Grundig digibox keeps switching off since EPG 3.2.11

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Any News?

The constant freezes followed by power downs are driving me crazy.
    Forum Member
    Similar problem? :confused:
    My Grundig box (4yrs old again - same software upgrade) switched off 5days ago. No power - no lights on the front.

Luckily we had just moved house so there was a new 3 month warrenty :eek: Engineer came to visit yesterday - Easter Sunday. During his telephone call in the morning to tell me the time of his visit, we hd a power cut for a few seconds. When I put the phone down, the digibox was cured! :D

When he arrived physically, the technician could offer no explanation and gave it a quick check over! All fine (but for how long?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I have now had my free replacement reconditioned Grundig (now a 2.41 rather than 2.55) running the older 3.1a.5 software for 3 weeks and I have had none of the irritating random power offs I had under epg 3.2.11.

I have had one rather less serious irrritant elsewhere, but have now had 3 follow-up calls from the same sky helpdesk person trying to sort the problem out for me.

I reported the new problem through e-mail, as with my previous problem. I think that allows them to look into it rather than phoning the help desk, where they don't have everything at there fingertips, so forcing them into a corner, when they say "nothing to do with us, guv", so I really recommend the e-mail approach.
    Forum Member
    After telling Sky that I was going to go over to Freeview I had a free visit from an engineer who replaced my Grundig box with a Panasonic (with old software). So far - no further problems!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    new bug on the new software (pace) tv listings perm or intemmitantly showing searching for listings,sky techies working on a patch,informed by sky am today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Trevor C wrote:
    [snip]

I reported the new problem through e-mail, as with my previous problem. I think that allows them to look into it rather than phoning the help desk, where they don't have everything at there fingertips, so forcing them into a corner, when they say "nothing to do with us, guv", so I really recommend the e-mail approach.

Could you tell us the email address you used?

Looks like I was lucky to move house when I did, because my Grundig 300 box missed the update. Let us hope they fix these problems with a further s/w update.

Miles
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    My old Grundig box today shows the new EPGsoftware (3.11) with software version 1.2.S.4.F.3.
    A Friend's Pace Box is showing 1.2.S.4.F.1 .
    Is this the long awaited Fix for Grundig???
    Forum Member
    Still crashing... :cry:

Anyone know if it is possible to downgrade the software?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    ever since my box was updated, it crashes once or twice a day

I have a Grimdig box, and upto before the updates my box was solid as a rock, no crashing in the 4 years which i have had it.

I phoned $ky tech and guy say they dont know of any problems with the software, he said that i could get an engineer out for £65 and he will fix or replace the box.

But i am still adiment that there is nothing wrong with my box, has anyone had any problems with a grimdig box, i have the latest EPG version 3.2 and my box is always on 24/7.

Do i need a new box or wot'

Thanks
    i have a panasonic box , it has been freezing only since the last week
    it seems since the new epg software
    we need an expert advise
    thks n.g
  • mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    had it happen once or twice on a gds2000
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Interesting. I've just joined the forum but I've been having Sky problems for some time. I used to have a Grundig box and it was fine for a couple of years but then started to freeze and switch to standby randomly. The box wasn't in a cabinet or anything.

Calls to Sky didn't resolve (or reveal) anything and in the end they sent out an engineer.

I now have a Pace box (refurbished I think because it's an old model according to Pace's website) but problems persist.

I don't know if this was the same with the Grundig (because I didn't really pay attention) but the funny thing is that the 'switch to standby' problem seems to have 'time' element to it. It can switch off randomly at times but a lot of the time it switches off at EXACTLY the same time of day.

I racked my brain about this but I have nothing in the house (themostat etc.) that coincides with this and just to make sure I put a mains filter on the digibox to prevent any problems.

Sky confirmed (if I believe them0 that there is no means of an external signal turning the box off (not entirely true since as a remote control extension via RF2 is possible this could be a way for it to happen). I do not have the SCART or RF2 connected at the moment.

RF2 is not in use because I noticed a 1 second 'pulse' from it was interfering with the TV vision and sound.

EPG version is 3.1a.5 and the box is on all the time (well, I leave it on, it turns itself off). Phone line is not connected.

Sky are no help ('Ooh, that's odd' and that's about it) so I don't know where I go from here.

So if it's external and apparently timed, that leaves the EPG but my version is earlier than the one that seems to be causing problems with people here.

The problem seems to occur at a few minutes past 7 O'clock in the evening (occasionally 7 in the morning).

Does anyone know if any 'event' happens at this time?

The box also occasionnally freezes completely (ie needs complete power down and reboot) when switching channels using the UP/DOWN button on ITV (103). Whether this is an editorial comment or another bug is open to question :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What model Pace is it? and the version SERVICES 4,5 ?

Do you start to view at those times, 7 in the a.m. and 7 in the p.m.?

Is that the time of sun up and sun down? Is there a special type of light in proximity to the box?

Does someone switch their car on at these times close by?

Is there a microwave link somewhere that you can see?
    Forum Member
    philip24 wrote:
    What model Pace is it? and the version SERVICES 4,5 ?

Do you start to view at those times, 7 in the a.m. and 7 in the p.m.?

Is that the time of sun up and sun down? Is there a special type of light in proximity to the box?

Does someone switch their car on at these times close by?

Is there a microwave link somewhere that you can see?

Haven't looked up the model number but on screen it is 1.3Z8 Version 9F0306.

Services No??

I don't start to view at those times (box is always on) and don't need to be changing channels for it to happen. Isn't sun up or down, no special lights, no car activity and no microwave links close by and certainly no new ones which would account for this being a fairly recent thing.

Were their any spurious noise locally (from neighbours etc) I would expect the mains filter to take it out and maybe also to be able to see something in terms of visual/audible interference.

Just don't get it but suspect Sky might be able to shed more light but won't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably a Pace 2500B which does has a ZIF tuner.

Does the signal quality drop to zero?

there is some further info. here
    Forum Member
    Signal seems OK (far as I can tell before and after box goes off). Luckily box is still under warranty so I think I'm going to call them out again and keep on at them till I get a box that works (not Grundig or Pace?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can borrow someone else's box and put it on your system before consulting Sky or whoever, then at least you will have a better idea of what's wrong.

The sling-me -a-line technique is more difficult then.