Options

AVG virus scanner ...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Doing a scan of my c drive avg thinks that adaware.exe is a trojan horse downloader and also the adawaretweakse.exe so ive allowed it to move them to the virus vault. The thing is that they arent trojans or virus' because they were downloaded from Adawares own website and i have in fact been using adaware for months and it has never picked it up before. So odd. AVG is so stupid sometimes.

Does anyone know why it does this and has it happened to you at all?

I cant understand why after all this time its now flagging it as a trojan, is it because it is a " .exe " file ? Or maybe grisoft in their infinite wisdom has decided to tell avg software to mark adaware as a virus / trojan ?

Of course no doubt now everytime i run adaware im going to be told its a virus and it will be shut down.

Uhm .. any hints / tips ?

Whats the point in having all this security if all it does is find things that arent infact virus's or trojans and seems to be unable to pick up proper virus' or trojans

Comments

• Options
    capt hangovercapt hangover Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to happen to me too...

AVG's had it's day.

Avast's the way forward.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll tell you i think you are right. It's now suggesting a yahoo link is a trojan horse also.

bye bye AVG : (
  • Options
    wavesterwavester Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, I think Avast is class. (Still got AVG as an additional scan only program and for the Boot up scanner) Avast hasn't missed anything in a year of using it though. I got NOD 32 on 1 month trial but it didn't find anything that Avast free hadn't.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never had any problem with avg, and certainly not that problem, as i also use adaware
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I wold dare say that NOD32 and Avast are probably the best scanners on the market.

Avast is brilliant as its free, has built in script blocker. Paid extra money so i could upgrade to server version. Fantastic never failed me yet.

NOD32 has the best heuristic analysis engine out there nothing compares to it according to independent tests.

Another good thing is both Avast and NOD32 are not resource hungry like mcafee or norton.
  • Options
    mw1mw1 Posts: 3,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can anyone help
    just ran avg i have 1 infected file
    Trojan Horse Downloader.Agent.AQN under this file it has something about c:/windows/uninstall and in my applications about wanadoo
    What is this?
    it's in the virus vault but have i messed up my computer?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    hi, i just wanted to say that Avast is the best free software i have ever come across. I feel safe that my computer will alway be away from harm with it. why pay for Mcafee and norton?????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mw1 wrote:
    can anyone help
    just ran avg i have 1 infected file
    Trojan Horse Downloader.Agent.AQN under this file it has something about c:/windows/uninstall and in my applications about wanadoo
    What is this?
    it's in the virus vault but have i messed up my computer?

Thats is the same name that avg sai di had infected, 3 times, 2 files being adaware and one being a yahoo link. All 3 were legitimate so you might want to check that it isnt doing the same thing to you as it did to me, saying that liegit progrs are trojans etc.

I've since got rid of AVG ( it was a long time coming tbh ) and installed Avast!

I'll run my first full system scan in the morning but im off to my bed, night all :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richie
    cheers for comments
    how can i check about this i.e. legitmate programs the first time it detected this was when i ran ms antispyware and AVG flashed up on my screen saying virus detected
    Then i decided to run an AVG scan and it came up with another trojan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    It is a false positive shown if you are using heuristic scanning,an update has already been released to correct this.
    If you are using avg free try the avg free forum for things like this,loads of good info on there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've just checked that AVG forum out and yes it was a false alarm however 2 files are still in my virus vault, can i remove them from there at all?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wold dare say that NOD32 and Avast are probably the best scanners on the market.

Avast is brilliant as its free, has built in script blocker. Paid extra money so i could upgrade to server version. Fantastic never failed me yet.

NOD32 has the best heuristic analysis engine out there nothing compares to it according to independent tests.

Another good thing is both Avast and NOD32 are not resource hungry like mcafee or norton.

I agree with what you said about NOD32. It easily has the best detection rates for both known and unknown viruses. It is also the fastest virus scanner on the market, and one of the cheapest, so it really is an excellent deal.

Avast (free) is pretty good value for money. The interface is clunky, performance isn't great and it doesn't have the best detection rates, but it's definitely the best free antivirus. If you're willing to spend a little money for the better performance and extra peace of mind, however, I would go with NOD32.

AVG is just getting worse and worse all the time...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Avast slows my computer noticeably whereas AVG I dont really know its there. That said if AVG is sitting there not detecting anything then its pretty useless. Time to give Avast another go again I guess. Maybe I'm imagining it cause I see the system tray icon spinning and not with AVG.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    mw1,if the files in the vault are the ones placed there due to the false postive,then yes it is safe to reinstate the files. The update to cure the false positive prevents the files being flagged on further scans,it does not restore the files for you though. If you are unsure,you can have the files scanned online,i don't recall the address,but it is on the avg forums with a link,sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd been meaning to replace avg for a while anyway. Installed avast this morning ( early hours ) and it seems quite good, i havent used it before though so it will be interesting to see how well it copes with scanning my pc and how well it picks up virus' trojans etc etc. As long as the virus database is kept upto date then it shouldnt have any problems.

I liked the look of Avast from the website with all its " fancy " features so i'll give it a while, if i dont like it i can always ger rid and find something else

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can customise Avast though to a much greater extent than AVG, try going into the menu's and turning off anything you don't need, this speeds it up a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what I dont need though.
    I might turn off the animated system tray icon though so I forget about it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you go into 'on access protection control' by right clicking on the blue Avast icon you can turn off stuff like 'outlook' and 'instant messaging' protection and generally customise it to find a compromise between speed and security.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am absolutely skint at the moment, and even £23 for a version of Nod32 is a bit much, as a home user, will Avast keep me covered until I can afford Nod32 (In which case I'll probably opt for a 3 year licence when I can afford it)