Options

Freeview PVR (Humax Duovisio 9200T)

Comments

• Options
    DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ang wrote:
    I see it as very old fashioned software design to have a limit at all. So it's not just what the limit is, it's that there's a limit at all that puts me off. I'm surprised the Topfield has a limit also, but at least 70 is more than you would consider necessary... 20 is easily exceeded!

To be pedantic there is always a limit, however big - you have to store timer entries somewhere.

With the Toppy I think there is 384KB of flash storage used for channels settings, timer entries, favourite lists etc. so that imposes a limit Even if you stored timer entries on disk there is a finite limit.

I guess what I'm saying is for me it's how likely am I to hit any limit. I think 20 is too small, but 200 it would be OK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Barry wrote:
    Have you tried the OPT+ button under the flap to change Favorites list?

Err, No :o I'll try when I get home, thanks.

The trouble is I've transferred all commands to a universal remote and as yet haven't remembered which key does what. I'll have to play with the original a bit more?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I left the machine to record about 12 programmes last night.
    I've noticed on one of them, that after 20mins or so there was a lip sync problem. stopping the playback and resuming fixed the problem.
    Is this a known problem with PVR?

The only thing wrong with the remote is that flimsy lid that covers the bottom section of buttons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stephenbw wrote:
    Yes the 9200 resumes play where you left off on multiple recordings.
    I just ffwd 2 recordings, played a few mins, then stopped play and put the unit into standby.
    Switched back on, selected each of the recordings from the playlist and both of them resumed from where they had stopped :)

That's good, better than the 8000
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    ian_uk wrote:
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear.
    If you set recordings and then turn the box into standby, will it still record the programmes? Also, if a recording is in process can you still put the box in standby, and it will continue the recording in the background?
    Yes to both of these; so far it seems intelligent in that it makes it difficult for the user to screw up ;)

Some people were concerned about the environmental effect of leaving the unit on when not in use. I measured the power draw at the wall socket and it is 6-7 watts when off and 22 watts when on, seemingly regardless of what the unit is doing. By OFF I mean in standby and not recording. Not as big a difference as I’d expected, but still it’s good that you can put it into standby on going to bed even whilst it’s recording, knowing that the power consumption will drop once recording has stopped.
    DX30 wrote:
    To be pedantic there is always a limit, however big - you have to store timer entries somewhere. With the Toppy I think there is 384KB of flash storage used for channels settings, timer entries, favourite lists etc. so that imposes a limit Even if you stored timer entries on disk there is a finite limit. I guess what I'm saying is for me it's how likely am I to hit any limit. I think 20 is too small, but 200 it would be OK.
    Even a single byte allows you to store a value between 0 and 255! This is a major oversight as others have suggested and needs to be addressed fairly quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TytoAlba wrote:
    Hi, I left the machine to record about 12 programmes last night.
    I've noticed on one of them, that after 20mins or so there was a lip sync problem. stopping the playback and resuming fixed the problem.
    Is this a known problem with PVR?
    I’ve just bought the 9200T to replace the 8000T (another Humax model). The 8000T in 10 months of usage exhibited that problem about 3 or 4 times, so hopefully the 9200T will be no worse or better.
  • Options
    fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a redundant Aston Cam that I used on a satellite receiver. Will it be suitable for TopUp TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There appears to be an error on pages 36-37 of the manual re editing record function.

I was trying to delete the ads from 'The Brief' following the instructions and could not get to the on screen controls.

This only worked when, after pressing 'Play', 'Pause' is then pressed. (This step is missing in the manual.)

The on-screen function keys are then hi-lighted and available.

The deletions worked, but it was a bit long winded. After each deletion the recording went back to the beginning and ok had to be pressed repeatedly as the maximum advance/reverse is 100 frames.

I did however find a quicker way.

Menu - Record - Recorded Programme, Select the programme for editing - press Play and the recording starts in the window. FFWD to the scene for editing - Stop - then press Opt+ key. The cursor is now in the required place on the slider bar to press 'Pause' and use the on-screen keys to fine tune the edit.

It sounds a bit complicated but I did find it much quicker than the (erroneous) instructions in the manual.I would be grateful if anyone comes up with a faster way to edit. Maybe the bookmarks would help? I haven't used this function yet.

Has anyone got the 'Direct Jump' feature on page 29 to work?
    I tried following the (badly written) instructions but it doesn't work for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first impressions of the 9200 seem to be the same as most of the reviews.

