SkyByBroadband - a P2P service ? WTF!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
Forum Member
✭✭
Reading the T&Cs for SBB, it says:

7. Uploading Content

If you download and save content to your computer system, during a license period for the relevant file, we may upload parcels of content from the file from your computer system for the purpose of transferring files to other users of the service.

Doesn't sound very nice at all. I don't like the thought of Sky suing my computer and internet connection as a server for their customers. Especially when I'm paying dearly for a Sky sub. This isn't a dodgy p2p system...is it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly the same as the BBC service isn't it which I believe is bascially p2p?

That would also explain some of the poor performance users have been reporting on these forums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a stupid idea. Everyone will be limited to 250Kb.

I'll have to investigate how it all works. Perhaps removing KHost.exe is needed ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kontiki boast about "stealing" the use of people's computers. THIS IS WRONG

From the Kontiki website (referring to the BBC service, but similar to what Sky are doing)

Work has also been done to ensure that MyBBCPlayer can cope with demand, using a technique that enlists the help of home computers without their owners knowing. “The first person who downloads Top Gear would get it from us,” Highfield says. “But when people subsequently click on the link, they might get it from the person’s computer down the street — from somebody who has already downloaded the program on their computer.”

Known as peer-to-peer technology, and supplied by Kontiki, Highfield believes it is the first large scale use of the technique in broadcasting. If it works, he hopes to “share the technology” with the rest of the broadcasting industry, arguing that the exercise amounts to public venture capital.
  • K3K3 Posts: 1,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just download a Firewall like Zone Alarm (Freeware) or similar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It gets around SPI by initiating the connection. It also opens a hole in UPnP and/or Windows Firewall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    K3 wrote:
    Just download a Firewall like Zone Alarm (Freeware) or similar.

Well unless Im missing a part of Zone Alarm, it will not let you restrict uploading but at the same time allow downloading by the program. Its simple a yes allow this program access to internet or no dont.

Ports maybe, but they might go both ways too.

Also Bruce, the highlighted bit, no where does it say it is 'stealing'.

I think they simply mean that the user does not have to take any action, it is invisible to the user, thus they are unaware the uploading it taking place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    user unaware = sky stealing bandwidth :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    No, unaware it is happening at that present moment in time. Not unaware that SkybyBroadband is sending out data.

The user does know, they read the terms and conditions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wannado wrote:
    No, unaware it is happening at that present moment in time. Not unaware that SkybyBroadband is sending out data.

The user does know, they read the terms and conditions.

In fact, when you install the software the license strangely has item 7 missing.

Technically you are correct, as everyone should get their solicitor to explain the legal issues involved. But how many people will be aware of the fact that Sky can/might steal/use your bandwidth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bastards! And I was wondering why the DSL Activity light on my router was going mental constantly since I installed the service. There was me yesterday pulling my hair out thinking there was Spyware on the PC :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm only thankful I have an uncapped connection!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You raise a good point about capped connections. As most of the major ISPs now cap their users, this bandwidth could very easily be eaten up extremely quickly, without the user even doing a thing. There has to be an option to disable such activity (and that goes for the BBC's IMP too).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Bastards! And I was wondering why the DSL Activity light on my router was going mental constantly since I installed the service. There was me yesterday pulling my hair out thinking there was Spyware on the PC :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm only thankful I have an uncapped connection!

i'm in the same boat, i have been scratching my head trying to work out what has been going through my modem over the last few days. i must say though, its a very low amount of data
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy I think irrespective of the P2P issue, caps will still be a major issue. Given one film can be the best part of a gig and that many people have BB services with only a few gig a month limits, some as low as 1-3 gig a month. Once BBC launch their service even more will be doing it.

Add on that lots of people really still have no idea at all about bandwidth usage and what it means then this sort of service is going to cause problems. Mainly because its going to be a mainstream service rather than something that is seen to be for "geeks"and the first of many to come.

Therefore many "ordinary" BB users will start using it and the average use of the average user is going to increase. Given most ISP's are on a CBC model I can't see how they can absorb the increased usage without putting prices up.

I know from personal expereince that most people have no idea at all what bandwidth is or how an allowance works, They just tend to sign up for the cheapest deal around.

