Options

October release for Alex's HONESTY and LOOKING FOR WATER

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
Alex's official site has a new - and rather dramatic, black and white - front page, while the site is being reconstructed. It's a great relief to see the machinery finally swing into action for Alex's new release.

It looks as though HMV's advertised release date for HONESTY was a touch premature. Insert rollie eyes emoticon. We now have official confirmation that the album is due out on 24th October. The lead single LOOKING FOR WATER will be out on 17th October.

The official site recommends that everybody signs up to their mailing list for site launch details, updates, preferential ticket purchases, PA's, exclusive competitions and music downloads. It looks as though lots of goodies are finally on the way.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi

I would like to say that the official website is the bogs dollocks.......................

but I can't :)
    Hi. Neither can I. :)

But it is under construction, so hopefully that'll change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've heard the single on Cornwall's Pirate FM. Maddeningly addictive, great lyrics, and straight down the middle of the road. Scary... Alex is gonna be a pop star. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has she learned how to sing in tune yet? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll be played in airports and supermarkets, ad infinitum. Alex haters, enjoy. :D
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby_ wrote:
    Well, I've heard the single on Cornwall's Pirate FM. Maddeningly addictive, great lyrics, and straight down the middle of the road. Scary... Alex is gonna be a pop star. :D

That's good to hear. Alex wasn't my favourite in FA (James Fox woz robbed!) but I did buy her first CD in a show of support for the winner type of way, and if there is to be another series it would be helpful if the previous winner was enjoying success.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Ruby_ wrote:

Devoted fan in favourable review shocker! :p
  • Options
    EddyBeeEddyBee Posts: 45,683
    Forum Member
    Ruby_ wrote:

Not exactly breaking-the-mould then? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AIex_Parks wrote:
    Devoted fan in favourable review shocker! :p
    I know, I know. :p Just wait until the song's been out for a couple of weeks though, and see what happens! If I turn out to be wrong, then I'll cheerfully admit it. :)

Some people following this thread may be interested in the October issue of Diva, which carries a cover feature about Alex. Thanks to Tez for that link.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I like that picture of her :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pleased to hear it. Welcome to the forum. :)

The interview in Diva is a good read as well... very positive stuff. Evidently the album has a mix of genres, rock and folk as well as pop. Three quarters of the album was written with Greg Wells, who's worked with the Deftones, Michelle Branch and a lot of heavy rock bands. The more commercial tracks for the singles were written with Judie Tzuke. Alex is looking forward to doing some shows in November to promote the album, with her own band.

I'm a subscriber, but the magazine should be in newsagents within the week, and it can also be purchased online from DIVADirect.

Apparently the video for Looking For Water was broadcast this morning on B4 Sky Channel 457 and it's also listed on The Box Channel 449.
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby_ wrote:
    Three quarters of the album was written with Greg Wells, who's worked with the Deftones, Michelle Branch and a lot of heavy rock bands. The more commercial tracks for the singles were written with Judie Tzuke. Alex is looking forward to doing some shows in November to promote the album, with her own band.

Wow really - that's great, even more reason for me to go and buy - Judie Tzuke is brilliant and was always one of the most underrated of artists (in my opinion, obviously!)
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Ruby_ wrote:
    Pleased to hear it. Welcome to the forum. :)

The interview in Diva is a good read as well... very positive stuff. Evidently the album has a mix of genres, rock and folk as well as pop. Three quarters of the album was written with Greg Wells, who's worked with the Deftones, Michelle Branch and a lot of heavy rock bands. The more commercial tracks for the singles were written with Judie Tzuke. Alex is looking forward to doing some shows in November to promote the album, with her own band.

I'm a subscriber, but the magazine should be in newsagents within the week, and it can also be purchased online from DIVADirect.

Apparently the video for Looking For Water was broadcast this morning on B4 Sky Channel 457 and it's also listed on The Box Channel 449.
    Thanks Ruby, I have been flicking the music channels over for days to see if she is on, I can't wait to hear her again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just rushed to put to the TV on, turned into Sky channel 451 'Smash Hits' and the video was playing, Looking for Water is excellent, she looks and sounds great, I am so excited. It could be big for Alex, keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    cattcatt Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has anyone d/l a copy of the song so we can hear it?
    the polydor site only plays 30 seconds..
    cheers
    and welcome back alex!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    The Polydor i-pod on the site plays the whole song. Just listen to it again :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just did!
    thanks
    i like it - i think its a lovely soft song..
    can't wait for the album, especially john reynolds' track 'Lies'

catt

if anyone has d/l LFW though - let me know ;)
  • Options
    andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    i like the new single! i was worried that because Alex has been out the limelight for so lomg that the video would be realy low budget but it looks as though they are realy trying to make it a hit! The song is nice,i feel that the verses are slightly lost within the song but the chorus and bridge are very good! i hope that the management team and record company realy try to promote it now! :)

ps: the video is playing right now on the box! yay!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, positive remarks... keep 'em coming. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've heard it about 10 times now and I love it, good job the cricket has been rained off for a few hours.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *sigh*

I love Alex but this song does absolutely nothing for me. It isn't bad and I know it'll grow on me but after about half a dozen listens I still couldn't hum it - just the one line "you're looking for water..". When you stand it next to the amazing "Maybe" and "Cry" it sounds like a b-side. And her VOICE is somehow irritating in it as well. There's no real melodic hook and the song ends rather abruptly where it should have continued to grow a bit.

I really want to love it and I'll be buying the album regardless - but I am worried that this is the best they can come up with ? It's not a top 5 hit by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so like i say, i like it but i dont think it showcases that incredible voice
    its all very monotone - no light/dark - so its, dare i say it, a bit dull..? still im glad she has finished her album, very glad to know john reynolds has produced a track but nevertheless am a tad wary of a) the rest of the tracks and b) the critics

catt
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hopeful there are better songs on the album... but someone at Polydor needs a good slap for thinking this is going to help shift an album in the lead-up to Christmas. If you're gonna do a ballady thing like that it needed to be epic like the first 2 singles which were just amazing. This is just wallpaper music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After waiting impatiently for what seemed like forever to hear her new material, I have to admit I was disappointed by this new single. After listening to it half a dozen times, the song still doesn't grab me, and her voice sounds flat and emotionless.

I was going to buy the album no matter what, but if this is what Polydor thinks is good enough to be released as the first single, well, I think I'll wait and hear some of the other tracks before I run out to purchase it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I found out that about half the album is rock/folk so thats something to look forward to :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ruby_ wrote:
    Ah, positive remarks... keep 'em coming. :D
    Looks like you spoke too soon Ruby.