Options

Freeview PVR (Humax Duovisio 9200T)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rodmac51 wrote:
    We seem to have 2 threads here on the 9200T, both now reporting on the released model. Can they be merged?

This thread was started purely for feedback when the first unit arrived on Barry's doorstep, I think we should leave it as it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Sorry missed the previous post.
    I can't see any reason from a platform perspective why the optical output should not be available during MP3 playback. Humax are obviously encouraging people to store MP3's on the Duo so why not allow an obvious connection to their AV equipment? They demonstrate this on page GB16 of the user guide. It's not a show-stopper, just seems a strange decision.
    MP3 = MPEG1, Freeview = MPEG2; so they were saving programming time that they could use for TV features = Good 

RE MP3 and 5GB limit: Many home electronic devices are ambivalent about MP3, they support it but not fully. A typical example is that many DVD video players will play MP3 files on a CDR(W) but not on a DVD+-R(W), although this may change with time.
    I’ve looked into this in depth and my conclusion is that the quality of the user interface is even more important than the number of MP3s supported, whether in GB or number of tracks. My portable mp3 player, Zen Xtra (60 GB, 9,000 tracks) is much more user friendly than any DVD player that handles MP3 discs. A Freeview box outputs at SD TV resolution, which just doesn’t have the number of pixels to give you a good interface for easily managing large MP3 databases. I understand your frustration, but until we have devices that output at HD TV resolutions, they just can’t provide an easily manageable interface to handle even a medium size MP3 collection.
    Wraighty wrote:
    Can anyone confirm if the fan runs while recording/playing and not just watching live TV?
    As far as I can tell the fan is on 24/7. I put it on standby with no recordings current and the fan stayed on with the hard drive turned off. It is very very quiet and I only checked it just after switching it to standby, so there’s a possibility that it turns off after the system has cooled down. Others have also reported that they think it’s on 24/7 and the unit is so cool anyway that I doubt this is the issue.

Update on drive noise. I just walked into the lounge and the Hummie was recording one channel; the hard drive was making a loud clicking sound (seek noise if you’re a PC person). If this is more typical, this is not a unit for bedroom use for a sound sensitive soul. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished reading this entire thread and this PVR looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I've been waiting for it for nearly a year!

Just a two questions I don't remember seeing answers to:

Does the box record when in standby?
    Has anyone tried putting photos onto it?

Thank you so much everybody!
  • Options
    nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJL wrote:
    Haven't these people ever heard of linked lists rather than fixed arrays? - the 4TV software has no such limitation and I'd be surprised if Topfield did too.

I believe there is a limit of 70 on the Topfield; 20 seems ok when you're not used to a PVR, but I find that I tend to record lots more stuff, and watch much less live. Looking at my list now, I have 19 events, which is made up of some regular recordings, and some found by searches - and I normally sit down with the Guardian Guide on a Saturday and pick films, documentaries and other one-offs for the next week.

Nigel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Well i got my hummy today from turbosat after deciding to go ahead after the amazing reviews we have had on here. :)

I have to say it works well and the box is well built. The remote is rather cheap but does the job. The buffer system works a treat tho have not tried recording yet, am some what disappointed with the apparent lack of true "chase play" from recordings. As for the mp3 limit, i mean... it is a personal VIDEO recorder after all.

And just for you how still ask, the fan is on all the time. But is near perfectly silent.

I think also someone asked if the "now and next" can be flicked thro the channels, well strictly its a no. However using the channel list feature you can see the current program on any channel.

I think thats it for now..... TTFN
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Barry please ask Humax for a lot more than 20 timers. Preferably an unlimited number, but at least 50.

Also to set the default option on the subtitle menu as English rather than cancel. (Or make pushing the subs button twice turn subs on.)

And why not make either the alternate PIP channel or the "back button" channel also buffer. (Currently dual buffer is only active while PIP is on.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    ian_uk wrote:
    Does the box record when in standby?
    I’m not sure what that means on a semantic level! If it’s recording, then isn’t it by definition on? I’ve had 2 days of 9200T, so I may be missing something obvious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    Hi Gran,
    Did this test and it showed up all the programmes with the work "detective" in it. It did not bring up Poirot or Whycliffe, but then it doesnt have the word detective in its programme name does it. Doing a search for Poirot brought up "Agatha Christie's Poirot" so I guess it works as it should.

