Panasonic DMR E55 DVD Recorder - faults??

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Chris G.
    Thanks for your input. Your "out of balance" theory is a good suggestion but unfortunately not the answer to my problem. The noise occurs on all of my RAM discs and DVD-R.
    Thanks anyway.
    Cheers.
    Chris D.
  • FishfaceFishface Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if damping* material would help cure vibrations from the dvd drive. No idea where you would get it though.

*As used in this Rotel cd player...

http://www.geocities.com/eur1gys/Rotel_RCD_971_images.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen the model listed as DMRE55EBS and just DMRE55 - are these two different models, and if so, what is the difference?

Also, it doesn't happen to be multi-region does it?
  • FishfaceFishface Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ang wrote:
    I have seen the model listed as DMRE55EBS and just DMRE55 - are these two different models?

No. DMRE55 is simply shorthand for the other AFAIK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jswift909 wrote:
    How do you buy from Costco in the UK? Do you have to go to their local stores. The costco.co.uk url doesn't work. Do you think you can order over the phone and get it delivered?
    You need a membership, either trade or individual. The cost of the annual membership is well worth it. It's buying from the warehouses only, no delivery.
  • oldieoldie Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    To Ang & Fishface.
    For your info. The EBS suffix indicates the unit will work in England, Scotland & Wales and it's silver in colour. I believe there is another version for Ireland where I think there are still VHF TV transmissions as well as UHF. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    oldie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Just to verify what was posted earlier, this machine is now just £140 plus VAT at Costco, if you use their special voucher book. This price only applies until Sunday, when it will revert to £165 plus VAT.

The machine gets a rating of 90% in the current edition of What Home Cinema, based on a price of £300.

I just bought one and will report back in due course...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Fishface,
    Nice idea regarding the damping material. I have tried extra rubber pads under the unit's existing rubber feet but still no joy.
    Anyway, the good news is Panasonic UK have finally responded to my e mail offering to repair or exchange the unit. They've even offered to collect the unit via a contractor.
    My only concern here is that i paid extra to have my unit converted to multi region before despatch, and i'm not sure if this will invalidate the warranty.
    Does anyone know if multi region conversion affects the warranty?
    Cheers.
    Chris.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £140 + VAT is just too good to pass up... Costco, here I come....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I apologize in advance for asking this question, as I should know but I don't... If I want to make recordings on the E55 which I can then look at using my PC DVD drive, which format would I use, -R or RAM? Or would they both work? Or would neither work? The DVD recorder on the PC says "DVD+ReWriteable". I assume that means it creates DVD+RW format, but it can presumably playback other formats... ???
  • tichtichtichtich Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "DVD+ReWriteable" means it can only write to DVD+R and DVD+RW. It should be able to play DVD-R. It certainly won't play DVD-RAM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought it on Friday, set up was very easy. I haven't been able to get a picture through AV2 hooked to my Fusion FVRT100 yet though... I didn't think to buy a decent scart lead while I was at Costco, and I'm pretty sure the problem is that the scart lead I've got is not very good. I'm going to get a good scart today and see what happens. My analogue signal is terrible for BBC2 and CH4, so I really need it to pick up the Freeview, which is perfect. I also want to be able to archive to DVD from the Fusion HD.