I think Plusnet for example budget on about 9gb being the average use of a customer for a month across the board. Even if that was only to increase by a few gig a month its going to have a big impact on their business model.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I think most bandwidth caps are for download not upload, so presumably Sky uploading content to the network wouldn't impact the cap - or am I mistaken?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidT wrote:
    Andy I think irrespective of the P2P issue, caps will still be a major issue. Given one film can be the best part of a gig and that many people have BB services with only a few gig a month limits, some as low as 1-3 gig a month. Once BBC launch their service even more will be doing it.

I agree with you - you're not going to be able to download very many programmes for your 1gb allowance - but at least you can keep track of what you're downloading yourself. If, without your knowledge, those files you've downloaded are also being uploaded to numerous other people, that 1gb becomes even more precious.

DavidT wrote:
    Therefore many "ordinary" BB users will start using it and the average use of the average user is going to increase. Given most ISP's are on a CBC model I can't see how they can absorb the increased usage without putting prices up.

Good point. Right now we're enjoying somewhat of a price and pipe-war - fatter pipes for less money - but most people are still only using their 1mb/2mb/8mb pipes for a bit of email, bit of music, bit of surfing, maybe a little online radio - but not downloading huge movies on the whole. When more and more people start this, bandwidth starts to become premium - and like oil, the price shoots up.

Interesting times ahead, for sure.
    TAD2 wrote:
    I think most bandwidth caps are for download not upload, so presumably Sky uploading content to the network wouldn't impact the cap - or am I mistaken?

You might be correct. I've just dumped ntl, but I know theirs was upload and download combined - I assumed that everyone else was the same, but I don't know for sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TAD2 wrote:

Wrong. Usage considers both downlaod and upload.

Even very low usage by Sky would add several GBs of usage. And with BT starting to send bills for usage (1£ per GB), there are some nasty surprises about to happen.

My connection includes 5GB each month. Then £1.75 per GB extra. So I'm rather keen not to get billed for an extra 10GB I didn't know about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't imagine it would be as much as 10GB per month bruce, although if you run your PC 24 hours a day then it could be a fairly large amount. However, the thing that's really sneaky is that the "KService.exe" program starts at boot up, and runs constantly, even if you "close" the Sky By Broadband program (although this has the benefit that any movies you have queued for download will continue downloading away in the background). Unless you actually shut the bloody thing down in Task Manager, it's running away in the background. :mad:
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vast number of ISP's do include uploading in your bandwidth allowance. However as I said I just don't think a very large number of users have any idea at all about bandwidth and what they are using.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At only 5KB/s, that's almost 13GB over 30 days (24/7)

5KB/s is less than 10% of a 512Kb/s connection. But 13GB can double the cost of your ADSL in a month with many ISPs.
  • Orry VerducciOrry Verducci Posts: 2,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that explains the non-stop communication that has been occuring over my network since I installed it earlier today. The pain is that I'm on a capped connection at the moment. Also, I'm soon going to change to Tiscali, and under the fair usage policy, they are going to be frowning at my PC thanks to the p2p on Sky By Broadband.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DO NOT use Tiscali. If you want to know why, ask here:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=tiscali
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I have checked and since installing the software my upload amount has doubled for the same period without it.

This could be a problem for me and I may have to reconsider whether this is worth keeping, especially as it has taken me 48 hours of constant access to download 3 films! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Installed the software and tried the service today.

Well for the most part SKY have hit the mark with everything they have done but this broadband service is totally pathetic especially as a p2p based offering even for "illegal" file sharing only really works in the first couple days.
    It's far easier to capture the SKY content on my PC at DVD spec with no DRM and even easier for those with a DVDR so right now what exactly is the point of this system?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    It's far easier to capture the SKY content on my PC at DVD spec with no DRM and even easier for those with a DVDR so right now what exactly is the point of this system?
    Just the first tentative steps toward a future where computers and Televisions will be the same thing and we'll download all viewing content.
    It'll happen, but not just yet. In the meantime I've dumped this software as I don't want to watch television on my PC's monitor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just the first tentative steps toward a future where computers and Televisions will be the same thing and we'll download all viewing content.
    It'll happen, but not just yet. In the meantime I've dumped this software as I don't want to watch television on my PC's monitor.

Yeah everything has got to start somewhere but even so you would have thought a company the size of SKY could have had direct links to the content if only to make the service look good from day1.