Options

Freeview PVR (Fusion FVRT100) (merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    My first post. Bought my FVRT100 only a couple of days ago having followed this forum for several weeks before making a decision. First night downloaded the EPG but this morning the clock had stopped at 0404 and so had the hard drive. Tried every button on the remote but I don't remember which one brought it into life. Thought it may have neen a software update, the technical details showed Software Version 1.6.4, Bootloader 1.0.3, Hardware Version 1.1. I know that the Software version was the same but I don't know what the others were yesterday. Anyway, in view of previous postings I thought I would try subtitles and it's there!! :)

I'm still learning my way around the remote so maybe some other things have also been updated. No doubt someone more knowledgeable will find them if there are.
  • Options
    Glennster2003Glennster2003 Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Cool. Do you notice any difference to the background graphics? i.e. Is the overlaying text easier to read?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    The trouble with newbies-I think I might have jumped the gun. Whilst subtitles are there they're still not recordable. I didn't notice any particular difference with the text, but then I haven't had it long enough to be sure. They certainly look alright to me although I do nor see the point in having a walpaper background for screen which are purely fuinctional.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    what a massive thread! been trying to find the answers to this few questions but got completely lost.... hopefully one of you guys will be able to help me

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the Fusion FVRT100?

1) Where is the cheapest place to get it (any offer codes etc..)
    2) Is the Hard Drive a standard IDE drive?
    3) Can the Hard drive be upgraded?
    4) Is it worth getting the Fusion FVRT100 over the Humax (which has an 80Gb hard drive for LESS money...)

Thanks for your help,
  • Options
    vuittionvuittion Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    top_cat wrote:
    what a massive thread! been trying to find the answers to this few questions but got completely lost.... hopefully one of you guys will be able to help me

2) Is the Hard Drive a standard IDE drive?
    4) Is it worth getting the Fusion FVRT100 over the Humax (which has an 80Gb hard drive for LESS money...)

Thanks for your help,

1) dabs or unbeatable or dixons £179-99 off the shelf

2) yes

3) yes

4) yes, the Fusion FVRT100 has a far superior spec to the Humax i.e twin tuner
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but I believe that only 128GB is recognised and used. It seems that you can install a larger drive but not all capacity will be used.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    TrevorPH wrote:
    Yes but I believe that only 128GB is recognised and used. It seems that you can install a larger drive but not all capacity will be used.

I thought the limit was 137GB, I'm sure someone else quoted that. In any case, I've fitted a 160 GB Hard Drive drive because it was cost effective to do so.

I suspect my box is now a tiny wee bit noisier but I don't think it is much worse and think the benefits vastly outweigh the disadvantages.

There's a whole discussion of upgrading Fusion hard drives here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    top_cat wrote:

Thanks for your help,

If you've an Egg card, you can order it form Curry's at 179.99, deduct £9 for an online voucher code (earlier in thread, don't have it to hand) then get 10% off the total, refunded directly from egg back to your card. I paid a smidge under £154 delivered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the limit was 137GB
    It's 137 x 1,000,000,000 vs 128 x 1024x1024x1024 = 137,438,953,472. Same limit, different method of counting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Hi All :)

Has anyone or anybody seen or heard any news about the impending software update?? Last I heard, was scheduled
    for Nov 11/12th so what happened? I'm asking because I'm
    hoping Fusion will remove the aweful menu wallpaper effect.

I just hate it :mad:

Ronald (red-wrapper)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unbeatable.co.uk used to be part of the Egg cashback scheme .. don't know if they still are.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an email from Fusion the other day about the alleged s/w update.

The person who wrote it seemed surprised that I have not had the update, but he may have thought I was referring to 1.64. As when you initially set the box up, you have V1.63.

I have emailed back yesterday for clarification.

It also mentioned that some functionality patches do not mean the s/w version number changes.
    It then went on to tell me that I should keep my box on standbye for the next 2 or 3 nights.

Steve...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Hi guys and gals,
    Well, I've just joined the FUSION gang and am extremely pleased with it. It does all it says it will and the instruction manual, whilst not coloured and glossy, does the job.
    What is most striking is the quality of 'Playback' compared with my faithful Sony SLV-SE820G VCR - anyone one want to buy it - one careful owner, never raced or rallied - and it's versatility.
    I have tried all functions and they all work a treat.
    Does anyone know what the Serial Port is for? I guess it must be something to do with Output mode??
    Keep up the good work. Your Forum was a major influence on me to rob the piggy bank and buy one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    It may sound an odd comment/question, but I assumed the serial was for connection to a monitor or some other display device.
    The question is, does this mean that you don't need a TV at all? Can you just plug an LCD computer monitor or data projector into the back and carry on as normal? I have a TV, a VCR, PVR and DVDR which if you add up all the tuners is a grand total of 7. What is the TV needed for?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what the Serial Port is for? I guess it must be something to do with Output mode??

