Options

american tv channels in the uk (potentially)

so ive been loking at lynysat.com for satelite frequencies and if i have checked right one of the dish network satelites is not below the horizon to us. gaining a subscription would be nigh on impossible as its videocrypt the position is 72.5 west. so im guessing the signal is really weak but could a big enough dish pick it up. plus there are many HD services on 61.5 west that are encrypted, just thought it was interesting as gaining american tv always seemed impossible but this seems like a glimmer of hope.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    The only chance you have of watching American TV in Europe is by moving to the west of Ireland or Spain and getting a massive dish, around 3M or 4M+. There have been reports of some weak signals at 61.5W, with Dish Network Testcards etc.

Wrong forum as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry for posting in the wrong forum, is there any way to move it now?

how come lyngsat says its possible then, i thought they were pretty much on the ball.
  • Options
    Forum Member

how come lyngsat says its possible then, i thought they were pretty much on the ball.

Because the beam of that satellite is focused at America. Even though the elevation is okay, you would need a massive dish.

Lyngsat doesn't say it is possible...only that the elevation is above the horizon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Sky has abc1 and E! And probably others that I'm just forgetting. There are also a lot of re-runs of American shows on all of the channels. There's also NASN, the North American Sports Network, to which you can subscribe. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so a sat to pick up american tv in england would need to be as big as those that listen to signals from space then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so a sat to pick up american tv in england would need to be as big as those that listen to signals from space then?

Eh? A satellite dish gets signals from space! (well a satellite, which is in space)

Look, you just need a massive dish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member

Contact the admins (click on Feedback at the top of the page and then on Forum Support) and tell them you want this thread moved, it will speed up the proccess.

Anyway, Lyngsat does not say it is possible, it only tells you that the satellite is above the horizon, which means that in theory you have no problem pointing your dish at the satellite, but whether the signal is strong enough is a completely different matter.

All the American satellites, i.e. Echostar 3 @ 61.5°W and beyond, are all "shining" their beams (or "flashlights") at the US/Canada and other places in the Americas only.

There was a guy in Western Ireland the other day who managed to pick up a Dish Network test card on 61.5°W with a (poorly configured) 2.4 m dish!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could a cableco do a deal and have a dish big enough to get these feeds then i mean is that how telewest could get hd before sky?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eowyn wrote:
    Sky has abc1 and E! And probably others that I'm just forgetting. There are also a lot of re-runs of American shows on all of the channels. There's also NASN, the North American Sports Network, to which you can subscribe. :)

72.5 shows local versions of nbc, abc, pbs etc. would be great for ex pats and for watching first run shows and more american sports as well as shows we cant get here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    could a cableco do a deal and have a dish big enough to get these feeds then i mean is that how telewest could get hd before sky?

I have no idea how the cable companies get their feeds, although I very much doubt it's from any of the satellites beyond 60°W.

The cable companies probably would be able to pick up though (if they wanted to) for instance Dish Network at 61.5°W and DirecTV at 72.5°W. I'm guessing a 6-13 m dish would pretty much do.
    72.5 shows local versions of nbc, abc, pbs etc. would be great for ex pats and for watching first run shows and more american sports as well as shows we cant get here

Correct, although all of those channels are standard definition only. No HDTV on 72.5°W, unfortunately.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity it's pretty near impossible to get a working PowerVu receiver for AFN. That would be the best bet - 50cm dish for Hotbird, and schedules for our time zone.... I used to be able to get AFN here in Berlin, as well as BFBS, but down came the Wall and out went the troops and took their TV with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dogmatix wrote:
    Pity it's pretty near impossible to get a working PowerVu receiver for AFN. That would be the best bet - 50cm dish for Hotbird, and schedules for our time zone.... I used to be able to get AFN here in Berlin, as well as BFBS, but down came the Wall and out went the troops and took their TV with them.

Unless you find a broken authorised AFN decoder and a working unauthorise AFN decoder...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Try 15@ W this has a couple of transponders that are used by NBC in the clear. Most of the time one transponder has NBC US National feed and the other MSNBC
  • Options
    maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Slightly off topic as we're talking IPTV rather than Satellite but there was a thread recently about this http://www.tvanywhere.org

Believe it when I see it, myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitchcock wrote:
    I have no idea how the cable companies get their feeds, although I very much doubt it's from any of the satellites beyond 60°W.

The cable companies probably would be able to pick up though (if they wanted to) for instance Dish Network at 61.5°W and DirecTV at 72.5°W. I'm guessing a 6-13 m dish would pretty much do.

Correct, although all of those channels are standard definition only. No HDTV on 72.5°W, unfortunately.

there is HD on 61.5 from voom and i think i heard that telewest was sourcing material from this company
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nascar wrote:
    Try 15@ W this has a couple of transponders that are used by NBC in the clear. Most of the time one transponder has NBC US National feed and the other MSNBC

how come its showing nbc in the clear, where is the beam pointing, sounds a bit odd
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a feed on a European beam, so its pretty easy to pick up in the uk. IT doesnt show nbc 24/7, and encrypts for a few weeks at a time every now & then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Orbit tv in the middle east shows a lot of live US tv news programmes like Good Morning America, Today, Nightline, Primetime Live and 20 20. Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy and many series are well out of date but it does have a lot of programmes you'll find hard to get elsewhere. Go to www.orbit.net for more info and dealers in UK and Europe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep I got the dish network test card at 61.5w 2 months or so ago. In saying that I got it at about 11pm at night,very faintly I might add, It was hardly recognisable .i.e really blocky picture. That was with a 2.4m dish on Irelands west coast, and was never seen since.
  • Options
    Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    there is HD on 61.5 from voom and i think i heard that telewest was sourcing material from this company

Voom was shut down months ago. It's channels and satellite (Rainbow1) was taken over by Dish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so with a dish about 4 meters pointing at 61.5 w in the uk might get to see america tv.

can the hd services be picked up or is that just a stupid question

is there a LEGAL way to unencrypt nagravision 1 and 2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so with a dish about 4 meters pointing at 61.5 w in the uk might get to see america tv.

I still rather doubt it - many channels are encrypted anyway., so you would need the appropriate subs card.

is there a LEGAL way to unencrypt nagravision 1 and 2?

Of course there is - pay for it!!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still rather doubt it - many channels are encrypted anyway., so you would need the appropriate subs card.

Of course there is - pay for it!!! :D

would dish allow you to do this though, i mean there must be rights issues, or would you need to find an address in the states to get the subs card and then post it here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea. I would guess the answer would be no, even if the signals were theoretically available here.

You do realise that many of the channels carried on 61.5W are already available in Europe dont you? :D

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish61.html

You cant get the majority of the DISH network anyway - its carried on satellites below our western horizon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its only the foreign language services and not all of them that are avaliable here, im looking at the american local stations for tbs and abc, shame there is no fox or nbc. but i do like lost. with podcasts and internet tv a possibility soon some company should step up to create a global television service so that a program can be watched globally at the same time