Options

ITV should be banned from showing sport

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
Forum Member
going to an ad break 4 laps from the end of the race, the director of the program should be sacked.
FI has been having a bad press recently, and todays mildly exciting race was drawing to a good finish, but then adverts, why??
" oh we've got to please our sponsors and money grabbers, stuff the audience"

ITV, you dont deserve to show sport

EDIT: i see they are showing the last 4 laps again,
dont bother, WE KNOW WHO WON!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    thepuffinthepuffin Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hehe.

I saw that too. Closest finish in years, Schumacher desperately trying to get past Alonso, and ITV decide that they'd rather show 3 minutes of adverts than three of the last four laps of the race.

They then went to commercial immediately after they crossed the line, too.

Disgraceful.
  • Options
    daxusdaxus Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    Got to agree...

Why on earth leave themselves in the position that they need to show a set of adverts that late in the race... They had ample time earlier in the race to show the ads.

Incompetent idiots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mei, I agree wholeheartedly with the title of your thread.

Especially the first four words of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Well I have just made a wrote ITV a very angry e-mail
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Totally agree :mad: ITV should be ban from showing F1. What a disgrace :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i am not a massive motor racing fan, but i do watch it if its on, but i don't think i'll bother again, whats the point?

the coverage by itv is so bad, and its getting worse, second qualifying was shown for all of 2 minutes at the beginning of the program, which was a whole minute longer than last race.

itv, just give it up now!!!
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really bloody annoying, the first race this year with a decent finish and they go to an advert break. Why bother covering sport if you dont show the dramatic bits?
    Gits!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I've also emailed them.

It was absolutely appalling.

But does anybody remember a few years ago - can't remember which race it was - they went to a break on the last lap and we missed the chequered flag!!!

Ian
  • Options
    GooglerGoogler Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what gets me is that in there 1 hour pre race build up, they dont have a break for 45 mins!

and when the race comes, its every 10-15 mins or so, and today, 3 laps before the end!

intresting as in football, they can manage without an ad for 45 mins, and even longer with extra time...
  • Options
    Driver6286Driver6286 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    If ITV can show football for 45 minutes + injury time before adverts are shown then why can't we have Formula 1 treated the same?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Up_North wrote:
    I've also emailed them.

It was absolutely appalling.

But does anybody remember a few years ago - can't remember which race it was - they went to a break on the last lap and we missed the chequered flag!!!

Ian

got an address, i think i would like to e-mail them too
  • Options
    DEmbertonDEmberton Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the plus side, they obviously realised what a big mistake they'd made and showed the laps again, but yes somebody needs firing for that. :mad: They also managed to miss Schumacher's final pitstop, which is probably what decided the race.

Also (and this is not ITVs fault, but the local broadcaster) they managed to obscure the start lights with the lap caption, they managed to obscure Schumacher's best attempt at getting past Alonso with the leaderboard, and they completely missed the chequered flag. :mad:

Not seeing the qualifying is really annoying me now, but I think from what Brundle said to Bernie, ITV and others are fully aware of how poor the new situation is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV are just poor, full stop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Email address is dutyoffice@itv.com

Ian
  • Options
    raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish there was some way the coverage could be taken off them!

It wasn't so bad when Eurosport still covered F1, at least there was an alternative!

I hate ITV for the way they ruin every sport they touch!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DEmberton wrote:
    ........ but I think from what Brundle said to Bernie, ITV and others are fully aware of how poor the new situation is.

ITV have the rights to second qualifying, it is their fault they dont show it, not Bernies' When itv signed up to take F1 they knew what they were dealing with in Ecclestone.

Why not show 2nd qualifying on itv2 / itv3 at least some people would be able to watch it. - just a thought, maybe i'm being too radical
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Up_North wrote:
    Email address is dutyoffice@itv.com

Ian

ty, another e-mail is winging its way to itv's 'in box'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    mei wrote:
    got an address, i think i would like to e-mail them too

Wouldn't it be a good to email the F1A as well? Surely if Ecclestone knows what ITV have been up to he'll throw the book at them.

Imagine them throwing an ad break in during the final 5 mins of a champion's league leg. They wouldn't get away with it, so why should they be allowed to ruin a good F1 race?

Disgraceful also how its the first time we've had a Brit on the podium this season and they pull the press conference coverage before Button gets a word in.

Disgusted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just wish there was some way the coverage could be taken off them!

It wasn't so bad when Eurosport still covered F1, at least there was an alternative!

I hate ITV for the way they ruin every sport they touch!

Eurosport lost coverage at same time the beeb lost it, as they are both part of the EBU (European Broadcasting Union)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    The coverage was appalling - the ads leading to the last lap wasn't even the end - what was Jensens excuse in the driver interviews ? - no we didn't see his driver interview either.

It started with Bernie steering Martin to Roberto Carlos - what a prat he is sometimes!

