Firefly and Serenity

Comments

• TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Echo1 wrote:
    Originally Posted by natural lamer
    Edited to add: Full price at <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=Amazon&v=56">Amazon</a>, play etc. However, it's £16.99 at CD WOW, get it at the reduced price while you still can!

Having caught a couple of eps on Sci-Fi (Wednesday evenings) I didn't think too much of it - but that was because I didn't catch watch from the start of the series.

Though, for £16.99 from CD-WOW I thought I might as well give it a go. I have just ordered it. Thanks for the heads-up on that. :)

I too have just ordered the series from CD Wow do you know how long it took yours to be delivered?

Still at £16.99 bargain if you ask me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    It really does seem like Fox wanted it to fail. They made Joss and Tim Minear write an entirely new "first episode" in ONE weekend. I don't mean a story outline. I mean a complete script. The were told on the Friday and had to have the entire script on the execs desc by Monday morning. That's utterly insane, and clearly they didn't expect it to happen.

Of course, Joss and Tim managed it and we got "The Train Job" as a result. I hadn't noticed the first time round but after listening to the commentaries it's pretty impressive how the characters and ship are introduced in a subtle way - they had to be because it was the "new" first episode. I'm glad I saw things in the DVD order really, it's clearly the "correct" way.

There must be a few pretty foolish feeling execs at Fox after they've seen how well the DVD set has done. Even more so when the movie does really well.
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote:
    I too have just ordered the series from CD Wow do you know how long it took yours to be delivered?
    Hope you enjoy it! Everyone I've shown it to has gone and bought the box set as well, so fingers crossed.

I can't answer how long CD-WOW take to deliver, I got mine set from Play just before they upped the price. Perhaps one of the other recent purchasers can chime in? :)
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Hope you enjoy it! Everyone I've shown it to has gone and bought the box set as well, so fingers crossed.

I can't answer how long CD-WOW take to deliver, I got mine set from Play just before they upped the price. Perhaps one of the other recent purchasers can chime in? :)
    I got mine pretty quickly - about 3 days I think. :)
  • DEmbertonDEmberton Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really does seem like Fox wanted it to fail. They made Joss and Tim Minear write an entirely new "first episode" in ONE weekend. I don't mean a story outline. I mean a complete script. The were told on the Friday and had to have the entire script on the execs desc by Monday morning. That's utterly insane, and clearly they didn't expect it to happen.

Or maybe they didn't want it to fail, which is why they wanted the best possible start? Actually I kind of think they did the right thing, as jumping into the middle of the action in The Train Job is probably better that the relatively slow introduction that is Serenity.

It was an expensive show to produce, Fox wouldn't have put up that much money just because they had to give Joss Whedon another show. And the high cost put more pressure on it to deliver the ratings, and it just didn't. :mad:

I think these people ought to have the courage to stand by their convictions, i.e. if they decide a show should go ahead they should make the full 22 episodes no matter what. They don't have to bring it back next year, but they always cut things off too quickly and before they can develop, and that can't be a good long term strategy. But then I'm not a US TV executive.
    There must be a few pretty foolish feeling execs at Fox after they've seen how well the DVD set has done. Even more so when the movie does really well.

Nah. At best, it'll be a relief for them that the DVD sales have recouped some of the losses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to someone on IMDB the new trailer will be shown Fiday 8th on ITV on GMTV at 8:35am. Shame im at work at the time, but thank god for Sky+.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    AshSan wrote:
    According to someone on IMDB the new trailer will be shown Fiday 8th on ITV on GMTV at 8:35am. Shame im at work at the time, but thank god for Sky+.
    There's a fairly lengthy trailer on http://www.serenitymovie.com/ - is it the same one being shown on GMTV?
    Forum Member
    It might be the one GMTV are showing, but there is a brand new trailer due out soon. SerenityMovie should beable to answer this question better :)
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,674
    Forum Member
    Will Serenity continue where Firefly ends? I ask for no spoilers as I am waiting for the DVDs of the series and haven't watched it.
    Forum Member
    Echo1 wrote:
    Will Serenity continue where Firefly ends? I ask for no spoilers as I am waiting for the DVDs of the series and haven't watched it.

Yes, apparently Serenity is set 6 months after the final Firefly episode. Of course, we're supposed to beable to enjoy Serenity without having seen the series entirely, but for maximum enjoyment I reckon one will want to have seen the episodes first.
    Forum Member
    DEmberton wrote:
    Or maybe they didn't want it to fail, which is why they wanted the best possible start? Actually I kind of think they did the right thing, as jumping into the middle of the action in The Train Job is probably better that the relatively slow introduction that is Serenity.
    I'm not sure I agree with this, although I take your point. How can the best possible start be a script written in 48 hours? :) Who are these bean counters who think they have a better idea how to start a series than Joss? I get the feeling from the commentaries that Fox were looking for reasons to axe the show before the first episode was even aired.
    It was an expensive show to produce, Fox wouldn't have put up that much money just because they had to give Joss Whedon another show. And the high cost put more pressure on it to deliver the ratings, and it just didn't. :mad:
    I'm not sure how contractually obliged Fox were to provide Joss the money for Firefly. It's fairly clear the never "got" the concept and mix of western/space, and wanted to give it up fairly early.
    Nah. At best, it'll be a relief for them that the DVD sales have recouped some of the losses.
    Again I'm not so sure, the DVD sales will have done far more than recoup their losses, with it still being in amazon.com's top 10.

