	0342
    Pace	0828
    Amstrad	0830
    Goodmans	1081
    Schneider	1081

Hopefully the above will be of use to anyone trying to get their Sky+ remote to work with their AV amp. Unfortunately I didn't manage to find a code which would auto-repeat correctly when I hold down volume +/- on my Sherwood amp. :(

Anyway, if you try any of the above new codes and it works with your Amp, don't forget to post back and say which model so we can fill in the blanks. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I've tested every AV code in my Version 4 Sky+ remote from 1 to 1750 (yes that did take a while!). There could be some codes above 1750, but it didn't seem likely. Anyway, here are the results:

[snipped]

Hopefully the above will be of use to anyone trying to get their Sky+ remote to work with their AV amp. Unfortunately I didn't manage to find a code which would auto-repeat correctly when I hold down volume +/- on my Sherwood amp. :(

Anyway, if you try any of the above new codes and it works with your Amp, don't forget to post back and say which model so we can fill in the blanks. :)
    Excellent work pcbbc!! Bet your fingers are a bit sore now!! Treat yourself to a cool beer!

Phil
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I use a Marantz 5300 amp, having used 1217 code it set to use arrow keys and after select + 1 trick works the amp perfectly using Volume + & -.

Thanks ABAILEY - Top Job.

My question is why don't sky publicise this info it's a selling point in it's own right!!
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Scotch_Egg
    I use a Marantz 5300 amp, having used 1217 code it set to use arrow keys and after select + 1 trick works the amp perfectly using Volume + & -.

Thanks ABAILEY - Top Job.

My question is why don't sky publicise this info it's a selling point in it's own right!!
    It's a complete mystery! I really like to know if they spec'ed this when the remote was designed, or it was just an extra "feature" thrown in by the designers. I think I heard someone mention that the Sky remote was desgined by One4All, and so would have similar capabilities to some of their product lines? Even perhaps the same codes?

The only reason I can think that Sky would withold it is that the normal Sky remote do not support AV amps at all, nor do the early Sky+ remotes support the volume punch through. For support purposes they wish to keep things as simple and standard as possible. Not a valid excuse my my book!
    Forum Member
    The Sky+ Remotes are made by Universal Electronics, who also happen to own the One4All brands.
    Notice the similarity? ;)
    There's a press release on their relationship with Sky on their web site here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Hi All,

Man I got so excited when I saw this thread!! ..... I have a Sony STRB1070 and have dreamt of using the volume control on my Sky+RCU .....

Then I saw the bit about the old remotes don't work! .... Arghh :cry:

So .... I took a look at some websites that sold the standard Sky+ remotes for about £22 .... my question to you guys who are definately "in the know" .... are the remotes they are selling likely to be the later versions of the remote that will support the select+1 feature?

I wonder If i called them if they would know about these newer remotes that support the new features .... anyone out there with any experience?

Thanks!!:D .... I know there is now hope .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a gamble - depends on how old their stock is and when they made the change.

You could always order the Navigator which does have the feature http://skybuy.sky.com/searchResult.asp?STR=SKYBUY,SKYPROD,,,SA0007,,&searchText=&searchType=&pageNumber=2

Good luck whichever option you go for....

Automan.
    Forum Member
    Hi Automan!

I think I'm beginning to understand it all now ......:D

Just changed my remote to code 0186 (Sony STRB1070) and, with the TV mode on, can use the page up / down buttons to control the AV volume.

Very Cool :D:D

But then I have to press SKY to get the box control back.

So I guess that the new remotes (with select+1) let you have this feature directly with the volume +/- .... could be worth a £20 odd investment!;)

Must show the wife this feature ...... I know she'll be soooooooo impressed! :confused:

Thanks again!

Kev
    Forum Member
    Hmmm ... so I went out this morning to try and get my hands on a new (v4?) Sky+ remote.