The two real problems with this box are the inability to watch a recording while it is continuing (if you have changed channel) and the recording programme having no title if you modify it.

I hope that both these issues will be addressed in an early software update because it is a real shame that an otherwise quality product is spoilt by these problems.

One point I would like to make about the requests for auto padding when making an EPG recording, I hope they add minutes to the start of a recording as well as an extra five minutes (or user selectable amount of time) to the end. It isn't unknown for programmes to start slightly early so I always add a minute or two at the beginning.

On the plus side I like the way instant recordings allow for the end time to be adjusted with a scroll to the let or right and I think the picture and sound quality are excellent and come complete with very quick response in interactive pages.

On the minor down side, I don't like the remote much, the 8000 remote was great, it could just be I need time to get used to it. The method of recording what is in the buffer is over complex, I'm very happy you can do it I just wish you didn't have to rewind first.

I think I will be happy with the 9200 if they correct the two main problems I first mentioned, if they do I can live with the minor niggles and believe it will be a great machine.

Redrob2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fixerman wrote:
    I have a redundant Aston Cam that I used on a satellite receiver. Will it be suitable for TopUp TV.

do you need a cam if the 9200 has a TUTV slot?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone got the 'Direct Jump' feature on page 29 to work?

Ah! have not read the manual fully as yet, (to busy on here) but this seems similar to my post #233.

Use the play button to bring up the Time bar.
  • Options
    fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redrob2 wrote:
    do you need a cam if the 9200 has a TUTV slot?

The slot is for a CAM into which you insert the TopUp TV card. I am not familiar with what you get from TopUP TV. If you have your own CAM then perhaps there is a significant saving as all you will need is the card which should be provided free once you have signed up for the service.

I have inserted the Aston CAM in my Humax and it recognised it straight away. So perhaps all I need now is a Card from TopUp TV.
  • Options
    aaron777aaron777 Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    redrob2 wrote:
    One point I would like to make about the requests for auto padding when making an EPG recording, I hope they add minutes to the start of a recording

I agree. Apols if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but are you finding that if you set it up to record a few minutes before the programme you want, the resulting label in your progs recorded list is the programme before the one you wanted it?

For example for me, setting it up to record JONATHAN ROSS last night, I put the start time as 2248 (it's shown 15 minutes later here in NI). However, once recorded the given label was "FOLKS ON THE HILL" (the 2235-2250 programme) - presumably because that's when the recording started.

That's another one to fix!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Are any other make cams being used yet? Other than Aston that is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aaron777 wrote:
    I agree. Apols if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but are you finding that if you set it up to record a few minutes before the programme you want, the resulting label in your progs recorded list is the programme before the one you wanted it?

I think this has come about because they wanted to improve on the 8000. If you did an instant record or manual programme you didin't get the title on the final recording. this new feature obviously picks up the title at the point of recording so when you add minutes you get the previous info as you describe.

I think the auto padding could work as long as they distinguish between EPG programming and manual recording, the new system should work with manual system and EPG programmes should maintain the EPG info.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wraighty wrote:
    Are any other make cams being used yet? Other than Aston that is.

I have never used TUTV, I assumed you woudln't need to use a cam because the 9200 had been designed to use a TUTV card directly in the slot, is this not correct?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    redrob2 wrote:
    I have never used TUTV, I assumed you woudln't need to use a cam because the 9200 had been designed to use a TUTV card directly in the slot, is this not correct?
    It does need a CAM but I don't know if they all work or it requires a specific CAM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    redrob2 wrote:
    One point I would like to make about the requests for auto padding when making an EPG recording, I hope they add minutes to the start of a recording
    That’s a useful feature and should be added, but, IF the 9200T keeps accurate time and switches itself on early enough, you’ll find that it is extremely rare to miss the beginning of a program. It’s very rarely happened with my 8000T.
    The downside to auto-padding the start time, is that if you are recording two consecutive programs on the same channel, they will end up being recorded on different tuners, unless the software is very clever. That’s quite a serious limitation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SECOND IMPRESSIONS.

PROBLEM
    The noise of the hard drive in my unit varies a lot. Initially, I was delighted by how quiet the unit is as a whole and the hard drive seemed quieter than the one in my 8000T. But, I’ve noticed that for periods, the drive and therefore the unit as a whole is now significantly noisier than my 8000T. This affects me because my 8000T is just about quiet enough for me to use in my small bedroom; but the 9200T would be unusable. Has anyone else noticed this?