Why did our friends at Siemens cover the start lights and keep telling us when everone had pitted - a nunber of times - even in the last few corners of the last lap?
    Why did we keep seeing the pitstop count when everyone knew - yet we never saw a list of the car-to-car gaps when it was important - after the last pit-stop had Jensen fallen back from Alonso - and was he catching or losing ground? - we were not giiven the info until far to late to make any kind of assessment.

The local coverage was stipid - just a Michael caught Jensen - they cut to Alonso tooling around on his own!

I mention Siemens because the excuse from ITV will be the coverage is local on behalf of F1 - and ITV do not control the info - perhaps Siemens can give the broadcasters a rocket or set some ground rules to prevent this kind of rubbish - I have never shouted at the screen so much in all my years of watching the F1 coverage (going back as far as BBC coverage of Keke Rosberg driving balls out on totally shot tyres - in I think a Race of Champions) - the stupid fauxs pas by ITV just added to my general dis-satisfaction!

As it so happened I was watching the Jensen - Alonso - Micheal 'battle' - but I'm sure that if I were watching another one I would have been equally frustrated..

BTW Siemens the display with the times behind the leader is useful - but in the heat of battle when the cars you the viewer are following are not being covered - but you have to remember the last figure and work ot the gap on the fly - an almost impossible task for me to do for more than one driver - and you have to be given the 'delays' two laps in succession. A display of gaps to the car in front coloured red or white or green depending on catching maintaining (within a few tenths) or falling away would be better (-, no sign, + would be an alternative) - the leader could be given a -/+ based on his last lap (but this may be confusing).
    This display would give at a glance what was happening in the various battles - but would have to be displayed with 1/2 page changes so you don't loese track between the first and second page - in fact all the displays should be displayed this way - even the pit-stop count!

Perhaps the last few laps advert was out of ITVs control because they lost the EBU feed - but what about the rest of the coverage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    itv cant be held responsible for host braodcaster or directors, but they do control their own ad breaks and 2nd qualifying, that is what gets me so riled
  • Options
    lucky74lucky74 Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everyone else that has posted. To come to the final lap of the race was utterly ridiculous. Couldn't they have held on for 5 minutes and gone to a break after the flag?

ITV haven't had to show their true colours since they took over from the BBC on the whole because F1 has become rather mundane in the last few years.

Todays race was the first in a long time that was exciting and probably the first since ITV took over the contract. ITV have just shown themselves up in a major way.
  • Options
    Forum Member

.....Perhaps the last few laps advert was out of ITVs control because they lost the EBU feed - but what about the rest of the coverage?

itv have full control over their ad breaks, if they went to an ad, its because they are pandering to sponsors and not caring about the audience
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    lucky74 wrote:
    Todays race was the first in a long time that was exciting and probably the first since ITV took over the contract. ITV have just shown themselves up in a major way.
    The coverage of the exciting race at Hockenheim last year wasn't too bad!
    The gernman choice of cameras (on the cars - by the way where were the car cameras? - not much good use of them) showed how the Renault pulled away so well from the corners (Jensen trying to overtake Alonso at the new hairpin) - a crucial feature of todays race with Alonso keeping Michael back - barely demonstrated by todays coverage (camera on Micheals car through the corner sould have demonstrated Michaels problem in trying to get Alonso in the bends admirably.)

mei - If you lose the feed - if you are an advert based channel you quickly paste in ads - a blank screen would be worse as you would have to put in the ads later anyway - ITV should have said why they plonked in the ads and we may have been happier!

The second qualifying 'coverage' is stupid - they give awa y the story before it is covered - even saying Jensen is third on the grid before showing the later drivers succeding or failing to improve ruins it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    One very angry e-mail is now winging its way to dutyoffice@itv.com, here's the contents:
    Subject: ITV1 coverage of San Marino Grand Prix
    It appears that there are going to be a huge number of complaints filed after the abysmal coverage of the San Marino GP, and I'd like to add my name to the list of those who feel thoroughly cheated by ITV.

During the pre-race show, there were a minimal amount of adverts, yet during the race the breaks seem to appear every 15-20 minutes! I don't have a problem with commercial breaks when suitably placed, but the choice of timing this afternoon was absolutely apalling.

Not only were viewers deprived of seeing Michael Schumacher's pit-stop (and effectively a crucial period of the race), the director cut away just four laps from the end of the race in order to show yet more adverts (this being only ten laps later). Around five minutes passed where thousands of people around the country will have been attempting to decipher what was going on in the race from the coverage on BBC Radio 5, which when you're used to actually watching the action leaves something to be desired!

This was one of the most exciting races I've ever seen in the time I've been watching motor-racing and certainly the most exciting in the last five years or so. Yet ITV decide to destroy their reputation in the heads and hearts of many loyal viewers by shunning them in favour of a few 'quick bucks'.

To add insult to injury, viewers were shown the last three laps after yet another advertising break immediately after the end of the GP. Why is it that ITV sees fit to squeeze three advertising breaks into a period of around twenty minutes?

I (and many others) expect a direct public apology from ITV regarding this total debacle. If one is not received, I have no doubt that when the time comes for the F1 contract to be renewed ITV will find itself out of the equation.