Freeview PVR (Fusion FVRT100) (merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BubblePack wrote:
    It wouldn't be the first time on the Thomson thread that someone suspected their upgraded hard drive had caused a problem with the new firmware only for someone else with an unmodded maching to post that they have the same problem. I suspect that we can only wait and see.

I can see that it must be a little annoying when people assume its because the hard drive was upgraded when really its too difficult to tell. Unless its black or white (no problems before upgrade, problems after upgrade) it would make you think.
    BubblePack wrote:
    Drive upgraders are likely to make far more use of their DVRs and will therefore be more prone to discovering errors.

One way of looking at it though is to say people with smaller hard drives do a lot more activities on their DVRs because they have to juggle arround recording, watching, archiving, deleting etc al ot more to keep watching all the things they might like to catch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    dweeb wrote:
    At first I thought the same, but I had to go into the setup menu and change the TV type back to 16:9!

Weird!

Dweeb

I had to do this a couple of days ago as well. Better say sorry to the kids tonight.
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    From the website recruitment page:

Product Validation Technician

Responsible for the testing and validation of new and existing products developed both in-house and by third party resource. In addition the candidate would be required to collect and collate field trial data as well as investigate reports from the customer techical helpline.

Background: Previous experience is not required, however you should be an articulate and confident communicator with an inquisitive nature and an interest in consumer electronics. The ability to work in a methodical and logical nature, on your own initiative, to tight deadlines is required. Basic PC skills in Microsoft Word and Excel would be useful. Training on test equipment will be provided.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Hi, my first post - have purchased this item from unbeatable and am wondering if anyone has any tips, I am hoping to connect to a video and widescreen tv.

Cheers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    IWantPVR wrote:

Responsible for the testing and validation of new and existing products developed both in-house and by third party resource. In addition the candidate would be required to collect and collate field trial data as well as investigate reports from the customer techical helpline.

Background: Previous experience is not required, however you should be an articulate and confident communicator with an inquisitive nature and an interest in consumer electronics. The ability to work in a methodical and logical nature, on your own initiative, to tight deadlines is required. Basic PC skills in Microsoft Word and Excel would be useful. Training on test equipment will be provided.

Ex Milkman only need apply :rolleyes:
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,840
    Forum Member
    IWantPVR wrote:

Are we not already doing this for them? !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    F1 Mike wrote:
    Are we not already doing this for them? !

Yes. But your not getting paid for it :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asguk wrote:
    Hi, my first post - have purchased this item from unbeatable and am wondering if anyone has any tips, I am hoping to connect to a video and widescreen tv.

Cheers

The only real tip is to wait for the 1.6.4 download before really playing with the unit, this will provide alot more stability.

Also, play with the features alot to see what it can do. The box is good, but I still wouldn't say it was intuitive (the remote control interface could do with some work!).

Finally, make sure it has room to breath (it gets quite warm) and dont let it wind you up when it deletes stuff or crashes. It's still a young product and there is a BIG update (1.6.5) on the way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we all know, the remote is cheap. One of the first things I noticed about it is that the remote has been sprayed to a silver colour. By the time I took it back to replace it with the FVRT150 this week (I had the FVRT100 since beginning of November 04) the spray had started disapear on the back around the battery area to show the black plastic underneath. So I guess it will start to look unsightly (blak and silver) after another 6 months use.

The FVRT150 remote is the same, however it actually works with the main unit like a normal remote now. I.e. you dont have to point it directly at the machine and and you dont have to press the buttons slowly and carefully to avoid having to repress buttons. The main unit has a different front so they must have incorporated improvements for the remote control. This new case, which is sturdier also does not even get warm.

If anyone is interested, to save you having to wait for the FVRT200, Argos will be selling the 80Gb FVRT150 for £179.99 from the 24th January (currently £199.99).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have do u know about the Argos price drop on the FVRT150? Do you work there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    The FVRT150 remote is the same, however it actually works with the main unit like a normal remote now. I.e. you dont have to point it directly at the machine and and you dont have to press the buttons slowly and carefully to avoid having to repress buttons. The main unit has a different front so they must have incorporated improvements for the remote control. This new case, which is sturdier also does not even get warm.

