Options

Interview Time vs chance to get the job

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of interviews, I'm at one right now (yep, right now!). It's going....unpredictably. Anyway, better get back to it.

R_P

Good Luck... must be a good place, if you can post here, while doing it. :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doc Shmok wrote:
    Good Luck... must be a good place, if you can post here, while doing it. :D
    Yes, they seem like pretty good guys here ('specially the Russian one - little side note for BG there ;)). I've just had to stop attempting a test I'd been set though, because I've studied up on totally the wrong thing. I'm going to have to rely on the 'R_P charm' (which is a dangerous proposition at the best of times) when they get back to explain that I do know what I'm doing, I just need to get a book and refresh myself on the proper topics! The bloke that owns the company just got me a coffee (and two chocolate hob-nobs!), which is a good sign. Anyway, skivving before I even get the job takes some beating, even for me, so I'd better get back to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Close that DS Browser Window, NOW!!! ;)
  • Options
    dizzyblondedizzyblonde Posts: 5,897
    Forum Member
    Speaking of interviews, I'm at one right now (yep, right now!). It's going....unpredictably. Anyway, better get back to it.
    R_P
    R_P - you're unbelievable :D
    I'm flying over for you right now!!!!!!!!
    If they've got any sense - the job's yours - I'll prepare someone for that drink ;)
    Hugs and hugs and positive thoughts,
    Dizzy xxxxx
  • Options
    rudirudi Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doc Shmok wrote:
    I am waiting!! :mad: ;):D

If you know that you are going in for interview as the very last candidate, then you need to somehow take account of whats gone on before. Aside from your usual interview, you should do the following.

When going in keep your energy level high, whilst bearing in mind that the interviewer may be tired. Mention this and show empathy. Ask them how the interviews have gone so far, and have the previous candidates looked good. Probe (in a conversational way) to see if the job spec may have changed in their mind due to other candidate's abilities. Use this information to differentiate yourself, and avoid the mistakes others may have made. At the end of the interview, summarise what has been discussed and ask how closely your skills match the job. Ask if there are any skills offered by the other candidates, which could also be desireable. Doing this enables you to show that you either have those skills too, or have other more valuable qualities. Remember you are both there for the same reason; to see if you are right for them and vice versa. If at this point you know that you want the job, then ask for it. Ask if there is any reason why you may not be successful - i.e. do they have any reservations. Overcome those reservations and ask for the job again. Be forward, this is what you are there for. Ask when they would like you to start. Ask questions about how your first week be in the job. Ask for a tour of the office, and if you can introduce yourself to others.

Interviewing is difficult, and many interviewers find it difficult to make a decision. Being last in means that you can help them to make that decision. Make it easy for them by making the decision jointly. Allow them to think that you have been persuaded to take the job.

These tips won't fit for all circumstances, but use some of them and see the difference.

If your interview is in the middle, then use a combination of the first and last tips I have given.

Rudi :cool: ™
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rudi wrote:
    If you know that you are going in for interview as the very last candidate, then you need to somehow take account of whats gone on before. Aside from your usual interview, you should do the following.

If your interview is in the middle, then use a combination of the first and last tips I have given.

Hi thanks, Rudi. :)
  • Options
    rudirudi Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nos problemos.