Options

Audio description instead of normal audio on ITV1

NosferatuNosferatu Posts: 119
Forum Member
Hello all,

Is everyone else on Crystal Palace getting audio description instead of normal audio on ITV1 at the moment (The Bill), or is it something wrong with my Sony STB?

Comments

• Options
    NosferatuNosferatu Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Maybe something with my Sony STB. Pressed i+ button then red for 'Audio' and selected 'English'. Normal audio started. Strange because 'English' was the only option. No idea why it was doing audio description instead, can't get it back in that state. Anyone else had the same problem?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Nosferatu wrote:
    Hello all,

Is everyone else on Crystal Palace getting audio description instead of normal audio on ITV1 at the moment (The Bill), or is it something wrong with my Sony STB?

Same problem here, also with Sony STB and CP, on both ITV1 & ITV2.

However my older Grundig GDT1000 STB is working ok.

Glyn
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nosferatu wrote:
    Maybe something with my Sony STB. Pressed i+ button then red for 'Audio' and selected 'English'. Normal audio started. Strange because 'English' was the only option. No idea why it was doing audio description instead, can't get it back in that state. Anyone else had the same problem?

Brilliant, thanks. The i+ and audio reselection worked here although if I go up a channel to CH4 and back to ITV1 its back to AD.

In desperation I had rescanned the Sony without any improvement.

Glyn
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Mine also, followed the above thread, reslected 'English' Audio now working correctly on both ITV1 and 2, not sured what happened, anybody got any ideas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mine also, when I select another channel and go back to either ITV1 or 2, no Audio
    again anybody have any idea what's happening
  • Options
    Forum Member
    risky3301 wrote:
    Mine also, when I select another channel and go back to either ITV1 or 2, no Audio
    again anybody have any idea what's happening

I have a suspision that NTL are rolling out new code & mux equipment on the ITV part of Mux2. I think that in doing this thay have changed something that is upsetting the Sony STB.

My best guess would be that they have changed the order of the audio components in the program map table, putting the AD audio in front of the main audio. In theory this should not cause a problem as the AD should be signalled as a specific audio type that should be ignored by a non-AD capable STB but then the Sony might not be checking the audio type.

Have you also noticed that the subtitles on ITV1 look a bit larger than normal?

Glyn
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GlynM wrote:
    I have a suspision that NTL are rolling out new code & mux equipment on the ITV part of Mux2. I think that in doing this thay have changed something that is upsetting the Sony STB.

My best guess would be that they have changed the order of the audio components in the program map table, putting the AD audio in front of the main audio. In theory this should not cause a problem as the AD should be signalled as a specific audio type that should be ignored by a non-AD capable STB but then the Sony might not be checking the audio type.

Have you also noticed that the subtitles on ITV1 look a bit larger than normal?

Glyn

I have emailed 'Sony' detailing the problem, hopefully they will get back to me sometime tomorrow, when they do I post there response here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Finally recieved a response from SONY,

Dear Mr
    Thank you for your enquiry.

This was a transmitter issue in the London area and not a Freeview box issue. It shuld have been been corrected by the broadcastor now.

Yours sincerely,
    Jonathan Smith
    Customer Service Advisor

Technical Information Centre, Sony UK Manufacturing, Pencoed, Mid Glamorgan. CF35 5HZ
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    risky3301 wrote:
    Finally recieved a response from SONY,

Technical Information Centre, Sony UK Manufacturing, Pencoed, Mid Glamorgan. CF35 5HZ

It does make me worried when one of the leading electronic company's in the country cant even get their address correct, Mid Glamorgan does not exist as a county anymore, Pencoed is now part of Bridgend County Borough, and has been for the last few years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Transmitter issue or a a missing characteristic in the decoder?

Audio Description