I am pretty certain that the serial port is used for firmware updates. So far there have been no firmware updates, only one software update which is done OTA.

I guess if there ever is a requirement to do a firmware update, the PC software to use it will be released, but possibly only to service centres.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    crah1 wrote:
    It may sound an odd comment/question, but I assumed the serial was for connection to a monitor or some other display device.
    The question is, does this mean that you don't need a TV at all? Can you just plug an LCD computer monitor or data projector into the back and carry on as normal? I have a TV, a VCR, PVR and DVDR which if you add up all the tuners is a grand total of 7. What is the TV needed for?

Serial connection is not a monitor VGA connection. One has 9 pins (the fusion box) the other 15 pins (monitors/flat panels etc). It isn't for a monitor.

I'd have guessed it provided an alternative means to update the boxes firmware when 4TV goes bust so there's no way to deliver an OTA firmware update to switch over to a working EPG :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    by the way, I got a reply from Fusion (kinda - they appear to subcontract support queries to a 3rd party company). I was vaguely promised (lots of 'shoulds') that a series link capability will be introduced within 3 weeks via an OTA soft update, that there is no plan to change the way the scene generation for recordings work, that an update for configurable wallpapers is being worked on but no release schedule and a 14 day EPG should also happen within a month.

Place your bets ;)
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    Hopefully, next update will allow us to straighten out that awful wavy wobbly timeline too :mad:

;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    --Mark-- wrote:
    Serial connection is not a monitor VGA connection. One has 9 pins (the fusion box) the other 15 pins (monitors/flat panels etc). It isn't for a monitor.

I'd have guessed it provided an alternative means to update the boxes firmware when 4TV goes bust so there's no way to deliver an OTA firmware update to switch over to a working EPG :rolleyes:

I spoke to support a week or so ago, the serial port is used to load the initial firmware onto the FVRT100. I asked if OTA updates could be downloaded from the web and programmed using this port, the answer was no. I am guessing they do not want anyone reverse engineering or hacking the binaries, as this mechanism for updates is pretty standard.
    Pity, we could all replace those "artful" backdrops with pictures of own choosing!! If they added a Firewire/USB2 port and added the appropriate drivers we could backup movies to external HD disks or DVD's.

I know they are planning on a USB HD option in the future, so why not a DVD writer???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ohhhh! I hope that update comes soon, because my eyelashes are really hurting now.

I must stop hanging by them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I have had my fusion now for about a week and I am unable to record two channels simultaniously. I have also set up my favourite channnels but when i use my box they are no longer available when i press the yellow button to access them, I am also having problems accessing the tv listings when using the calender. All i can get is the tv now and next details. I have checked the channel 704 and it says no details available. has anyone any ideas as to what to do . My box also keeps locking up which i have noticed happens to other players according to other postings here on the forums . I live in Eastbourne sussex and get my transmissions from hastings ans have 75% signal if that helps? Please help as I am a newbie. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The yellow button is just a way of showing favourites, or everything, in the guide. It is a trifle counter intuitive, in that when the screen says "Favourites off" they are in fact on, and vice versa. The logic of this is that you need to press the button in order to get what the top of the screen says, rather than takind it as an indication of the present state! Yes, I know ....!

You should be able to record two programmes at once, but you will not be able to watch either of them during the recording. You can, however, watch something already recorded while recording two other programmes. If you have two little green lights to the left of the front display than you are recording two channels.

Are you unplugging your box at night? If you leave it on standby you should get the EPG.

You could try formatting the drive, or returning to factory defaults. But, of course, you may have a dud box and need a replacement.
  • Options
    betsvigi9betsvigi9 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I've been wading my way through this very long thread. I'm sure that there is a definitive answer to my question somewhere but I can't find it.

Is it possible to archive recordings onto video or dvdr?

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    betsvigi9 wrote:
    Is it possible to archive recordings onto video or dvdr?

Yes and I do it, but it's not ideal. Connect the recorder to scart 2 of the Fusion. Ensure that your recorder's input is set to the Fusion. Play the recording from the Fusion's library then start recording when it gets to the point you want to start recording from.

The main pain is that you cannot watch anything else on the Fusion for the duration of the recording session.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    austin4404 wrote:
    I have had my fusion now for about a week and I am unable to record two channels simultaniously.:

Austin4404, recording two channels simultaneously is a basic operation of this machine. If you can view the two channels live (and you're happy you're setting the recordings properly and are not trying to view a third) then you should be able to record them. If you can't then you have a defective machine and should return it.