Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers bud! :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    examinus wrote:
    Why does pressing F11 require two hands? Using that only requires one finger :p :rolleyes: :)

One house on mouse, other hand to press F11! Or you have to take your hand off the mouse, easier to right click. It's just quicker for me anyway, because i don't use one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard. I just try to do everything from the mouse! :D
  • ExaminusExaminus Posts: 22,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops! That'll teach not to do these things from memory. :o

It would make sense if the download manager had a button to adjust the options for it, however that does seem like a Microsoft 'thing' to do lol... :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    Pity no one knows the answer to my main problem with Firefox, which is how to make it start when I click on the link to open my Hotmail in MSN Messenger.

Someone here claims to have a workaround - no idea if it works though.
  • harvsharvs Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    onesevern wrote:
    I just had a quick look in google and this came up.........

http://www.splintered.co.uk/experiments/56/

It puts an option for full screen in the context (Right click) menu and it works with the latest version of firefox!
    Maybe that'll do??

Thanks for that onesevern.I like you only want to use one hand. cheers
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    examinus wrote:
    I agree.

If somebody went into a PC repair shop and were told that the only solution to their problem would be to buy a new PC then I don't think the person would go back.

Well PC World might try and sell you a new PC but that's to be expected ;)

Honestly though, Firefox is getting very popular, I mean only yesterday I went to my local garage to get my car serviced because of an oil leak and they told me toget Firefox.

I know it's good, in fact I know it's the best thing ever in the history of everything, but is it really that good?

remarkable.
  • Timmy O'TooleTimmy O'Toole Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    Is the reason people keep saying IE is full of security flaws, get Firefox, because...

a) IE is full of security flaws, but Firefox is perfect, or

b) the people who look for flaws (and exploit them) can't be bothered to look for them in Firefox until it's got a large enough user base.

ie. If Firefox was used by 90% of users, and IE by say 3%, would every thread be swamped with 'Get IE' suggestions?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone here claims to have a workaround - no idea if it works though.

Found a way!

http://dallas.sark.com/SarkBlog/kcunningham/archive/2004/11/23/511.aspx

This works a treat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly though, Firefox is getting very popular, I mean only yesterday I went to my local garage to get my car serviced because of an oil leak and they told me toget Firefox.
    The reason people are shouting about it is that it is a valid alternative for the first time since IE4 came around. But you can't go for the popular thing, I mean IE is 18 times more popular ;)
    the people who look for flaws (and exploit them) can't be bothered to look for them in Firefox until it's got a large enough user base.
    Probably very true. IEs main security problems come with ActiveX which IE uses far more than anything else (or is it that only IE uses it, I forget).

However this use of active X is what makes things easy. The internet is intergrating into computing as much in a good way as bad. Firefox is getting rid of it. To me it seems a bit like saying that the best way to stop hackers is to unplug your computer from the internet; it is 100% true and accurate but kinda wreaks the point.

However this - http://secunia.com/internet_explorer_cross-site_scripting_vulnerability_test - is just scary...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    b) the people who look for flaws (and exploit them) can't be bothered to look for them in Firefox until it's got a large enough user base.

Even the "small" user base it currently has is significant (and that's not counting that there is much code common to other Gecko-based browsers such as Mozilla and Netscape, so a bug in one stands a fair chance of affecting all of them).

As an example, on one of our Web sites (I must stress that these are in no way representative, as it's geared towards academics, and we get the occasional "Slashdot effect" that skews the figures) MSIE5+/Win32 browsers account for 54.6% of December visits, whereas Gecko-based browsers account for 19%. (A year ago, MSIE5+/Win32 figures were typically around 75-80%, and Gecko-based browsers were on about 7%, IIRC. The discrepancy in the totals is thanks to the increase in popularity of RSS readers, which we don't screen out of our stats and account for at least 8% of visits.)