Stepped into a "Sky Dealer" and tried his "latest delivery of remotes - about 3 months old" - it didn't have the select+1 feature and appeared to be just like my own remote.:(

Popped into Dixons and their demo box remote also didn't have the feature:( - to be expected here I guess as this box has probably sat on the shelf for over a year.

So ... does anyone know a retailer that would be able to RELIABLY (i.e. they know about the new versions of the remote and know about the new features and wouldn't just ship out any old sky+ remote) supply the new remote?

I'm tempted to ring up Sky and try and get one from them ... but then would they really know about this?? :confused:

The search continues .......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midnight,
    Was the remote control set to control a amp before you tried the Select 1 (in TV mode)?

I don't think it works (even on a new remote) until a code for a amp is entered into the remote.

Automan.
  • DeanparkrDeanparkr Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any codes for the sony av htsl5a?
    Forum Member
    Hi Automan,

I think it was set ....:confused:

Here's what I did to the one in the house .. and then tried in the shop.

1. Press TV
    2. Press Select + 0 - wait for double flash
    3. Entered code 0186 (This is a Sony code i got from the site mentioned earlier in this thread)
    4. Got a double flash to confirm code.
    5. Hit Sky to get it back to normal sky control
    6. Press TV
    7 Using the page up / down keys controls my amp - so i think it's now in "amp mode control".
    8 Press Select +1 ... nothing happens.

So I can control my amp but I have to go through TV / SKY go to go in and out of the mode.

This is the method I tried in the shop - It appeared to behave in the same way as my house remote.

Is this the correct way to set this up? ... or this some step I'm getting confused with or out of sync?

I've seen the remotes that have the keypad - these are supposed to work I understand - my question is how comfotable are these remotes? - i don't know if I'd find the hinge on the side annoying or not?

Thanks for your help!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Midnight
    Hi Automan,

I think it was set ....:confused:

Here's what I did to the one in the house .. and then tried in the shop.

1. Press TV
    2. Press Select + 0 - wait for double flash
    3. Entered code 0186 (This is a Sony code i got from the site mentioned earlier in this thread)
    4. Got a double flash to confirm code.
    5. Hit Sky to get it back to normal sky control
    6. Press TV
    7 Using the page up / down keys controls my amp - so i think it's now in "amp mode control".
    8 Press Select +1 ... nothing happens.

So I can control my amp but I have to go through TV / SKY go to go in and out of the mode.

This is the method I tried in the shop - It appeared to behave in the same way as my house remote.

Is this the correct way to set this up? ... or this some step I'm getting confused with or out of sync?

I've seen the remotes that have the keypad - these are supposed to work I understand - my question is how comfotable are these remotes? - i don't know if I'd find the hinge on the side annoying or not?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, that's the correct seqence....

I note that at the Skybuy site they don't list the normal Sky+ remote!

The Sky navigator used just for sky+ features is slightly worse than a normal sky+ remote.

1. Hinge on right side makes it less comforable to hold.
    2. Smaller buttons are stiffer to push as all top keys have to push buttons on the lower qwerty keyboard.
    3. Runs on 4 x 'aaa' batteries.

It may be worth trying http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page3.htm

His price is £24.97 inc delivery and I think he posts at the Digital Spy and thus could maybe confirm his stock is okay for this feature.

Automan.
    Forum Member
    Holy Cow!! :eek: 4xaaa batteries!! ..... I may aswell start buying job lots!

Hmmm ..... I have to admit the Sky remote is fairly comfortable ... the Navigator just "looked" like it wasn't going to be as comfortable - never held one - but it's just a gut feeling (it's that hinge! ;) )

I guess for the time being I'll stick with the TV / SKY pressing to change the volume ... what they hey! ... it's a step up from having to hunt around the amp remote! :D

Thanks again for your help! -- invaluable!

Maybe sometime in the near future some out there will find a dealer who can supply these newer remotes easily - when they do I'll be buying one!

Enjoy the heatwave! :cool: