Options

and the new name for GMR is....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
Forum Member
....BBC Radio Manchester.

Well....the old name for GMR! So a pat on the back to those who mentioned it weeks ago.

A welcome return

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/gmr/

My job is now done...time for a beer

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now all they need to do is sort the reception out, both on DAB (crappy CE Manchester mux) and 95.1 (hopeless)
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,179
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Cheshire RobskiCheshire Robski Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now they are dropping the 'Greater' part of BBC Radio Manchester, when is BBC Radio Cheshire starting?

Also, in a county completely diverse by accent and by identity, how are they going to cover the county with BBC Cheshire. Bare in mind that Macclesfield (in the east) and Chester (in the west) are almost 40 miles apart.

Macclesfield, Wilmslow and north east Cheshire is pretty much Manchester communting zone - Chester, Frodsham, Ellesmere Port, is getting on for Liverpool - Crewe and Congleton and surrounding areas, are almost in Stoke-on-Trent me'duck! ;)

The only area that is pure Cheshire is the middle of the county, Holmes Chapel, Middlewich, Winsford, Northwich, Knutsford - hardly an area that is large enough for it's own BBC local radio station.
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,898
    Forum Member
    UNcabled wrote:
    Now all they need to do is sort the reception out, both on DAB (crappy CE Manchester mux) and 95.1 (hopeless)
    i get 95.1 banging in here on the wirral, always have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So now they are dropping the 'Greater' part of BBC Radio Manchester, when is BBC Radio Cheshire starting?

Also, in a county completely diverse by accent and by identity, how are they going to cover the county with BBC Cheshire. Bare in mind that Macclesfield (in the east) and Chester (in the west) are almost 40 miles apart.

Macclesfield, Wilmslow and north east Cheshire is pretty much Manchester communting zone - Chester, Frodsham, Ellesmere Port, is getting on for Liverpool - Crewe and Congleton and surrounding areas, are almost in Stoke-on-Trent me'duck! ;)

The only area that is pure Cheshire is the middle of the county, Holmes Chapel, Middlewich, Winsford, Northwich, Knutsford - hardly an area that is large enough for it's own BBC local radio station.

I've mentioned on another thread about the county's boundaries which have changed so much since the sixties. Where would you define the broadcasting area for a possible Radio Cheshire?

For example - would you include Warrington, Runcorn and Widnes, which is still part of Cheshire, though was broken off into unitary authorities in 1998. Plus out of the three mentioned places, only Runcorn was in pre-1974 Cheshire. Talking about pre-1974 Cheshire - some people in Stockport, Altrincham, Sale, Hyde, Stalybridge, Birkenhead and Wallasey could claim to be Cheshire as well. Would the new station serve these parts, I doubt that for some reason - I also doubt Radio Lancashire would try and claim Bolton, Bury and Wigan etc. Even though Radio Lancashire is the chosen BBC station on cable within Wigan (or parts of it).

Or would they go for the safe option of the existing county council area from the Welsh border in the west to Macc in the east, down to the Staffordshire/Shropshire border?
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably in a similar way that BBC Radio Lancashire manages to cover the whole of the county from the rural north, deprived easy, populas central and Manchester commuter belt south including parts of Merseyside (Southport) and Greater Manchester (Bolton, Bury, Wigan)... Towns don't have to be mutually exclusivlly covered by a single station as people will listen to whichever they prefer - i.e. someone living in Stockport but working in Stoke-On-Trent might prefer BBC Stoke, while there neighbour working in Salford might prefer BBC Radio Manchester.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kev wrote:
    Probably in a similar way that BBC Radio Lancashire manages to cover the whole of the county from the rural north, deprived easy, populas central and Manchester commuter belt south including parts of Merseyside (Southport) and Greater Manchester (Bolton, Bury, Wigan)... Towns don't have to be mutually exclusivlly covered by a single station as people will listen to whichever they prefer - i.e. someone living in Stockport but working in Stoke-On-Trent might prefer BBC Stoke, while there neighbour working in Salford might prefer BBC Radio Manchester.

Okay - how about editorial area for the new station?
    (How about a new thread for Radio Cheshire as well)
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Multiplex wrote:
    Okay - how about editorial area for the new station?
    (How about a new thread for Radio Cheshire as well)

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=311275

It's not a new thread though.