Of course, true figures are difficult because (a) no-one really knows how many Internet users there are; (b) there are lies, damned lies and Web statistics and (c) the only "official" figure we have is the number of downloads from mozilla.org, which only tells a fraction of the whole story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, im the one that created the IE and FF thread, and i do not slag of FF, but i do hate it when people say get FF to fix your problem, which is wrong, because FF doesent always fix it, and peole do state that they want to fix the problem with IE, and not change browsers, you should respect other people choice of browsers and not constantly suggest they move to FF, and im not an IE lover, i have infact moved to FF but it still pisses me of when people say move to FF, and i myself would never tell anyone to move to it if they wanted to fix the problem with IE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fifth wrote:
    Ok, im the one that created the IE and FF thread, and i do not slag of FF, but i do hate it when people say get FF to fix your problem, which is wrong, because FF doesent always fix it, and peole do state that they want to fix the problem with IE, and not change browsers, you should respect other people choice of browsers and not constantly suggest they move to FF, and im not an IE lover, i have infact moved to FF but it still pisses me of when people say move to FF, and i myself would never tell anyone to move to it if they wanted to fix the problem with IE.

hmm. i see what your saying, but if someone is having a problem with ie, suggesting ff maybe the quickest and easiest solution for them. I more think its weird if someone isnt having a problem with ie, then suggest they try it by all means and explain why, but if they prefer ie, thats their choice.

I would be surprised if many tried ff for a decent amount of time and still prefered ie though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    monkey75 wrote:
    hmm. i see what your saying, but if someone is having a problem with ie, suggesting ff maybe the quickest and easiest solution for them. I more think its weird if someone isnt having a problem with ie, then suggest they try it by all means and explain why, but if they prefer ie, thats their choice.

I would be surprised if many tried ff for a decent amount of time and still prefered ie though :)

It depends on your requirements. As was pointed out by another poster on the other thread, FF still has a way to go in terms of accessibility support. (I think this is earmarked for a future release.) Similarly, some corporate Intranets make use of ActiveX, so there's an IE tie-in there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mithy73 wrote:
    It depends on your requirements. As was pointed out by another poster on the other thread, FF still has a way to go in terms of accessibility support. (I think this is earmarked for a future release.) Similarly, some corporate Intranets make use of ActiveX, so there's an IE tie-in there.

yep true, but for the majority who only have normal requirements, I would be surprised if they didnt prefer it. I just know ive suggested it to quite a few people and they now all far prefer it.
  • timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    monkey75 wrote:
    yep true, but for the majority who only have normal requirements, I would be surprised if they didnt prefer it. I just know ive suggested it to quite a few people and they now all far prefer it.
    I prefer FF, but I still have to use IE sometimes, so it still has a way to go to be 100% acceptable even to the majority with normal requirements.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer FF, but I still have to use IE sometimes, so it still has a way to go to be 100% acceptable even to the majority with normal requirements.

yes, we all still have to use ie sometimes, well only when i use windows update. no one is suggesting you dont keep ie, you dont have any choice, all im saying is that in my experience everyone i know who has tried ff now uses it and only reverts to ie when forced to...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everyone i know who has tried ff now uses it and only reverts to ie when forced to...
    Well you've found one that doesn't. I have IE, firefox, netscape and mozilla on this PC and I always use IE. The others are for previewing with Dreamweaver to check cross browser compatibility.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    media guy wrote:
    The reason people are shouting about it is that it is a valid alternative for the first time since IE4 came around. But you can't go for the popular thing, I mean IE is 18 times more popular ;)

Probably very true. IEs main security problems come with ActiveX which IE uses far more than anything else (or is it that only IE uses it, I forget).

However this use of active X is what makes things easy. The internet is intergrating into computing as much in a good way as bad. Firefox is getting rid of it. To me it seems a bit like saying that the best way to stop hackers is to unplug your computer from the internet; it is 100% true and accurate but kinda wreaks the point.

However this - http://secunia.com/internet_explorer_cross-site_scripting_vulnerability_test - is just scary...

EEEkk what is even more scary is that when I click on that weblink, Microsoft Office 2000 installer starts up on my PC as if to reinstall the software... bizaare!!!!! - every time I click on that link up pops the installer!