EPG – It seems to take an age to populate fully and needs to be addressed. My 8000T was sometimes a bit iffy, but this has now turned into a potential issue.

REMOTE – it’s growing on me, but the central arrow/cursor selection 4 way wheel thing is definitely BELOW PAR on mine.

It’s VERY VERY SLOW to turn on from either the remote or main unit. Well, we probably all feel like that at times so I don’t want to criticize too much :) It’s not a problem, just be aware of it, otherwise you might think your Humax is dead.

Conclusion. I like it a lot. I bought it to install at my parents house and I think they’ll be blown away by it. But, the noise level and remote are making me consider other options to upgrade my 8000T with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    crow_smiling,

Not heard a thing from mine. In a cabinet below the TV so not really noticed anything.

Initial start up you can hear the HD clicking away but it stops after 20-30 secs.

I've never had a PVR so this is all new to me but from playing with it from 8.30 when it was delivered it has been very good.

The manual is not 100% but learning as I'm messing about with it!

Compared to VCR it's amazing!

Cheers Ian
  • Options
    bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having ordered and picked up my father's 9200T yesterday,we have agreed to do a swop!Once I saw the fantastic picture and recording quality of the Humax,I could not let him have it!He is happy with my Digifusion,and I am over the moon with the 9200T.Have not seen picture quality this good since the Sony VTX-D800U I once owned.It could be even better.Quite like the RC-just have to be careful with it.I will miss certain functions of the Digifusion,but that picture quality on my LCD is that good.Well done Humax,just please sort the small gripes out asap. :):):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    SECOND IMPRESSIONS.

PROBLEM
    The noise of the hard drive in my unit varies a lot. Initially, I was delighted by how quiet the unit is as a whole and the hard drive seemed quieter than the one in my 8000T. But, I’ve noticed that for periods, the drive and therefore the unit as a whole is now significantly noisier than my 8000T. This affects me because my 8000T is just about quiet enough for me to use in my small bedroom; but the 9200T would be unusable. Has anyone else noticed this?

After replacing the video, the hummax is now the only thing in the tv cabinet. I've noticed the noise but i think it may be vibration noise. My solution, a blob of blu-tac in every corner. I'm hoping this will help.
  • Options
    Geoff_WGeoff_W Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Some people were concerned about the environmental effect of leaving the unit on when not in use. I measured the power draw at the wall socket and it is 6-7 watts when off and 22 watts when on, seemingly regardless of what the unit is doing.

What do you use to measure the power consumption? My multimeter won't even measure ac amps, never mind watts. I've always wanted to test the power consumption on a range of household gadgets to see which ones are wasteful of energy.

Apologies for being off-topic.

Geoff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That’s a useful feature and should be added, but, IF the 9200T keeps accurate time and switches itself on early enough, you’ll find that it is extremely rare to miss the beginning of a program. It’s very rarely happened with my 8000T.
    The downside to auto-padding the start time, is that if you are recording two consecutive programs on the same channel, they will end up being recorded on different tuners, unless the software is very clever. That’s quite a serious limitation.

It's just something I like to do, I have a 8000 and it's rarely happened to me either, it's not because of the unit when it does, it's because the programme starts early. there have been a fe occasions recently where tings I watch have started a whole minute before they were supposed to.

I don't see the consecutive programme issue being a problem that can't be over come, it would only be an issue if you were recording a third programme at the time the overlap occurs, I'm sure you could set the software to only pad the start if it is able to, you would have to do the same if you had auto padding on the end of the first of the two consecutive programmes.

I do think the main issue is getting the EPG programme name to be maintained if you modify the shedule, I am quite happy to pad my own recordings if I don't lose detail in the schedule list or library of recordings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TytoAlba wrote:
    After replacing the video, the humax is now the only thing in the tv cabinet. I've noticed the noise but i think it may be vibration noise. My solution, a blob of blu-tac in every corner. I'm hoping this will help.
    The vibration noise is manageable in my unit; I’ve placed it on polystyrene to decouple it from the DVD player it sits on and therefore the cabinet also. The noise I’m referring to is the hard drive seek noise. Since it doesn’t happen all the time, I’m wondering if it’s related to the unit populating its EPG sporadically! I say that because my 8000T has a lot of seek noise on initially turning the unit on. This is when it reads the whole EPG and writes it to disk I think and I don’t mind that. I know these two units handle EPG data differently, so this could be it. The hard drive can have no seek noise when recording two channels, so I know it’s capable of quieter operation. Bummer.