I like the way you can also search by Genre. I wanted to see just movies and it brought up 100 movies in a couple of seconds.

Hope that helps.

Try Wycliffe ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    The box does record in standby. I have tried photos but to be honest it's not the best. Firstly you are limited to 5gb (including mp3 storage) and it can be quite slow to load any reasonably sized image. Still fairly useful as a small backup device.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Cross post for those interested in the MP3 space limitations.
    tinted wrote:
    No mention in the manual whatsoever which is where my frustration lies. I see 160gb and MP3 playback on the box so for no reason did I suspect it would be limited to only a small fraction of the space available..wierd.

Just a thought: the eLinker software clearly sees two distinct areas on the Humax drive (D1 & D2)
    I suspect therefore that the HD is being partitioned into two preset sizes..... if that's the case then a software mod could easily adjust this.

You would of course sacrifice some of the video storage area!

I may be wrong.
  • Options
    creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Munchkinn
    Has anyone else noticed the unit displaying the word "STING" on it as part of the initial set-up? Not sure what that was all about!!??[/QUOTE]

Truncated TESTING maybe? Or ADJUSTING, THRUSTING :) . Must be lots more.

Colin
  • Options
    creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    rodmac51 wrote:
    We seem to have 2 threads here on the 9200T, both now reporting on the released model. Can they be merged?

I'd personally prefer to keep this thread for the technical stuff and the other one for general chat, deliveries, prices, availability etc.

Colin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, of course we want to keep it separate. We was only havin' a larf on the other thread.

Please, somebody tell me how to delete a recording that I have watched!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhubarbe wrote:
    Yes, of course we want to keep it separate. We was only havin' a larf on the other thread.

Please, somebody tell me how to delete a recording that I have watched!!!

Menu - Record- Recorded Programme then select the programme to delete, press ' ok' for the info screen for that programme and delete button is at the bottom left.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Respectfully, I do think you're missing the point, Cliff.

If I've had a typical day at work, I arrive home later than I should have but, luckily, I've remembered to record my favourite programmes. Now, I want to be able to switch on the PVR (out of standby) and start watching one of them before it has finished recording. In this scenario, from what I can tell, I simply can't do it. That's no better than my VCR!

It is my first PVR, I only got it home at 7:15 this evening and by 8 I had programmed two recordings. I was amazed at how easy it was. Incidentally both starting at 9pm one on ITV and one on More4. I watched BBC1 at 9:30 and BBC2 at 10pm whilst the recordings were taking place. I added 10 minutes to the end of The West Wing on More4 and the name was lost, but as has been mentioned by others it is still there in the recordings list.

It is also very quiet, sleek and shiny and far more elegant than any VCR that I have owned. Oh, and apart from the fact that the volume control and the mute buttons don't seem to work, (any ideas anyone?) I love the remote!

No more searching for blank spaces on tapes, accidently taping over an unwatched programme or running upstairs to set a second recording on the bedroom VCR :)

With its 2 hour buffer is it not possible to set the timer so that it powers up at the time you should arrive home from work, and, if you are late rewind the buffered programme and start watching immediately?

On the subject of the buffer is the 2 hours it says on the box the default time or does it need to be set to this, and if so how?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stephenbw wrote:
    Menu - Record- Recorded Programme then select the programme to delete, press ' ok' for the info screen for that programme and delete button is at the bottom left.
    Many thanks. Now that's what I call completely unintuitive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Firstly, as a PVR newbie, I've got to say that I'm extremely impressed with the 9200 - although I've got nothing to compare it with.

One criticism, however, is that the manual isn't very good - Luckily, the On Screen Display is very intuitive.

A couple of questions though...

1. What is the 'Source' button supposed to do (both on the front panel and on the remote).

2. The 9200 volume and mute controls do not seem to work when watching via the Scart output. (These functions do work if watching via the RF output). Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal?

