Thomson Scenium dth7000

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
Hello,
I´m new here.
The reason I´m posting is that I need help copying video from my dth7000 to my PC.
I´ve maneged to extract the files from the HD and can view it perfectly in my PC, but my editing software wont edit the mpeg2 files, and when I burn it to DVD using nero the sound is aprox. 3 sec of track and the picture resolution gets much lower, picture is like VCD or worse.
Do you have any ideas for me??

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    How the fu***ng hell did you get the files to your PC?
    I have tried, for very long, but havent been able to read the DTH 7000 hdd....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I installed the HD into my pc and used r-linux to make an Image file of it. The Image file is then playable in vcl player and win dvd as an vob or mpeg file.
    I then cut the image file into peaces to burn them to dvd, but I´m still havong trouble editing the clips becase of some extra data that comes with it I belive. But the quality is wery good.
    Forum Member
    1. How long times does it take to read the hole hdd into a dsk image?

2. How do you split the file and get it to mpg or vob format?
    Forum Member
    1. How long times does it take to read the hole hdd into a dsk image?

It whas surprisingly fast, just as if you were copying large files from one NTFS disk to antoher (45 min maby)
    You can press cancel at anytime and use what has arrived.

2. How do you split the file and get it to mpg or vob format?

R-linux lets you decide starting point and length of an Image, I used that to split the image file.
    First í copied the whole disk on my pc and viewd the file in the VCL player then I could aproximate where to cut out the video I wanted. The whole disk is full of raw mpeg2 data, the image file playes directly in vcl, You can also rename the ending from .dsk to .vob or .mpeg, both worked for me. But the first few Mb on th HD arrent video data, so you have to cut it out in order to burn it to dvd, vcl however ignores it and plays the first video data it finds.
    I´m sure ther´s some easyer way, but I have´nt had the time to explore it, this is the fyrst I came up with.
    Forum Member
    I found out a way that works greta for me...

1. Use r-linux to get the hdd to an image (rename to .vob if you like).

2. Open the image in dvd2avi and make a project. Read a guide if you need.

3. Open the project file (.d2v) in vFAPI and make a dummy .avi.

4. Open the dummy avi in VirualDUB (or any of its clones) and use what filters, compressor you like...

5. Done.

NOTE! Since we dont know the files system on the hdd your record can be spread around the disk. So you might wanna make several project and then merge them...

This might not be of any use for you since you want it on DVD but you might find something usefull in it...
    For me its perfect. I want everything in XviD because I stream movies via my X-Box...

Please post your progress here. There must be a way to get the file system so we just can copy the recordings straight off the hdd...
    Forum Member
    Thats great, I have to try this, because I also have a modded x-box wich I stram movies to :D
    I just have to find these softwares, I though don´t compleatly understand what you mean by makeing a dummy.avi ??

Have yoy had any progress in installing a larger HD in the Thomson dth7000 ??
    Forum Member
    No, and actually now that I know of this I dont care as much about it as I would be able to just copy a recording from the hdd to my PC. But for that we need to sort out the file system on the hdd...

Let me know if you need any help with dvd2avi or vFAPI!
    You should be able to use the "dummy" avi in any prog. So you should be able to make a dvd if your authoring program supports avi...
    Forum Member
    I have now a bulletproof way of copying from HD to DVD.
    I use R-Linux to extract the partision that I whant, then put the .dsk file straight to VOBedit from www.ifoedit.com and demux it, then I merge it again and run trough IFOedit (same website) and then I have a compilation that ready do burn on dvd. Just have to fallow these instruction perfectly to work (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/120021.php) file names must be exactly the same otherwise these programs wont read them. You get perfect condition .vob files with editable .ifo .
    Now I only have to find some program to edit out the comercials without having to render the vob´s and something to make menus with, I don´t know why but Nero ensists on rendering the vobs if a make menus there.
    I´m gonna try your version to compress the files into xvid. Do you have any problesm with audio sync. ??
    You should try to run the file throug vobedit, all my programs can play them after I do that. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hello.

I spent many hours working on a free windows software able to access a DTH7000 hard drive contents when it is plugged into a computer...
    and it works :cool:
    It is able to import quicly the desired video and only it (2 min max on my system). It is also able to delete and rename videos.
    To finish I added debug feature to backup and restore the entire disk or only the file table.
    This software is distributed under the GPL license, if someone want to help me, he is welcome, some work is still to be done to export file from the computer to the hard drive (the opposite direction), to correct a bug on date information, to format bigger hdd (I have some ideas on it but I need help from beta testers...), to drive the unit from the rs232 input.... and maybe other wonderfull features !

Please visit :
    http://dcadiou.free.fr/DTH7000

I also added a guide to burn DVD from DTH7000 VOB file by using only freeware.
    To finish there is an explanation on how to modify the unit to quickly and easily extract the hard drive

Please don't hesitate to give me your feedbacks.
    Contact : Please follow information's on the page mentioned before. :)
    Forum Member
    Great work m8!

Will try it when I get home later today.