Options

LCD TV - recommendations please ...

Hi everyone

I'm looking to get a new 17in (Widescreen) LCD TV, and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations.

So far, I've seen this is my preferred option:

Philips 17PF4310

All it is going to be used for is as a secondary screen for Sky+ or a primary screen for Sky Multiroom (I already have one LCD TV - this one - and may swap the two over depending on specs).

Also ... between the two only one needs to be run from an RF cable, ie one needs a tuner and one doesn't.

The one that doesn't will be connecting straight into a Pace (Sky) Minibox which only has 3 outputs on it: Scart (non-RGB unfortunately!), RF and RS-232. Are there any LCD TV's/Monitors that don't have an inbuilt tuner but DO have a Scart (or any other input which would be compatible with outputs I've just listed). I've looked into it myself, and short of getting a whole load of conversion kit, it doesn't seem possible to me.

So, in short, any recommendations for 17in LCD TV?

And, can I save money by getting an LCD TV/Monitor WITHOUT a tuner but one which I can still connect to the Minibox?

Hope you can help,

cheers

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    93 views and no comments? There are some forums where I am a fairly active member and I know it can be annoying when some little oink comes along, and registers just to ask one question before buggering off ... but I've been on here for a couple of weeks now (mainly the Sky+ forum) so please, if anyone has any recommendations or comments on the Philips one then please let me know.

By the way, i have seen that there is an active thread on a 17 inch LCD TV WITH FREEVIEW, but I have no need for freeview (in fact, don't even need a tuner/RF input!) so didn't want to hijack that thread.

Thanks for your help (hopefully!!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    The number of views without comments is probably because you're after a 17" rather than a larger set, where you'd probably get more views!

I saw the 23" version of that Philips when I was looking for a new TV this month, and thought it looked good, but I was put off by there only being 1 SCART socket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Go for the 23inch Panasonic just bought one and very good approx £600

Mike
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The number of views without comments is probably because you're after a 17" rather than a larger set, where you'd probably get more views!

Fair enough - makes sense i guess.

And thanks to both you and mikatt for the 23" recommendation... I was umming and urrring over which size to get, but unfortunately that is going to be too big (small kitchen) ... or so the wife says anyway!

Cheers
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my local Asda have a Beko 26" Lwidescreen CD monitor / TV at an amazing price of £400. They are trumpeting a Dual 26" TV / monitor at £500 but the untrumpeted Beko specs match/beat the Packard Bell in every aspect from the link above. The Dual looks probably worse than the Beko due to the fact that the box was being 'vague and unhelpful'
    ie Contrast ratio was 5 or 600. Brightness was 500. Had PC input and a resolution of 1360 x 768 ( values are very near approximates from memory. Double check if buying)

Sorry did not read / see the response rates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    have stumbled across this the Samsung 940MW 19" LCD TV which seems pretty good, apart from the brightness level, stats:

Built-in TV Tuner
    SCART Connection
    Widescreen
    8msec Response Rate
    300cd/m2 Brightness
    700:01:00 Contrast Ratio
    1440 x 900 WXGA+ Maximum Resolution
    DVI + Analogue Imaging
    16.7 Million Colours
    Plug & Play

Currently £299 at PC World.

What would say is a good minimum rating for the Brightness?