Options

Bfbs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
Forum Member
I'm really interested in getting into radio. I've done Hospital radio and would like to get into BFBS radio.

Has anyone worked for BFBS or does anyone know much about it?

From looking at websites there is a lot of pro's on there! which makes me think that its maybe not a place to get training - or is it?

Al

Comments

• Options
    woodysdadwoodysdad Posts: 2,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you have to join the army first!
  • Options
    Juan Carlos AraJuan Carlos Ara Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    If you take a time to read the DJ profiles, the most of them have worked in Capital Radio, BBC, etc. So, they have the best of the best in the DJ world.

Shows are excelent, DJ´s are so professional and the porgramming is excellent.

BFBF Radio 1, which I listen to via satellite, is one of my favourite stations. It has the Official UK Top 40, with Nic Foster, playing all the singles in full ( no like JK & Joel do).

Take a look at the DJ profiles and you will imagine the way to be part of BFBS.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,412
    Forum Member
    If you take a time to read the DJ profiles, the most of them have worked in Capital Radio, BBC, etc. So, they have the best of the best in the DJ world.

Shows are excelent, DJ´s are so professional and the porgramming is excellent.

BFBF Radio 1, which I listen to via satellite, is one of my favourite stations. It has the Official UK Top 40, with Nic Foster, playing all the singles in full ( no like JK & Joel do).

Take a look at the DJ profiles and you will imagine the way to be part of BFBS.

Its true that they do employ some very good freelance presenters who have worked at Capital etc but a fair amount of their presenters have only ever worked for BFBS or they had very limited radio experience before they joined so getting in shouldn't be too hard.

They do have some very good programmes aswell but then being public service they benefit from not being commercial and not having to depend on rajar figures for their money.

Just out of interest Al why do you want to work for them?
  • Options
    i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anyway of getting BFBS on sky???

if not what other ways apart from online can i pick it up??
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I had an interview for BFBS a couple of years ago in Buckinghamshire. There was an advert in the Guadian Media looking for presenters and they didnt require any experience (in fact they were looking for newcomers to be fair). It was very competitive and they had a lot of people applying - it was a touch interview. Language skills help but be aware....don't go for the job if you want to travel....you'll see the world, but the regime you live in can be quite restrictive and strict...they are very often war-zones you're going to.
  • Options
    Juan Carlos AraJuan Carlos Ara Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    i love sky wrote:
    Is there anyway of getting BFBS on sky???

if not what other ways apart from online can i pick it up??

There is a sat multiplex, with all the editions of BFBS Radio 1 in FTA (free) on Eutelsat W3A Satellite ( at 7º East). It´s on 11324 V, 27500, 1/2 and it can be received by a FTA sat receiver with a 60 cm dish in the UK. BFBS TV and Radio 2 are encripted on that same frequency. But Radio 1 is FTA .

But also, there are some Medium Wave low power frequencies with BFBS Radio 1 programming and other languages :

1278 KHz

G - BFBS Nepali Service, Folkestone (LPAM) (0.001) - px in Nepali language for the Gurkha based at Sir John Moore Barracks, also some px in Gurkha language and English BFBS px; English news at 1000
    G - BFBS Gurkha Radio, Shorncliffe (0.001)

1287 KHz This one is BFBS Radio 1 N. Ireland and other services.

G - BFBS N. Ireland, various (0.001) - 10 txs in Lisburn, Aldergrove, Ballykelly, Omagh, Thiepval Barracks (Lisburn (HQ & studio)), Shackleton Barracks (Ballykelly), Lisanelly Barracks (Omagh), RAF Aldergrove, Ballykinder Camp (Ballykinder), Bessbrook Mill (Bessbrook), Mahon Barracks (Portadown), Palace Baracks (Hollywood), Clooney Barracks (Londonderry), Girdwood Barracks (Belfast).

1287 KHz

G - BFBS Gurkha Radio, various (0.001) - txs in Maidstone and Brecon (Powys)

I think it´s much better trying the satellite :D

http://www.emwg.info/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all of the replies. It seemed like a good place to start a radio career. I have done hospital radio and even been a Tech Op at a radio Station, but it seems so hard to get into! You would think with hundreds of stations out there, there would be room for 1 or 2 more presenters.

I have looked at the sites for BFBS and I noticed that a lot of top presenters have worked or work for them (e.g. Richard Allison from Radio 2) but there are a lot of presenters which have joined from hospital radio etc.

Where do they advertise? Would anyone recommend subscribing to the radio magazine or some other media mag?

Al
  • Options
    Jason KingJason King Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Having worked for BFBS in Germany for 2 years between 1998 and 2000 I can honestly say its a cracking place to work and given the chance I'd recommend it to anyone....... Why?

