Options

61.5°w??????

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 875
Forum Member
✭✭
I am getting a very faint signal from this sat. It is constantly breaking up. Totally unwatchable but I am still getting a signal 12442 seems to be the strongest, Can anyone else confirm this??

I am using a 2.4m Prime focus on west cost of Ireland. I can more or less see a test card from Dish network on 12473. In saying that it is constantly breaking up,hardly a picture there at all.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    This sounds almost too good to be true. Exciting! Maybe interesting to check again when it's really really cold? :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Koen C wrote:
    This sounds almost too good to be true. Exciting! Maybe interesting to check again when it's really really cold? :cool:

I can now not detect anything from that sat PAS 9 is furthest I can get. Can anyone else plese confirm they can receive 61.5???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody further east than about Iceland is going to be able to get either ES3 or Rainbow 1 with ease. Even a 3+ metre dish in Mayo won't get much to any signal off it, so you won't find many here who can confirm they can get it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Simonuk wrote:
    I am getting a very faint signal from this sat. It is constantly breaking up. Totally unwatchable but I am still getting a signal 12442 seems to be the strongest, Can anyone else confirm this??

I am using a 2.4m Prime focus on west cost of Ireland. I can more or less see a test card from Dish network on 12473. In saying that it is constantly breaking up,hardly a picture there at all.

I saw your post on the OTHER FORUM and I left you a message there. :)

You said in your post (on the other forum) that you had a clear view straight across the Atlantic. Have you therefore tried going further west? Unfortunately, 61.5°W isn't all that interesting, not after they dumped the exciting VOOM package, as I think you would agree: It carries one local affiliate station of ABC, one big city CBS station in HDTV, and then some WB, UPN and PBS local stations. That's about about it. The rest are all just foreign stations. You don't get NBC or FOX.

The 72.5°W slot (DirecTV) at least has all the networks, but also nothing else.

The 82°W slot is the one I would be interested in. ;) (But will you get it there in Ireland?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I live in south wales i can receive 68.5 east fine and watch the sabc channels quite a lot, but where i live i have a clear view to the east
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I know 68 east to be a strong satellite indeed.
    However, I was thinking this thread is actually about the satellites far west - the east ones are rather for Russia and the like.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    i have a 90cm dish, will i be able to get it
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow so you are picking up an American satellite it would be interesting to see if they can pick up any European satellites in America
  • Options
    doubledecksdoubledecks Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Hitchcock wrote:
    The 82°W slot is the one I would be interested in. ;) (But will you get it there in Ireland?)

82°w would only have an elevation of 2° in the very westerly points of Ireland, making very difficult to lock up.

You should be able to 'see' 72.5°w in the west coast of Ireland (dish elevation 8°), but if you would get anything from the footprint would be anyones guess!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    82°w would only have an elevation of 2° in the very westerly points of Ireland, making very difficult to lock up.

You should be able to 'see' 72.5°w in the west coast of Ireland (dish elevation 8°), but if you would get anything from the footprint would be anyones guess!

No I cant get nothing from 72.5w,nor can I get anything from 61.5w today dispite having a bit of signal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mad_dude wrote:
    Wow so you are picking up an American satellite it would be interesting to see if they can pick up any European satellites in America

I read of a guy in Brazil who got reception o Astra 1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    i heard that american satellites don't use vertical or horizontal polarization, i heard they use something like circular or something of that nature
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, but he said (in another thread) he has a clear view straight across the Atlantic! Which means, he will be able to point the dish at every satellite down to 0° elevation, literally, although as some people may rightly point out, there may also follow a sharp incresase in atmospheric noise as he approaches absolute 0°.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitchcock wrote:
    Yes, but he said (in another thread) he has a clear view straight across the Atlantic! Which means, he will be able to point the dish at every satellite down to 0° elevation, literally, although as some people may rightly point out, there may also follow a sharp incresase in atmospheric noise as he approaches absolute 0°.

The furthest I can get is 61.5w. I have a signal but cant find any channels or feeds etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    martz wrote:
    i heard that american satellites don't use vertical or horizontal polarization, i heard they use something like circular or something of that nature

Yes, this is (mostly) true. You just have to look at the satellite pages on Lyngsat, and you'll see that most of the (Ku-band) transponders are marked with L and R (rather than H and V)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Left Hand Circular and Right Hand Circular polarisation

BSB used Right Hand Circular, from memory. However, a Squarial is FAR too small to get a US satellite on...
  • Options
    chazcochazco Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Anyone here been to Joderal Bank recently? They have a massive dish which you are allowed to move round (not the main one obviously) - when i went you could get American tv stations on it, but it was quite a while ago. So, all you need is a 5m dish?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even with a 35 meter dish, Nimiq 2 (82 West) is below the horizon in the UK - its only barely above it in the west of Ireland. You might, just might get ES3 at 61.5, but unlikely to even on a 5 metre

Jodrell Bank was most likely picking up feeds on a satellite thats not being used for DTH reception.

Also, have you seen how bloody big a 5 metre dish is?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy in Brazil who got Astra 1 had an obersvatory size dish.
  • Options
    chazcochazco Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    - Yes, at Joderal Bank, it was supposed to be a (bad) joke. I suppose they could have been picking up from somewhere else, i was about 9 when i went...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    KianD wrote:

No? 5 metres I'm guessing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daved2424 wrote:

It sounds an awful lot smaller than it is

a 5 meter dish in yer garden is quite similar to having a Transit van parked there. Not a chance it won't get seen by your neighbours/council planners/etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    daved2424 wrote:

Had one of those spit yer drink out moments reading that. Thanks
  • Options
    againstpaytvagainstpaytv Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    TVDX wrote:
    The guy in Brazil who got Astra 1 had an obersvatory size dish.

out of interest, its was 9m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    out of interest, its was 9m

Close enough to observatory size then.

9 meter diameter is larger than many houses gardens...