The remote on the FVRT100 works perfectly, provided you remove the green cover that covers the IR receiver on the main box :cry: It's been said elsewhere on the forums, but basically the plastic shield blocks the signal, another example of the weak testing Fusion did on the original unit. They've clearly learnt from the complaints and sorted out the plastic shield on the new unit.

I'm tempted to switch my box to the FVRT150 version, how did you go about returning the unit, what was the complaint given how long you'd had it? I got mine from Dixons, anyone returned one to them after a few months ownership for refund?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    have do u know about the Argos price drop on the FVRT150? Do you work there?

If you read the FVRT150 thread you will see someone got one for £179 when argos lowered the price at one store to early. I think it was mark queried the price at another store and thats how he discovered it was schedualed to be reduced on the 24th
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    What reasons are people using when returning thier boxes for a refund. As I am seriously considering returning one?

I don't think I should have a problem as it was brought from Currys online (£152 thanks to discount codes and egg cashback). And I believe this means I can take it back to any store within 28 days, can anone confirm this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Gulag wrote:
    What reasons are people using when returning thier boxes for a refund. As I am seriously considering returning one?

I don't think I should have a problem as it was brought from Currys online (£152 thanks to discount codes and egg cashback). And I believe this means I can take it back to any store within 28 days, can anone confirm this?

Am also interested in how people have managed to return their FVRT100 to currys. Am thinking of doing the same with mine and getting the FVRT150 when the price drops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    IWantPVR wrote:

If the money was right, and I lived in West Yorkshire, I would be tempted, I would then be able to say *%~### to the support staff in person.
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    I've emailed Fusion praising their box (audience grooming) and suggesting the next firmware includes a beta download option.

I'm not really expecting a reply as they haven't replied to my previous emails. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    rutteger wrote:
    Am also interested in how people have managed to return their FVRT100 to currys. Am thinking of doing the same with mine and getting the FVRT150 when the price drops.

Currys do a 14 day no quibble return. 28 days if faulty. ;) machine locking up etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Just spoke to Unbeatable, Panasonic have indicated that they are unlikely to ship in January due to technical problems.

Sorry clicked on the wrong thread !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    rutteger wrote:

I took mine back after 5-6 weeks and explained about lock ups/crashes/hard drive being quarter used despite no recordings. They offered to exchange or refund. I took the refund and got the 150 from Argos.

They technically should have offered to repair my 100, but due to a high number of returns due to lock ups etc. they offered the refund although I had it longer than the 28 days
  • JBlinkJBlink Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KRDownie wrote:
    I took mine back after 5-6 weeks and explained about lock ups/crashes/hard drive being quarter used despite no recordings. They offered to exchange or refund. I took the refund and got the 150 from Argos.

They technically should have offered to repair my 100, but due to a high number of returns due to lock ups etc. they offered the refund although I had it longer than the 28 days
    It would have been interesting to have asked for a repair but insisted on a manufacturer's report on the faults found! (I would have taken the refund as well;) )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    Just spoke to Simon from Fusion Digitech asking "why won't subtitle recording work on my FVRT150" (although I have a 100 I know they use the same software, but the 100 doesn't have subtitle recording in the munual).

He told me more than I've read on this forum, so it must be getting closer to release!!!

1.6.5 Does NOT EXIST. Simon told me that within 7-10 days thae box should be upgraded to version 1.7.3 (getting quite close to the Thomson's 1.7.7) and that it will enable retrospective recording (what??), subtitle recording and 14 day EPG.

Next time I call and get told 7-10 days I'll kick up a fuss - don't know how it'll help, but i might feel a bit better....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    craig_16 wrote:
    retrospective recording (what??),
    Within the first half hour of watching a programme, if you decide to record it then it will include the beginning of the programme (from the 30 minute buffer) in the recording.
  • slimgymslimgym Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    > so it must be getting closer to release!!!
    > within 7-10 days thae box should be

Indeed, usually they say two weeks, he's shaved 4 days off :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit more confident about this timescale because he actually gave me a software version number - could just be me being optimistic. Anyway, thanks for defining retrospective recording.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    KRDownie wrote:
    ....but due to a high number of returns due to lock ups etc. they offered the refund although I had it longer than the 28 days

That must be a worry to Fusion, so many rejected boxes?