1: You'll work with people who love being involved in radio/TV.
    2: You'll do some amazing things in some amazing places like Iraq, The Falklands, Cyprus etc.
    3: You'll be challenged to make great radio in some strange environments a million miles away from anything ILR or the BBC is able to offer on a daily basis.
    4: You'll see the world and see a totally different side of life without having to join up.
    5: I could go on but won't if you'd like to know anything else please email me.

As for getting a job with them I sent a tape in on the off chance and had a couple of chats in Chalfont which lead to an interview and a very happy 2 years in Germany.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    many thanks for that Jason. That was really good of you to reply. I know your busy.

Al
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Al Tucker wrote:
    I'm really interested in getting into radio. I've done Hospital radio and would like to get into BFBS radio.

Has anyone worked for BFBS or does anyone know much about it?

From looking at websites there is a lot of pro's on there! which makes me think that its maybe not a place to get training - or is it?

Al

AL
    I am currently presenting a show on air for BFBS as I type. Get on their website my friend and send them a demo you never know your luck. www.ssvc.com/bfbs
    good luck
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I agree BFBS are a great company to work for, I presented bits for them in Germany, there are some well know presenters on there, most of which have worked them for years i.e Richard Allinson, Kal Sutherland, Dusty Miller etc.

There was an advert in the Radio Magazine last week,

Andy

Email andysaunders@huttonwsm.freeserve.co.uk
    Bridgwater's 107.4 BCR FM www.bcrfm.co.uk
    Garrison Radio www.garrisonradio.com
  • Options
    Phillip SwiftPhillip Swift Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted by mistake
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. I am tring to put together a demo as we speak.

Naughty question now, do they pay well. I guess you have free travel if you were sent somewhere but what about accomadation and pay (best get a job first, but it would be interesting to know)

You don't have to answer that one if you don't want.

Al
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Al Tucker wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I am tring to put together a demo as we speak.

Naughty question now, do they pay well. I guess you have free travel if you were sent somewhere but what about accomadation and pay (best get a job first, but it would be interesting to know)

You don't have to answer that one if you don't want.

Al

To be honest I don't know many radio stations that pay well :D
    But sometimes other perks offset it and sometimes they don't the decision has to be your own and negotiation is the way forward. I believe the last trawl for talent about 2 years ago was several thousand applicants for 4 jobs. From that you can assume your bargaining position is only good if you are Terry wogan, Moyles or other such.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I don't know many radio stations that pay well

You must be working for the wrong stations then.

I'm sure BFBS do get thousands of applications but I bet like every other radio station 95% of then are crap. Out of all of the demos that get sent to radio stations its shocking to see just how many of them are awful.

On the subject of BFBS like every other station their pay depends on your experience and how valuable you are to the company. The pay probably wouldn't be great at first but the experience you'll get will be great and if they like you they'll look after you.
  • Options
    Jason KingJason King Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Al asked do BFBS pay well?

In a word YES the package they offered me was the same overall amount a big ILR station had offered to join them but the benefits you got in addition to the salary make it very worthwhile...... I'm sure if you get an interview these will be explained to you.

That's if living and working in a different country aren't enough for you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You must be working for the wrong stations then.

I'm sure BFBS do get thousands of applications but I bet like every other radio station 95% of then are crap. Out of all of the demos that get sent to radio stations its shocking to see just how many of them are awful.

On the subject of BFBS like every other station their pay depends on your experience and how valuable you are to the company. The pay probably wouldn't be great at first but the experience you'll get will be great and if they like you they'll look after you.

Although I agree to an extent I went along to a station on the Costa and they wanted me to find my own sponsor, use my own music as theirs was limited. Most are not like that but BFBS only pay good money to those that have very good contracts from a long way back or have a name already in the wider sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I agree to an extent I went along to a station on the Costa and they wanted me to find my own sponsor, use my own music as theirs was limited. Most are not like that but BFBS only pay good money to those that have very good contracts from a long way back or have a name already in the wider sense.

For a start most stations on the Costa are pirates anyway and in no way compare to the UK either in quality of output or the money they pay.

With BFBS you'd get a bit more security than some ILR stations and the pay is on the same level ie if you're good and have a lot of experience you'll be paid accordingly. What you will get though is tax free living when working overseas, help with paying for your accomodation or in some cases that'll be free and extra money for working christmas, bank holidays and in some cases weekends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For a start most stations on the Costa are pirates anyway and in no way compare to the UK either in quality of output or the money they pay.

With BFBS you'd get a bit more security than some ILR stations and the pay is on the same level ie if you're good and have a lot of experience you'll be paid accordingly. What you will get though is tax free living when working overseas, help with paying for your accomodation or in some cases that'll be free and extra money for working christmas, bank holidays and in some cases weekends.

That is also true my friend. But REM is certainly not a pirate station just a little sharp :D
    Trouble is I like freelance and with BFBS it aint hot but I get to journalise in other ways so it ain't all bad. Bottom line as I said originally for Al go for it because he may enjoy it... I have known BFBS for almost 30 years and know it well lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Luck!!