Options

Problem Recording NTSC on DVD Recorder.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 994
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a motorised satellite system and I occasionally want to record from a US based channel which is in NTSC.

I have a worldwide standards VCR which does the job fine, but I'm moving away from tape based recording as much as I can now.

My DVD recorder is an LG DVR 4810..it handles NTSC just fine on playback, but when I try to record, I don't get a watchable picture. I'm recording via the composite inputs on the front panel which is connected directly to my satellite receiver.

I'm sure NTSC recording is possible with this machine..I know you cannot mix PAL and NTSC on the same disc, but I'm trying to use a brand new, fresh out of the wrapper DVD-RW.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    phelingsphelings Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the good old 15 west feed?
    NTSC would usually only record via a Scart input(but not always).Even if your phono outputs were fine there are 2 possible ways to look at it.
    Is the LG their own design?Or is it based on another more well known model?Certain makes,like Toshiba have problems with NTSC,while Pnasonic record it fine,and Philips and Pioneer will even record PAL 60.As your vcr is recording it ok I assume the output from the satellite is NTSC not PAL 60.Is your vcr set torecord NTSC or PAL 60?
    But the most likely answer is that somewhere in your LG setup menu there will be a tv system set up.Both Pioneer and Panasonic will play NTSC without problem-however,to record it you need to alter the tv system to NTSC or 525 line-maybe LG is the same.Let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep ..that's the one..lots of new series starting in the next month

After I posted the original question, I looked up some review of this model. One said it wouldn't record NTSC, but then the rest of the review was full of innacuracies so I'm not convinced it's correct.

The satelite receiver has an 'auto' mode, so whatever signal type comes in, it passes it through. I can change it to NTSC-M but it makes no difference.

There is no actual TV system set up mode on the LG- it asks you to set a country code, and I've tried changing that to U S from U K. I've tried a straight receiver to recorder scart connection and I've tried every combination of scart sockets-still no joy. I get a perfect picture going from the receiver to the TV via my AV amp, and it even appears in full screen mode going via the TV tuner too.

I'm beginning to think this recorder won't record an NTSC source..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It won't record NTSC, just read it in the manual..damn..WHY do they put restrictions like this on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be based around Toshiba as all others record NTSC,even Philips
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep...The Mico I had (which I've now passed on to relatives) wrote it without any problems..

Another black mark on this machine then...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phelings wrote:
    Is this the good old 15 west feed?

Sorry to hijack the topic but what channels programming can you get at that location? Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll PM the details to you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15 west is the NBC feed.Evenings usually consist of a complete feed from the US NBC network including ads.While they were going ,episodes of Frasier and Friends could be seen months in advance of their UK screening.The transmission is,of course,NTSC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sssh..it;ll go off!!!