Still, we're getting more, so no complaints here! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote:
    There's a fairly lengthy trailer on http://www.serenitymovie.com/ - is it the same one being shown on GMTV?

Accordinding to the person from IMDB it is new, meant to be shown at Comic Con but wasn't. Im just getting this from here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/board/nest/21761547

Its between GMTV and Entertainment Today, which is annoying as I have to record them both.
    Forum Member
    Firefly is now at #3 in the amazon.com DVD chart! Awesome.
  • DEmbertonDEmberton Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fairly clear the never "got" the concept and mix of western/space, and wanted to give it up fairly early.

That may be true, but then perhaps the audience didn't get the concept either. It's very easy to blame Fox, and they probably could have done more to support the show, but they did give it a reasonable time slot IIRC and the bottom line is that not enough Americans watched it. And no amount of DVD sales, movie success, overseas success, or loyalty from die-hard fans makes up for lack of US ratings.
    Forum Member
    DEmberton wrote:
    That may be true, but then perhaps the audience didn't get the concept either. It's very easy to blame Fox, and they probably could have done more to support the show, but they did give it a reasonable time slot IIRC and the bottom line is that not enough Americans watched it. And no amount of DVD sales, movie success, overseas success, or loyalty from die-hard fans makes up for lack of US ratings.

I have to agree. For whatever reason the audience didn't really watch when it was on TV, and the ratings just weren't there.

Something was clearly wrong though, for the DVD to be at #3 now (it's climbing, not dropping!), there are a bunch of people out there who want to watch this stuff. It's just not really clear why they didn't watch it when it was on TV. DVD/Internet sci-fi fans are a different lot to the average Friday night TV audience I suppose is at least part of it.
    Forum Member
    Got my DVDs in the post today. They're the Aussie version (guessing they're the same as the R2 set?). Are they meant to be fullscreen (anamorphic?)

Watched Serenity (pt 1&2) - very enjoyable. I can see why everyone is raving about it and mighty pissed that it was canceled after only 14 episodes.

Will watch the next episode later, methinks.
    Forum Member
    Echo1 wrote:
    Got my DVDs in the post today. They're the Aussie version (guessing they're the same as the R2 set?). Are they meant to be fullscreen (anamorphic?)
    Anamorphic widescreen, yes that's correct.
    Watched Serenity (pt 1&2) - very enjoyable. I can see why everyone is raving about it and mighty pissed that it was canceled after only 14 episodes.

Will watch the next episode later, methinks.
    If you really enjoyed the pilot you'll love the rest. The episodes get better and better in my opinon. As discussed before, disc 3 is pure gold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really confused by "Serenity Parts 1 and 2" when I first watched it, had to rewatch. Maybe its cause it was Xmas and I was all non-thinking.

The person who posted the info on the trailer on IMDB has since deleted his posts. Hmm...
    Forum Member
    AshSan wrote:
    I was really confused by "Serenity Parts 1 and 2" when I first watched it, had to rewatch. Maybe its cause it was Xmas and I was all non-thinking.

The person who posted the info on the trailer on IMDB has since deleted his posts. Hmm...

I don't recall there being anything particularly confusing about it so I'm suspecting Christmas inebriation ;)

Strange that the IMDB posts have gone. Then again that board is haunted by trolls who insist on pointing out how bad Firefly/Serenity is. The must be pretty mentally damaged, I mean I feel sad enough going on and on about something I really like - let alone a pointless crusade to convince the fans how bad it is. Trolls eh?

Looking forward to a new trailer though. I watch the high def older trailer (from www.serenitymovie.com) daily :D
    Forum Member
    Neither did I find Serenity difficult to follow. An excellent start to the series, I think.

Have watched the other two eps on disc 1, now. I'm still very impressed (like I wouldn't be!) I definately like the characters. One thing though, the captain reminds me of Han Solo way too much - not that that's a bad thing, mind you.

Oh, I watched a trailer for Serenity movie earlier. Looks very good. I'm definately watching that at the flicks :)
    Forum Member
    Echo1 wrote:
    Have watched the other two eps on disc 1, now. I'm still very impressed (like I wouldn't be!) I definately like the characters. One thing though, the captain reminds me of Han Solo way too much - not that that's a bad thing, mind you.

Oh, I watched a trailer for Serenity movie earlier. Looks very good. I'm definately watching that at the flicks :)

Heh, you're right about the Han Solo/Captain Mal comparison. Flawed but ultimately good character with humerous take on the universe. Don't bring Star Wars into this though, god what an abortion the last film was :D

We need to take everyone we know to see Serenity at the flicks, that was we increase our chances of getting a 2nd and 3rd film. Which we clearly want!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serenity trailer is going out on GMTV Friday morning, likely during Entertainment Today. It's a new trailer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
    Forum Member
    do you have an idea at which time as i leave the house ofr work at 8:45 so i was wondering if it was before then?
    Forum Member
    I assume the new trailer will be available on the web soon after the television outing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im_Here wrote:
    do you have an idea at which time as i leave the house ofr work at 8:45 so i was wondering if it was before then?

Unsure - best emailing GMTV (www.gm.tv) to ask when they plan to air it.

Re Web outing - yes, it'll be going online.