John
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    multiply wrote:
    Fair comment, Marc. But I have around 5,000 tracks I would love to store on this PVR.
    Bear in mind that as a music 'jukebox', it would be ideal and the MP3 facility advertised was quite a selling point for me.

It has struck me how funny it is all people's requirements are different.
    I read about people getting upset about a 20-programme record limit, whereas I would never come near to that requirement.
    MP3 storage is important to me, but many users couldn't care less.
    Many are complaining about the remote build, but I couldn't care less as I will be using a programmable one instead.

Here we have a device that, on the face of it, serves quite a diverse number of needs, and each user will have their own particular preference.

I don't envy Humax customer support who will be inundated with requests to sort out the 'most important feature' which, by and large, will be different in almost every case!

With regard to the MP3 storage issue, Barry asked the question and admitted it didn't matter one iota to him, but he was aware that it might be an issue for others. He was right.

;)
    You are so right Multiply, and don't forget, if you are a manufacturer, you are not aiming your product at the techno knowlegable people who use this forum, but at the average person on the street, and many forget that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    This is a great thread. As an early adopter of the 8000T I've been following it with interest to see how reaction to the 92000T develops.

The number one thing for me is reliability. The 8000T may not be the most functionally rich PVR in the world but it works - I've never lost a recording in two years of ownership. That counts for a lot in my book.

It's too early to say on the 92000T but so far indications seem good.

Bob
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BobBoulby wrote:
    This is a great thread. As an early adopter of the 8000T I've been following it with interest to see how reaction to the 92000T develops.

The number one thing for me is reliability. The 8000T may not be the most functionally rich PVR in the world but it works - I've never lost a recording in two years of ownership. That counts for a lot in my book.

It's too early to say on the 92000T but so far indications seem good.

Bob
    I agree BobBoulby I never had any problem with the 8000T either, and I like the search facilities available to you by genre or by name, I think that I am correct in saying only Humax PVR's seem to have this feature, it really helps when searching for programs to record. Have really missed this with the Panny. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Johna7770 wrote:
    Firstly, as a PVR newbie, I've got to say that I'm extremely impressed with the 9200 - although I've got nothing to compare it with.

One criticism, however, is that the manual isn't very good - Luckily, the On Screen Display is very intuitive.

A couple of questions though...

1. What is the 'Source' button supposed to do (both on the front panel and on the remote).

2. The 9200 volume and mute controls do not seem to work when watching via the Scart output. (These functions do work if watching via the RF output). Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal?

John

1) It's like an A/V button on normal remotes - it switches between the Humax and your TV.
    2) Not sure as I feed my sound through a Yamaha Amp but when I tried it through my TV mine worked OK, muted and volume changed. Maybe your scart lead is faulty?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    rodmac51 wrote:
    Can't find any way to change the order of channels? Am I missing the obvious?

You can set up favourites and channel lists but from what I can tell they all appear in the order the channels are downloaded.

OK, I was missing the obvious. You can't change the general order of stations like I could on other boxes but you can once you have created them in favourites. It's on the same menu but doesn't become active until you actually set the favourites, which is a bit confusing.

It's also a bit long winded to change from one favourites list to another. It would have been nice to have had a dedicated 'favourites' button.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrviner wrote:
    Also to set the default option on the subtitle menu as English rather than cancel. (Or make pushing the subs button twice turn subs on.)

Isn't there a menu option to turn the subtitles off? there was on the 8000
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    For those who are interested I have carried the following noise test

Nothing on in the room only the Humax in 'Stand-by mode' fan is on, From 2inch away the noise level is 46dB

From my viewing position approx 11 ft away the noise level is LOW less then 40dB

Humax switched ON TV off
    2inches away 53dB from seating position 44 dB

Switch on PC, All four fans kick in, noise level from 2inches from case 67dB

From TV viewing position approx 12ft away 55dB

Now the most important one

Switch ON TV, watch Music channel at normal volume and sitting position noise level 64 dB.

The only time I hear the fan and hard drive working is when the machine is first swtiched on after that I don't here the little beast at all, top marks to Humax :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Johna7770 wrote:

Well I use RGB over a scart and this works for me, it doen't control the TV volume just the volume level sent of the line, so if you tv has some clever wizadry to balance the volume levels this may fail...

Chris